collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 814716 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #7215 on: June 27, 2022, 02:37:37 PM »
Yorkshire win the test.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7216 on: June 27, 2022, 03:08:06 PM »
Remarkable stuff from England again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7217 on: June 27, 2022, 05:21:54 PM »
What a transformation, blimey. I think I read this morning that it's the first time a test team have chased down 250+ three tests in a row. Seems a life time ago now that you'd start to get nervous anytime England were set 150+ to win.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7218 on: June 27, 2022, 06:25:57 PM »
And you look at how Silverwood is really sorting out Sri Lanka- makes you realise the set up was all wrong.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7219 on: June 27, 2022, 07:48:51 PM »
What a transformation, blimey. I think I read this morning that it's the first time a test team have chased down 250+ three tests in a row. Seems a life time ago now that you'd start to get nervous anytime England were set 150+ to win.
There is a myth that's built around 4th inning's chase in Test cricket. I have never understood why it is so particularly these days when pitches don't really break up. The biggest satisfying factor was not so much the 4 chases  but England's resilience to keep recovering and staying in the game again and again. This has been very demoralising for the Kiwis.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7220 on: June 27, 2022, 07:56:48 PM »
There is a myth that's built around 4th inning's chase in Test cricket. I have never understood why it is so particularly these days when pitches don't really break up. The biggest satisfying factor was not so much the 4 chases  but England's resilience to keep recovering and staying in the game again and again. This has been very demoralising for the Kiwis.

It's not just the pitches but time and weather as well. I agree that it is less a factor in recent years, but there have only been four over 400 in the entire history of test cricket.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7221 on: June 27, 2022, 09:00:19 PM »

It's not just the pitches but time and weather as well. I agree that it is less a factor in recent years, but there have only been four over 400 in the entire history of test cricket.

True but how many times do teams need to score 400 and have the time left to give it a shot?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7222 on: June 27, 2022, 10:51:23 PM »
Fantastic to be so positive about England cricket again.  Cracking series against a truly sporting side who play the game in the right way.   Hope to see more of this against the India side next week.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7223 on: June 27, 2022, 11:06:04 PM »
What sort of chase could you declare on nowadays?  If the chase total get higher will it make it less fun or will teams be obligated to tee off earlier in their second innings?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:52:24 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #7224 on: June 28, 2022, 08:21:41 AM »
New Zealand tour dates confirmed 16-20 Feb Mount Manganui 24-28 Feb Wellington (day / night tests seemingly).

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #7225 on: June 28, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »
This new England attitude will need to be reigned in a bit. eg Stokes' doesn't need to go all out from ball one. His best innings are sometimes slow builders followed by attack.

Also, if England are one ahead in the series during the fifth test against Australia, no way should they be taking on a run chase or declaring in the cause of entertainment

Offline Risso

« Reply #7226 on: June 28, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »

True but how many times do teams need to score 400 and have the time left to give it a shot?

Well that was my point. a high-ish run chase in the 4th innings isn't a myth because you've usually got one or all of the score, time and pitch against you.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #7227 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:21 AM »
New Zealand tour dates confirmed 16-20 Feb Mount Manganui 24-28 Feb Wellington (day / night tests seemingly).
Brilliant. Hopefully see you out there :) And only one home game v Arsenal missed.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #7228 on: June 28, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
This new England attitude will need to be reigned in a bit. eg Stokes' doesn't need to go all out from ball one. His best innings are sometimes slow builders followed by attack.

Also, if England are one ahead in the series during the fifth test against Australia, no way should they be taking on a run chase or declaring in the cause of entertainment
Maybe the poor punter who has paid around £300 (tickets plus other expenses) for couple days cricket in that match would want to be entertained?

Offline olaftab

« Reply #7229 on: June 28, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »

Well that was my point. a high-ish run chase in the 4th innings isn't a myth because you've usually got one or all of the score, time and pitch against you.
However it's been a mental block for so long. Not many teams attempted anything close to 300. So just like that match in Kolkata when asking teams to follow on become extinct these 3 wins are going to change the approach to 4th inning's chase in Test cricket.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal