collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

Re: FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:38:02 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

Re: FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 802330 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #8025 on: December 19, 2022, 01:34:47 PM »
Yes, brilliant to watch.  My concern is that as with any tactical innovation in sport, the opposition will work out ways to nullify it or decide to fight fire with fire.  This summer's Ashes series played as a bazball showdown could easily go the way of Australia.

The two tests in New Zealand in the New Year will be a test.  NZ very rarely lose tests at home, so it will be a challenge.  Nice to be really looking forward to seeing them play tests again though!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #8026 on: December 20, 2022, 09:04:30 AM »
Wrapped that up nice and quickly this morning.  That is a memorable series win for so many reasons and tgere have been so many excellent performances along the way.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8027 on: December 20, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
Yes, brilliant to watch.  My concern is that as with any tactical innovation in sport, the opposition will work out ways to nullify it or decide to fight fire with fire.  This summer's Ashes series played as a bazball showdown could easily go the way of Australia.

So be it, 10 months ago this team was a fucking embarrassment, having been smashed in the ashes and looked like a team in terminal decline against the West Indies. Since then big series wins over NZ and SA, a big test win against India and now a phenomenal series win (and probably whitewash) away in Pakistan. Whether it works long-term or not we've found an identity afters years of cautious mediocrity and, I suspect, we've changed test match cricket forever (and for the better).

English sport has spent years stymying itself through fear of losing and some fucked-up. self-imposed traditionalism that saw other countries overtaking us with innovation and creativity, I hope the FA and RFU get with the program and give themselves a similar kick up the arse.

Yes indeed. They've made test cricket worth watching again. As you say, the team previously was just an embarrassment, lurching from one dismal result to another. Can't wait for the Ashes now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8028 on: December 20, 2022, 11:02:17 AM »
This is an incredible turn around in English cricket. Just play don’t worry about you can’t do this and you can’t do that. Some of us spent many miserable hours watching dull, laborious, conventional cricket in the 3 Test matches in the Caribbean only 8/9 months ago, truly painful eye watering stuff so now to see this is absolutely brilliant, truly amazing. Well done all but mainly Baz and Stokes.

Offline Risso

« Reply #8029 on: December 20, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
A year or so ago we were casting around for the least shit people we could find to put in the team, usually people who'd failed before, but given another chance because there was nobody else. Also wondering just how bad it was going to be once Anderson and Broad finished for good. Now people are questioning if Bairstow can get back in the team.

Online manic-road

« Reply #8030 on: December 20, 2022, 11:23:34 AM »
A brilliant series win, England made history on so many occasions in the series.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8031 on: December 20, 2022, 08:10:48 PM »
Can't wait for the Ashes,

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #8032 on: December 22, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »
Jofra Archer in the England squad for South Africa, delighted for him.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #8033 on: December 23, 2022, 02:11:02 AM »
He's certainly waited long enough! Over a year, isn't it?

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8034 on: December 23, 2022, 03:24:13 AM »
I'd be very surprised if he returns in the way that was expected of him. He's not Brett Lee, he's not going to be a regular pace merchant with red & white ball. Clearly, from all the injuries he's had, while still a young man.

That kind of pace is rare, but even rarer is the ability to sustain it. I think decisions must be made about where we want to focus his talents.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #8035 on: December 23, 2022, 07:09:01 AM »
I'd be very surprised if he returns in the way that was expected of him. He's not Brett Lee, he's not going to be a regular pace merchant with red & white ball. Clearly, from all the injuries he's had, while still a young man.

That kind of pace is rare, but even rarer is the ability to sustain it. I think decisions must be made about where we want to focus his talents.

I’d prefer it if Archer and Wood were fit and could bowl in tandem in the Ashes next summer. However I imagine that Archer will concentrate on white ball cricket and make a small fortune playing in franchise leagues alongside his England commitments.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #8036 on: December 23, 2022, 10:49:46 AM »

I’d prefer it if Archer and Wood were fit and could bowl in tandem in the Ashes next summer. However I imagine that Archer will concentrate on white ball cricket and make a small fortune playing in franchise leagues alongside his England commitments.

Not sure you would need both in English conditions to be honest.  Jimmy will obviously play if he's still able, with Broad and Robinson being the other two opening options.  We then need that 'enforcer' type who can come on and bowl quick, hostile spells and then Stokes is that fourth seam option.  Could potentially see Wood and Archer rotating in that 'enforcer role if both are fit enough. 

Where we could really do with both in the side is away from home, particularly in Australia, but can't see that being a possibility really.

Offline Risso

« Reply #8037 on: December 23, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »
There was talk last week that Jofra is going to bin test cricket. I would guess he needs to see how his body holds up now he's fit.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #8038 on: December 24, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »
Be a shame if this is true. I thought Jofra was badly used by Root at times.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8039 on: December 24, 2022, 09:29:20 PM »
Be a shame if this is true. I thought Jofra was badly used by Root at times.

If a player with that pace is bowling more than 4 overs in a spell then the captain doesn't know how to use him, in my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal