collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 11:04:59 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 11:04:13 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:01:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[Today at 10:55:51 PM]

Re: GUESS THE GOAL R25: Europa Conf.🏆 Lille v VILLA Thursday 18th April! 🥅 by Villa Lew
[Today at 10:50:09 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Beard82
[Today at 10:49:22 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:47:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:46:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1534966 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14310 on: September 17, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »
Good balanced piece here by Paul Doyle on our squad here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/17/no-excuses-for-aston-villa-as-they-aim-to-get-post-grealish-era-truly-started

"No excuses". Not sure he's met many Villa fans!

He's right though. We've 'replaced' the Man City player, we have squad options and goals in the team. I think Dean will succeed with these players, but we all know what happens if he doesn't.

I think Paul Doyle has a soft spot for us too.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #14311 on: September 17, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »
Fair summation by Paul Doyle.

I am still in the 'hugely optimistic' camp for this season.
Now the full squad is available, if we can get some momentum and belief going then we may just be in for something special - starting tomorrow!

Very much hope the dropping Mings musing is wide-of-the-mark though.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14312 on: September 17, 2021, 05:38:31 PM »
Good balanced piece here by Paul Doyle on our squad here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/17/no-excuses-for-aston-villa-as-they-aim-to-get-post-grealish-era-truly-started

Doyler is a good egg (one of us, in disguise?). No way Mings will be dropped for Axel Foley though.

And in the Gruan's actual match preview they have Watkins benched. Can't see that, unless he's been given new-daddy-dispensation to come to terms with the scariest thing in his life - a new baby of his own.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14313 on: September 17, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
The difference with Villa this season is exactly that – the ability to be different from game to game, and within games, in the quest for consistent performances and results. The only thing they are shorter of now is excuses.

Absolutely! Dean needs to lose the 'feast or famine' reputation this season or it will not only end his time at Villa Park, it will follow him around as he moves on. No club will ever give him such a brilliant opportunity to do just that as he currently has at Villa Park. Improving his home record will go a long way too.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14315 on: September 17, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
I'm not pleased with the mixed start we've had, and thought that we wouldn't be as limited as a result of injuries etc. this season. However, we've not had close to a settled or first choice lineup yet. I feel like we're stronger than last season so we should expect more. Smith has my support for a good while yet, unless we just get battered every game.

Every team can get stuffed, even the good ones, you only have to see what we did to Liverpool last season to see that. The trick for us is to compete all the time and I think we have players and depth to do it.

My gut feeling is that we'll all (well a vast, vast majority) be wanting the same come the end of the season. I just hope it's that Smith carries on rather than wanting him out.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14316 on: September 18, 2021, 05:46:10 AM »
I'm not pleased with the mixed start we've had, and thought that we wouldn't be as limited as a result of injuries etc. this season. However, we've not had close to a settled or first choice lineup yet. I feel like we're stronger than last season so we should expect more. Smith has my support for a good while yet, unless we just get battered every game.

Every team can get stuffed, even the good ones, you only have to see what we did to Liverpool last season to see that. The trick for us is to compete all the time and I think we have players and depth to do it.

My gut feeling is that we'll all (well a vast, vast majority) be wanting the same come the end of the season. I just hope it's that Smith carries on rather than wanting him out.

I think that's right.  It could go either way of course, but I really hope Dean Smith is still in the job this time next year, as it will mean we have progressed again under his management.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14317 on: September 18, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
I am not convinced how far Smith can take us now but he has to get time with a settled squad and let’s see what he can do
Some of the best football I’ve seen us play in donkeys years was the first half of last season
I know it was with the Grealish effect but nevertheless it was under Smiths guidance

More to the point I can’t see anyone who is available or gettable to replace him anyway

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #14318 on: September 18, 2021, 01:31:53 PM »
More to the point I can’t see anyone who is available or gettable to replace him anyway

That’s part of the conundrum for me. Smith is doing okay and has credit in the bank. Regardless there’s not really an obviously replacement that would justify sacking him.

Potter might become that man but I’d prefer him to have another season at Brighton first. Poch might get sacked by PSG but there’s no point sacking smith in anticipation.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14319 on: September 18, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »
Well he’s put together the most exciting team we’ve had in years. His tactics paid off today and his substitutions were genius.

It’s going to be like a lottery seeing who’s in the starting eleven every week. The way Ramsey, Luiz played today makes them impossible to drop. The same with McGinn the way he’s started the season.

Bailey if for has to start somehow, he could be one of the best players in the league on that outing today. Incredible.

Our defence today outstanding, Cash was so good.

Well Smith has some great problems too solve, so tricky. A nice position to be in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14320 on: September 18, 2021, 08:32:25 PM »
Agreed Ian. Buendia is going to have to fight to get back in the team.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14321 on: September 18, 2021, 10:24:39 PM »
Agreed Ian. Buendia is going to have to fight to get back in the team.

Which is great.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14322 on: September 18, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
He also has to have credit for outsmarting what some folks call a top end manager. 10 out 10 today.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14323 on: September 18, 2021, 10:41:15 PM »
Personally I'd have started Bailey today although of course it was better he was used the way he was tonight rather than go off after 20 minutes.

He's obviously going to start next weekend. Interested what else happens. Axel can't play for a start so assume we'll go back to back 4 and guess SJM is ruled out with concussion if rules are followed.

Did think Buendia would drop into midfield but could easily be what played the first half.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14324 on: September 18, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »
Personally I'd have started Bailey today although of course it was better he was used the way he was tonight rather than go off after 20 minutes.

He's obviously going to start next weekend. Interested what else happens. Axel can't play for a start so assume we'll go back to back 4 and guess SJM is ruled out with concussion if rules are followed.

Did think Buendia would drop into midfield but could easily be what played the first half.

Nakamba in for Axel Bailey in for McGinn and play Bailey and Watkins either side of Ings. It's a game we expect nothing from so fuck it lets go for it make them scared of letting us in behind. Bailey's goal today will have a few teams worrying about a high press and/or high defensive line against us he has pace on a par with the very quickest in the league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal