collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan v Villa post-match thread  (Read 31073 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Wigan v Villa post-match thread
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
It was a horrible one, but that's the Championship.

Anyway, my attempt to rationalise a bit what might be going on: I think that Smith's methods need every player to really buy into them and bust a gut, and after the last minute robbery at West Brom, a lot of the players have probably thought that promotion this season is not happening and therefore the level of motivation/enthusiasm/effort/"buying into" has dropped off a cliff.  This might be subconscious, or even conscious especially with the loaned players, but either way, Smith for most players is not a manager with gravitas or a name for himself in football circles so again, either subconsciously or consciously the players will not go that extra yard simply for the manager.  Contrast with Bielsa who does have a name in the game, therefore his players might still be willing to keep following the manager's directions even if the team is on a run of bad form.

The other explanation might be that we as a club really are cursed to always play this way, and no combination of manager, players or owners will make any difference at all.

Offline Bermuda Villa

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »
Lets see what Dean is made of over the next few games... he has been let down by players for the last half dozen games and made noises in his post match interview today. The very least I expect to see is several of these players being dropped ...Taylor, Hourihane, Bolasie, Whelan and even better would be to end Bolasie loan to show these highly paid wasters that he will not put up with a lack of effort and indifference, its a position we have plenty of cover in and helps our FFP. Hopefully he can also supplement these actions with a couple of new signings who may even listen to what he is asking them to do.

Its a fine line between supporting players in public and showing them who is boss which seems harder to do in this age of player power but now is the time.....it will also get the supporters onside to see less talk and more action.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
I think the Bolasie should be sent back. Now.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2019, 09:07:05 PM »
How about this?

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1084129031564468224

Kortney Hause and Glen Whelan, ladies and gentlemen.

dreadful but was never a penalty in a million years

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2019, 09:08:51 PM »
Those players don’t deserve the support they get. Today was right up there with the worst performances, and there are lots of them to choose from. In short, I wouldn’t miss any of them if we got rid, bar Jack and McGinn. Today was an absolute disgrace, of which they should be ashamed. A pox on their million pound houses.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
Lets see what Dean is made of over the next few games... he has been let down by players for the last half dozen games and made noises in his post match interview today. The very least I expect to see is several of these players being dropped ...Taylor, Hourihane, Bolasie, Whelan and even better would be to end Bolasie loan to show these highly paid wasters that he will not put up with a lack of effort and indifference, its a position we have plenty of cover in and helps our FFP. Hopefully he can also supplement these actions with a couple of new signings who may even listen to what he is asking them to do.

Its a fine line between supporting players in public and showing them who is boss which seems harder to do in this age of player power but now is the time.....it will also get the supporters onside to see less talk and more action.

I agree with all of that, but Smith has been found just as wanting as the players.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
Has Smith taken us as far as he can?

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
I considered today a bellwether for Smith's reign after the Swansea defeat, perhaps, looking positively, we can postpone it 'till these upcoming home games and make a judgement at the end of the month?

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »
Has Smith taken us as far as he can?

I’m really hoping you are being ironic !

Online jwarry

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »
I find it a slap in the face and quite frankly an insult that Smith has the nerve to question the referees performance here, the ref should be the furthest thing from his thoughts.

WE HAVE JUST BEEN BATTERED 3-0 BY WIGAN WITHOUT A SINGLE SHOT ON TARGET IN 90+ MINUTES!

How about you get in that f'n dressing room instead and do what should have been done after the Swansea debacle and start wiping the floor with the laziest, cudnt give a toss, disinterested players that you are supposed to be managing.

What coaching or management has he done during the week exactly to try remedy the cup game?.....whatever it was its made things worse.

Yup

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »
So far Smith seems too soft.  Needs to rip them all a new arsehole.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
I’m sure what he said to the cameras compared to what he said in the dressing room was like night and day.
For about 10 seconds today we were 7th. If we can get back to back wins we’ll be back around the Playoff spots again.
Glass always half full for me I’m afraid.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »
I find it a slap in the face and quite frankly an insult that Smith has the nerve to question the referees performance here, the ref should be the furthest thing from his thoughts.

WE HAVE JUST BEEN BATTERED 3-0 BY WIGAN WITHOUT A SINGLE SHOT ON TARGET IN 90+ MINUTES!

How about you get in that f'n dressing room instead and do what should have been done after the Swansea debacle and start wiping the floor with the laziest, cudnt give a toss, disinterested players that you are supposed to be managing.

What coaching or management has he done during the week exactly to try remedy the cup game?.....whatever it was its made things worse.

Yup
I have to agree. Driving back, I just couldn't believe Smith was looking for an excuse with the referee after what was an utterly inexcusable performance.

We gave a team short of confidence on a dreadful run, a reason to somehow believe, and for the 6th game in a row we were caught regularly by diagonal balls to the flanks. So nothing learnt there.

The triple substitution involved a change in personnel, a cameo of the worst debut in ages, if not of all time, and significantly, absolutely no change in tactics or effort.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »
I considered today a bellwether for Smith's reign after the Swansea defeat, perhaps, looking positively, we can postpone it 'till these upcoming home games and make a judgement at the end of the month?
You can judge Smith when he’s signed his own players and got rid of Bruce’s

Online Taylor

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
I wonder if the players are fit enough to play the way Smith wants them to. It's the only explanation I have because for the life of me, I cannot believe how shit we've become.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal