collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 802062 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #5790 on: October 27, 2021, 02:21:13 PM »

Someone saying on the radio earlier that he has a history of being supportive to players from other ethnic backgrounds and working in communities. 

Perhaps he doesn't feel that the cricket authorities should be ordering the team and him as captain, to do things.  I went over there to watch England last year and it was clear that there were major issues between the cricketing authorities and players, which seemingly haven't been resolved since. 

QdK isn't captain any more, Bavuma is

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #5791 on: October 27, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
If anyone wants to watch/listen to the Scottish innings, you'd better be quick. This might not last very long

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #5792 on: October 27, 2021, 03:07:31 PM »
Three wickets down and we're still in the first over

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5793 on: October 27, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
Scorecard was hilarious. No runs off the bat

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5794 on: October 27, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »
Impressive from England again. You’d imagine that if we beat Australia on Saturday we’ll almost be through.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5795 on: October 27, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
Impressive from England again. You’d imagine that if we beat Australia on Saturday we’ll almost be through.

Looking forward to the game against the Aussies on Saturday and although it's in a completely different format, the chance to just put a bit of a marker down before the Ashes. 

Thought the Bangladesh game might have been a bit of a tricky one, but we navigated it comfortably.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5796 on: October 28, 2021, 12:04:52 PM »
It's pretty pathetic that any player goes out of their way to avoid showing solidarity with victims of racism. It's particularly repugnant given his country's history. It is entirely understandable that South Africa want to show the world that those days are behind them, and he's an arse for opposing their efforts.

All players in just about every international sport have been required to stand respectfully during their (and their opponents') national anthem for years. Basically none of them ever seemed to have a problem with their liberty being restricted then.

If the tipping Zpoint for him is when his cricket board asks him to show solidarity with victims of racism, including Apartheid, then it is him that is the problem, not the cricket board or the ICC.

Turns out that he is mixed race and his issue was with the authorities in SA instructing players that they had to do something.  Glad it has been resolved though, as he is a terrific cricketer and the tournament is better with him involved.

Offline Rory

« Reply #5797 on: October 28, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
It's pretty pathetic that any player goes out of their way to avoid showing solidarity with victims of racism. It's particularly repugnant given his country's history. It is entirely understandable that South Africa want to show the world that those days are behind them, and he's an arse for opposing their efforts.

All players in just about every international sport have been required to stand respectfully during their (and their opponents') national anthem for years. Basically none of them ever seemed to have a problem with their liberty being restricted then.

If the tipping Zpoint for him is when his cricket board asks him to show solidarity with victims of racism, including Apartheid, then it is him that is the problem, not the cricket board or the ICC.

Turns out that he is mixed race and his issue was with the authorities in SA instructing players that they had to do something.  Glad it has been resolved though, as he is a terrific cricketer and the tournament is better with him involved.

I think his stepmother is black, rather than him being mixed race.

It does sound like one big miscommunication based on poor timing from CSA. I still think, given the cause, his profile and nationality, the wiser thing would've been to just go along with it, then have it out with CSA afterwards. Instead they've created this whole media storm.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5798 on: October 28, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »
I think he was probably being a dick... but if he's apologised and is happy to take the knee in future matches, that should be good enough, IMO.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5799 on: October 28, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »
Unless he has a very good reason, Quinton appears to be a bit of a Kock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59051327

It’s baffling. Whether you think the gesture is worthwhile or not you must feel really strongly about something to remove yourself from the World Cup. I can’t see it meaning anything other than what you’d think it means.

Agreed Paul. Unless his entire family were killed while taking mass, I cannot understand his decision.

If it's gesture politics, along the lines of 'I don't kneel for any man' then he's hardly Muhammad Ali. It's not as if he's required to sacrifice white children for Kwanzaa.

The cricket captain of a country with a deeply racist past (and present) choosing not to make a gesture of solidarity with his teammates and countrymen - well, it's not a good look.

I'd be ashamed if Root or Morgan did the same without extraordinary mitigation.

Someone saying on the radio earlier that he has a history of being supportive to players from other ethnic backgrounds and working in communities. 

Perhaps he doesn't feel that the cricket authorities should be ordering the team and him as captain, to do things.  I went over there to watch England last year and it was clear that there were major issues between the cricketing authorities and players, which seemingly haven't been resolved since.

Thanks for the insight, Tom.

You'd think they would've worked this out beforehand. It's not turned out well for them, bit of a PR fuck up.

If the BBC are correct, it sounds like it could be a bit of friction between CSA (who allow kneeling, a fist salute or standing to attention) and the ICC (who presumably are requesting players take a knee).

All a bit of a PR disaster. Personally I don't think any team or association should be forcing players to take the knee though. It makes the gesture less powerful if people know that some people are doing who don't really want to, and it brings out the possibility of situations like this. You'd hope that most people would want to because they're decent people, but if they're not, let them out themselves.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5800 on: October 28, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »
Aussies with a pretty comfortable win today which sets up the game on Saturday nicely. 

Offline Rory

« Reply #5801 on: October 28, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »
Unless he has a very good reason, Quinton appears to be a bit of a Kock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59051327

It’s baffling. Whether you think the gesture is worthwhile or not you must feel really strongly about something to remove yourself from the World Cup. I can’t see it meaning anything other than what you’d think it means.

Agreed Paul. Unless his entire family were killed while taking mass, I cannot understand his decision.

If it's gesture politics, along the lines of 'I don't kneel for any man' then he's hardly Muhammad Ali. It's not as if he's required to sacrifice white children for Kwanzaa.

The cricket captain of a country with a deeply racist past (and present) choosing not to make a gesture of solidarity with his teammates and countrymen - well, it's not a good look.

I'd be ashamed if Root or Morgan did the same without extraordinary mitigation.

Thanks for the insight, Tom.

You'd think they would've worked this out beforehand. It's not turned out well for them, bit of a PR fuck up.

If the BBC are correct, it sounds like it could be a bit of friction between CSA (who allow kneeling, a fist salute or standing to attention) and the ICC (who presumably are requesting players take a knee).

All a bit of a PR disaster. Personally I don't think any team or association should be forcing players to take the knee though. It makes the gesture less powerful if people know that some people are doing who don't really want to, and it brings out the possibility of situations like this. You'd hope that most people would want to because they're decent people, but if they're not, let them out themselves.

Overall I'd say I agree, I just don't think any cricket board will want to risk being labelled as soft on racism. I don't think QdK is a racist, and his apology and explanation were good enough for me, it just seems a lot of unnecessary fuss.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5802 on: October 30, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
I think the Aussie game will be tricky. But they’ve virtually got their Test seam attack playing - they’re brilliant bowlers - but I feel like in short format they can be predictable and got at.

Offline Rory

« Reply #5803 on: October 30, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
I think the Aussie game will be tricky. But they’ve virtually got their Test seam attack playing - they’re brilliant bowlers - but I feel like in short format they can be predictable and got at.

Agreed, Cummins in particular.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #5804 on: October 30, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
Our Chris having a blinder so far

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal