collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 802616 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #5775 on: October 25, 2021, 10:13:37 PM »
Scotland cricket team putting in a Scotland football team type performance.

Afghanistan are going to pose some real problems on these pitches with their spinners.  Still not entirely sure that they should be playing international sport given what is going on in that country, but that is a different argument. 

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #5776 on: October 26, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Unless he has a very good reason, Quinton appears to be a bit of a Kock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59051327

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5777 on: October 26, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »
Isn't he famously a moron? Or am I thinking of one of the other Saffers? I'm sure one of them is rumoured to have an unusually low IQ.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5778 on: October 26, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
Nominative determinism in action.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #5779 on: October 26, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
Reckon Pakistan will win the cup, look strong in all departments.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5780 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:20 PM »

It’s baffling. Whether you think the gesture is worthwhile or not you must feel really strongly about something to remove yourself from the World Cup. I can’t see it meaning anything other than what you’d think it means.

Offline Rory

« Reply #5781 on: October 26, 2021, 11:09:14 PM »
Reckon Pakistan will win the cup, look strong in all departments.

They do look fantastic.

Offline Rory

« Reply #5782 on: October 26, 2021, 11:16:55 PM »

It’s baffling. Whether you think the gesture is worthwhile or not you must feel really strongly about something to remove yourself from the World Cup. I can’t see it meaning anything other than what you’d think it means.

Agreed Paul. Unless his entire family were killed while taking mass, I cannot understand his decision.

If it's gesture politics, along the lines of 'I don't kneel for any man' then he's hardly Muhammad Ali. It's not as if he's required to sacrifice white children for Kwanzaa.

The cricket captain of a country with a deeply racist past (and present) choosing not to make a gesture of solidarity with his teammates and countrymen - well, it's not a good look.

I'd be ashamed if Root or Morgan did the same without extraordinary mitigation.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5783 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:07 PM »

Agreed Paul. Unless his entire family were killed while taking mass, I cannot understand his decision.

If it's gesture politics, along the lines of 'I don't kneel for any man' then he's hardly Muhammad Ali. It's not as if he's required to sacrifice white children for Kwanzaa.

The cricket captain of a country with a deeply racist past (and present) choosing not to make a gesture of solidarity with his teammates and countrymen - well, it's not a good look.

Someone saying on the radio earlier that he has a history of being supportive to players from other ethnic backgrounds and working in communities. 

Perhaps he doesn't feel that the cricket authorities should be ordering the team and him as captain, to do things.  I went over there to watch England last year and it was clear that there were major issues between the cricketing authorities and players, which seemingly haven't been resolved since. 

Offline Rory

« Reply #5784 on: October 26, 2021, 11:47:48 PM »

Someone saying on the radio earlier that he has a history of being supportive to players from other ethnic backgrounds and working in communities. 

Perhaps he doesn't feel that the cricket authorities should be ordering the team and him as captain, to do things.  I went over there to watch England last year and it was clear that there were major issues between the cricketing authorities and players, which seemingly haven't been resolved since.

Thanks for the insight, Tom.

You'd think they would've worked this out beforehand. It's not turned out well for them, bit of a PR fuck up.

If the BBC are correct, it sounds like it could be a bit of friction between CSA (who allow kneeling, a fist salute or standing to attention) and the ICC (who presumably are requesting players take a knee).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5785 on: October 26, 2021, 11:52:24 PM »
It's pretty pathetic that any player goes out of their way to avoid showing solidarity with victims of racism. It's particularly repugnant given his country's history. It is entirely understandable that South Africa want to show the world that those days are behind them, and he's an arse for opposing their efforts.

All players in just about every international sport have been required to stand respectfully during their (and their opponents') national anthem for years. Basically none of them ever seemed to have a problem with their liberty being restricted then.

If the tipping point for him is when his cricket board asks him to show solidarity with victims of racism, including Apartheid, then it is him that is the problem, not the cricket board or the ICC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:55:59 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Rory

« Reply #5786 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:51 AM »
It's pretty pathetic that any player goes out of their way to avoid showing solidarity with victims of racism. It's particularly repugnant given his country's history. It is entirely understandable that South Africa want to show the world that those days are behind them, and he's an arse for opposing their efforts.

All players in just about every international sport have been required to stand respectfully during their (and their opponents') national anthem for years. Basically none of them ever seemed to have a problem with their liberty being restricted then.

If the tipping point for him is when his cricket board asks him to show solidarity with victims of racism, including Apartheid, then it is him that is the problem, not the cricket board or the ICC.

Agreed as ever, CD.

For him to say his reasons are personal - that doesn't sound good to me. In the grand scheme of things, what issue can someone realistically have with taking a knee to support their black teammates?

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #5787 on: October 27, 2021, 07:01:46 AM »

Great post CD, exactly how I see things as well.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5788 on: October 27, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
England are looking very good against Bangladesh with Woakes and Moeen leading from the front. Currently Bangladesh are 71-4 after 12.2

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #5789 on: October 27, 2021, 02:05:46 PM »
Comfortable win. Bring on the Aussies.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal