collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan v Villa post-match thread  (Read 31028 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Wigan v Villa post-match thread
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
I think the Bolasie should be sent back. Now.
People keep saying this.  Isn’t it a season long loan - can we actually send him back?

More to the point we were happy enough with him when we were scoring for fun a few weeks ago.  He could well have a role to play for us yer

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
Ever since we got relegated we have appeared to be buying the right players who had been outstanding in this division to get us out of it.....Chester, De Laet, Elphick, Taylor, Hourihane, Adomah, Lansbury, McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia.

They come to us and they turn to shite....overnight in some cases.

How long before McGuinn is ruined?

How many players have we bought over the last 3 years that have been for the future (probably only McGinn and Bree).  We have bought a team of individuals and supplemented them with short term loans. We have spent money on players (at the start of RDM) that are 3 years older and virtually finished at this level. We have then added to them.

Online Allan C

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
I considered today a bellwether for Smith's reign after the Swansea defeat, perhaps, looking positively, we can postpone it 'till these upcoming home games and make a judgement at the end of the month?
You can judge Smith when he’s signed his own players and got rid of Bruce’s
That's going to take ages.
Indeed it is. Like I said before, I estimate three windows at least including this one

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
It's because we bought long term to no real plan. Bruce was clueless.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
People keep saying this.  Isn’t it a season long loan - can we actually send him back?

More to the point we were happy enough with him when we were scoring for fun a few weeks ago.  He could well have a role to play for us yer

I agree. He was woeful yesterday but he wasn't the only one.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »

If clubs can recall a player then surely they can also be sent back if it doesn’t work out?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »

I agree. He was woeful yesterday but he wasn't the only one.

It is getting to the point where we need to consider if we still need him (assuming we could send him back). For the money we are supposed to be paying him, there is a feeling that you have to play him.  He is too much of an individual and could be the 'icing on the cake' for a team doing well but no use in building a team.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
Fuck it, I’m going to say it again.
Compare us to Leeds who changed their manager a few months before us.
Our squad ‘theoretically’ is miles better than theirs and yet they are playing a different game to us.

And soon, a different division.

He clearly also trusts his younger players. Some of them don't look like they've started shaving yet but clearly they work well as a team and all put in a shift.

We need to ship out wasters like Bolasie for a start. Quality gets you so far, when you haven't got the heart or desire then we're wasting our time and money.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »
Wingers are always inconsistent, when he’s on it he’s close to unplayable. He’s emblematic of Deans tenure so far, either brilliant or atrocious.

Whilst we still have a shot at the play offs I’d keep him here but maybe use as an impact sub more often than not.

Online dorsetvillian

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
Certainly one of the worst collective performances I've seen in in 40 years. I just can't put into words how shambolic the team were,from first to last minute. Its hard to see how we mount any sort of run after that, it was so bad. All very depressing after such a positive run of games under DS. I'm accepting we are the new Leeds and will spend a considerable time in the Championship.

Online achilles

« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
At least it was a positive seeing that liability of a footballer, Hutton, getting dropped yesterday, all to the utter delight of many posters here!

Yes, we played so much better without him, being rock stolid in defence and with scintillating full backs, defending and attacking with passion!

We kept the score down to only three goals conceded to the mighty Wigan who are (not by a long way) the form team of the league.

All in all very positive then, hopefully we won't see Hutton again as all our ills have been solved now with the dropping of him and we can all hopefully move onto a more deserving scapegoat, although I somehow doubt it!

As an aside the team has to give the crowd something to cheer about, (not ONE shot on target in the whole game), more atmosphere in the concourse before the game than at anytime during the game. UTV 

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »
Wingers are always inconsistent, when he’s on it he’s close to unplayable. He’s emblematic of Deans tenure so far, either brilliant or atrocious.

Whilst we still have a shot at the play offs I’d keep him here but maybe use as an impact sub more often than not.

I've never seen him brilliant, let alone unplayable. He's put in a few 'good' performances and done occasional 'impressive' things in an otherwise mediocre performance but that's about it. He looks like a nut job to me, a complete individual that goes against what I hope Smith will be trying to build here. He's by no means been a failure but if he was sent back i'd understand why and wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

As for Hourahane, I've never been convinced. He does score a cracking free kick from time to time and is certainly useful on the bench but for a promotion gaining team he's not good enough to be in the 11. Quite an arrogant fucker as well, which never goes down well with me unless they really have something to be arrogant about.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:35:35 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline Villa75

« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:53 AM »
At least it was a positive seeing that liability of a footballer, Hutton, getting dropped yesterday, all to the utter delight of many posters here!

Yes, we played so much better without him, being rock stolid in defence and with scintillating full backs, defending and attacking with passion!

We kept the score down to only three goals conceded to the mighty Wigan who are (not by a long way) the form team of the league.

All in all very positive then, hopefully we won't see Hutton again as all our ills have been solved now with the dropping of him and we can all hopefully move onto a more deserving scapegoat, although I somehow doubt it!

As an aside the team has to give the crowd something to cheer about, (not ONE shot on target in the whole game), more atmosphere in the concourse before the game than at anytime during the game. UTV

Ah, but you're forgetting Gabby still playing and dragging us down. Not to mention his negative influence in the dressing room since the Swansea match. How's a top manager supposed to cope with that!?

;D

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »
Guess Smith has given up on Hogan too if he didn't bring him on yesterday ?

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

Who's that, then?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal