collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 890629 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #4155 on: September 13, 2021, 11:52:00 AM »
Errors or not Tyrone Mings has been good for resurgence of our club.

Absolutely but nor can you ignore his habit of dropping horrible ricks regularly. Giving Steer any blame for that one is ridiculous. Mings was very poor for the third too.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4156 on: September 13, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
It feels to me like Tyrone's chance-costing ricks are fewer and further between than in our first season up? Yes, Saturday was bad - and he's held his hands up about that - but it feels to me like he's much more consistent than he was in 2019/20?

He's not Virgil Van Dijk, clearly, so he's always going to make the odd mistake, but I do wonder if his form from 2 or 3 years ago gives people a false impression of how many mistakes he actually makes now?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4157 on: September 13, 2021, 12:51:29 PM »
I really like him as a man and as a player but he makes me nervous more than our other defenders. He was a bit lucky that Calum Wilson left him for dead but missed his chance at 0-0 the other week at VP. The rick against Fulham on Easter Monday was boneheaded. I think he's too casual at times and...minor point, but I don't like my players chewing chewing gum while they're playing, either. You're in class now, put it in the bin.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4158 on: September 13, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
His Woolworths mop hair annoys me.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4159 on: September 13, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »
His Woolworths mop hair annoys me.

I'm a bit jealous too, Brian.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4160 on: September 13, 2021, 02:54:57 PM »
It feels to me like Tyrone's chance-costing ricks are fewer and further between than in our first season up? Yes, Saturday was bad - and he's held his hands up about that - but it feels to me like he's much more consistent than he was in 2019/20?

He's not Virgil Van Dijk, clearly, so he's always going to make the odd mistake, but I do wonder if his form from 2 or 3 years ago gives people a false impression of how many mistakes he actually makes now?
Not really if you look at the stats linked above.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4161 on: September 13, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »

Thought he was average/poor for the first half of last season (Bamford, Wellbeck...) but finished the season strongly, one of the few when we were without Grealish. His mistakes generally come from overplaying the ball but this was just a standard backpass he messed up. Similar to Fulham last season.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4162 on: September 13, 2021, 10:58:05 PM »
I love Tyrone, but I think he suffers from a lot of his errors being in possession (as opposed to positional) and so being much more noticeable.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4163 on: September 13, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »

Thought he was average/poor for the first half of last season (Bamford, Wellbeck...) but finished the season strongly, one of the few when we were without Grealish. His mistakes generally come from overplaying the ball but this was just a standard backpass he messed up. Similar to Fulham last season.

I think this is right, and it seem to me that this coincided with him playing the ball less in potentially dangerous situations and on some occasions just playing the percentages and booting it into row z. Nothing wrong with this as a defender and God himself did this frequently when needs must. It felt to me that post xmas someone (Smith, Terry ??) had a word with Tyrone about the time to play the ball and the time to boot it sway, i dont know this of course.
Anyway he needs to stick to that kind of decision making.
Still love the bloke and glads hes out skipper.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4164 on: September 14, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
I love Tyrone and will always back him.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4165 on: September 14, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »
Me too, for many reasons.  Well said Daz.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4166 on: September 14, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »
Yep, j'agree!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4167 on: September 14, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »
I highlighted some stats above re Tyrone making mistakes because it was being discussed and I think it's pointless contending that he doesn't make more errors than a lot of other defenders.

But he is much more than that.  On the field he is a colossus. He is brave, puts his body on the line time and again and has saved us countless times with tackles and blocks.  He leads our defence and takes responsibility to dominate our area from corners and free kicks.  He is a born leader of the team.  Yes he has a mistake in him, but he plays for a progressive manager who wants his defenders to take responsibility on the ball.  If he played for Burnley or Newcastle his mistakes would be far fewer. 

Off the field he is class personified, eloquent and stands up for things I want my captain to stand up for.

He played a huge part in our promotion push and consolidating our place in the Premier League.  I honestly believe he is one of the most important signings we have made in the last 10 years.  Even with his mistakes we are a better team when he plays.  I think there's plenty of areas that need improving before we outgrow Mings.

Mistakes or not for me, as the thread title says, he is confirmed as awesome.  I'm proud he is captain of my club and I hope he is for a few more years yet.

Online malckennedy

« Reply #4168 on: September 14, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »
I highlighted some stats above re Tyrone making mistakes because it was being discussed and I think it's pointless contending that he doesn't make more errors than a lot of other defenders.

But he is much more than that.  On the field he is a colossus. He is brave, puts his body on the line time and again and has saved us countless times with tackles and blocks.  He leads our defence and takes responsibility to dominate our area from corners and free kicks.  He is a born leader of the team.  Yes he has a mistake in him, but he plays for a progressive manager who wants his defenders to take responsibility on the ball.  If he played for Burnley or Newcastle his mistakes would be far fewer. 

Off the field he is class personified, eloquent and stands up for things I want my captain to stand up for.

He played a huge part in our promotion push and consolidating our place in the Premier League.  I honestly believe he is one of the most important signings we have made in the last 10 years.  Even with his mistakes we are a better team when he plays.  I think there's plenty of areas that need improving before we outgrow Mings.

Mistakes or not for me, as the thread title says, he is confirmed as awesome.  I'm proud he is captain of my club and I hope he is for a few more years yet.

I totally agree with everything you say.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4169 on: September 14, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »

I totally agree with everything you say.

Nice one Chris!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal