collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 801153 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #7230 on: June 28, 2022, 12:17:53 PM »
This new England attitude will need to be reigned in a bit. eg Stokes' doesn't need to go all out from ball one. His best innings are sometimes slow builders followed by attack.

Also, if England are one ahead in the series during the fifth test against Australia, no way should they be taking on a run chase or declaring in the cause of entertainment
Maybe the poor punter who has paid around £300 (tickets plus other expenses) for couple days cricket in that match would want to be entertained?

They might want to be, but they shouldn't be.

If England are one ahead in the Ashes and batting in the second innings of the final test, it's the second coming of Chris Tavare that's required

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7231 on: June 28, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
This new England attitude will need to be reigned in a bit. eg Stokes' doesn't need to go all out from ball one. His best innings are sometimes slow builders followed by attack.

Agree.

If he was just a biff merchant then fair enough, but he's got a soild defence. When he can be bothered to use it.  Ben Stokes still in after 100 + deliveries is usually demoralising enough for any attack. And if he is still in at that stage, chances are he's at a run-a-ball . Or close to it. He can do that without going into 20/20 mode.

Bairstow's interview the other day was quite telling, they wanted to put Boult and Southee off their lengths and knew they wouldn't do it just by sitting in.  That's fair enough - and the method he's employed obv worked and then some over his past two innings.

Will be interesting to see how this approach plays out in the subcontinent. It's usually about slow grind there more than anywhere else to build an innings. A swashbucking 30-40 runs in 20 minutes won't normally cut it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7232 on: June 28, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »

Also, if England are one ahead in the series during the fifth test against Australia, no way should they be taking on a run chase or declaring in the cause of entertainment
Maybe the poor punter who has paid around £300 (tickets plus other expenses) for couple days cricket in that match would want to be entertained?

They might want to be, but they shouldn't be.

If England are one ahead in the Ashes and batting in the second innings of the final test, it's the second coming of Chris Tavare that's required

The problem is if you make it clear that you only plan is to survive any decent captain will surround the bat with catchers and make you play at as many balls as possible, one of the reasons 4th innings chases are considered difficult is because the batting team all too often tries to secure the draw first rather than trying to scare the bowling team into watching the scoreboard. Scoreboard pressure is the most fundamental factor in cricket, seeing your lead get whittled away is demoralising, even if you have plenty of runs to play with.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7233 on: June 28, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
The other fringe benefit this approach brings is that it will make opposition captains more cautious when making declarations even when England are up against it. That will mean less time go bat even when they’re in a position where they have to save a game.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #7234 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:42 PM »
England Women probably looking at a first innings deficit in the Test.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #7235 on: June 28, 2022, 08:35:12 PM »
Almost a great win for Ireland over India. Just failed to chase down 225 in the 2nd T20

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #7236 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:00 AM »
Who’s off to Edgbaston for the India test? I’m going on day 4 and depending on how the game is positioned I will go on day 5 too

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #7237 on: June 29, 2022, 09:43:14 AM »
Who’s off to Edgbaston for the India test? I’m going on day 4 and depending on how the game is positioned I will go on day 5 too
I'm actually sat here at home printing my tickets off for first 4 days plus the for the ODI on 9th.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #7238 on: June 29, 2022, 10:18:03 AM »
Saturday for me. And hopefully Monday and Tuesday too. Had to turn down several offers for  Friday - gutted. Hoping Warwick can secure a home quarter final tie in the Blast as well as the forecast for next week looks good.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #7239 on: June 30, 2022, 09:14:42 AM »
England not coming to Christchurch when they travel here in Summer. Only two tests?? Seems pretty stupid.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #7240 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:19 AM »

Saturday for me. I'm under strict instructions to remain fairly sober due to attending a 40th party in the evening.
'Can't promise that I'm afraid...'

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #7241 on: June 30, 2022, 09:49:19 AM »
England Women probably looking at a first innings deficit in the Test.

Watched a fair bit of this. Two Warwickshire players in the team. Last night one of them, Issy Wong, Probably the fastest bowler in womens cricket was steaming in. 5 overs, 2 for 6.  What was amusing was the crowd giving it loud Jimmy style on her run up.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #7242 on: June 30, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »
Me too. Apart from being a competitive game, both sides play as if they are having a great time.

I miss Sarah Taylor though. A marvellous wicket keeper, and strong batter she’s now wicket keeper coach to all age groups (including the men’s first team) in the Sussex CCC.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #7243 on: June 30, 2022, 03:02:04 PM »
Sciver and ADR certainly turned the game on it's head after my original post

Another pitch inspection at 3:15

Unless SA collapse, it's looking drawish

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #7244 on: June 30, 2022, 03:25:37 PM »
During the rain delay, the England players have been out signing autographs for young fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal