collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522150 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14430 on: September 22, 2021, 01:17:41 AM »
Does this help the formation debate...

Pretty conclusive

Yep. Bailey wasn't left back. No need to apologise.

Never said he was, as you very well know.
It’s pretty conclusive that we were 3 at the back, which you said never happened, though.
No need to apologise

You realise that's based on average position  throughout the whole game, yeah? I never said we didn't play three centre halves. Obviously we played three centre halves for most of it, just not the bit where we scored three goals. It does conclusively prove that we weren't playing 5-3-2 during those moments as had been previously asserted, as there is no way Bailey was full back.

I think you have to be bold as a manager to stop a 3-5-2 becoming a 5-3-2.  If the opposition line up with 3 attackers, then you have to trust the 3 CBs to deal with them.  This allows the wing-backs to push further on into space.

Where it goes horribly wrong for me is when the wing-backs drop back and pick up the wide players and it becomes a flat back five with three centre halves marking one forward.  Having flashbacks of Paul Lambert's attempts at setting up like that with a back three of Herd, Baker and Clark.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #14431 on: September 22, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »
Does this help the formation debate...

Pretty conclusive

Yep. Bailey wasn't left back. No need to apologise.

Sorry I’m not quite following who is saying what here, but are you saying this chat offers conclusive proof that Bailey played a different position to Targett and Young?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14432 on: September 22, 2021, 07:27:11 AM »
Well yes, the chart shows average positions, cash and targett are in expected positions of being level with Nakamba.

Bailey is 10-15 yards higher with only Watkins consistently higher up the pitch than him.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14433 on: September 22, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »
Well yes, the chart shows average positions, cash and targett are in expected positions of being level with Nakamba.

Bailey is 10-15 yards higher with only Watkins consistently higher up the pitch than him.
obviously the charts are unreliable because Dean Smith said so.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14434 on: September 22, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
I'd imagine danlanza's thoughts on the origin of Covid and its vaccines might be interesting.

Ha ha, I bet they are too.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #14435 on: September 22, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »

Hmmm. Ok then. Let’s leave it :)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14436 on: September 22, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
Is it safe to look here yet?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14437 on: September 22, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »
Doesn't look like it, Ian.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14438 on: September 22, 2021, 01:16:07 PM »
Back to off topic then!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14439 on: September 22, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »
Must admit even I'm bored of it by now. Arguing over insufficient data, it's like trying to make a sandwich with no bread.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14440 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:34 PM »
Must admit even I'm bored of it by now. Arguing over insufficient data, it's like trying to make a sandwich with no bread.

Would it be a proper sandwich, with two slices of bread, or one of those stodgy overthought club sandwiches with an unnecessary third slice in the middle that, sure, absorbs mayonnaise, but blunts the kick of your sriracha when you really need it?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14441 on: September 22, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »
2 slices of bread, 4 fillings, 2 extras for added spice….or maybe it should be 4 slices of bread a d two fillings 🙄

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14442 on: September 22, 2021, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm not arguing with anyone, my only point is that Bailey came on and played as an out and out left winger, it was obvious to the naked eye watching the game live and every analysis you can find on line backs it up. That has no bearing on the formation or how the defence was lined up.

I see it as a massive positive for Smith that, in a game where we were dominating territory but not creating enough, he took decisive action and put a very attacking player on for a defensive player and it changed the game. I don't care massively about formations, I'm more interested in how players move around the pitch and how we respond to the teams we're facing.

For example Godfrey was never going to offer them anything in our half so we pushed up on his side and pinned him back but we were more cautious against Digne who has much more threat but we also used that to our advantage by getting Cash to run in behind him from deep and use the pace advantage he had to open them up on that side, our first goal came directly from doing exactly that. We clearly had a well structured game plan because we were regularly out-numbering them all over the pitch.

Smith and the coaches all get a big thumbs up from me for this game even if I didn't like the starting line-up on paper.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14443 on: September 22, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »

Would it be a proper sandwich, with two slices of bread, or one of those stodgy overthought club sandwiches with an unnecessary third slice in the middle that, sure, absorbs mayonnaise, but blunts the kick of your sriracha when you really need it?

I do mean a proper sandwich. That weirdo extra slice in the middle thing does nothing for me I must say. Reminds me of a friend at uni who would, whenever deadlines approached, eat bread rolls 'filled' with a potato scone in increasing desperation.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14444 on: September 22, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »
Growing up when hard times came we had crisp sandwiches, sauce sandwiches, sugar sandwiches
(cue Monty Python sketch)

Don’t know they’re born nowadays

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal