collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521995 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12105 on: April 11, 2021, 11:13:27 PM »
Might just be me but when I watch likes of ASM and say Neto who's been mentioned in last week as an ambitious target I just think they're way better threats.

Yes El Ghazi had an excellent purple patch over xmas and we should be thankful for that as could still played part in us finishing top 10 but that's all it was. You wouldn't have known he was on the pitch last week v Fulham for example.

Trez works hard and I thought he was decent yesterday so has his uses for certain games in a season but again the other week v Spurs he just kept on making poor decisions once in final third.

Both have two years left on their deal now so we'll have to stick or twist on at least one of them.

We just need better out wide. I'm a Traore fan but he was awful yesterday aswell.

Think it will have to be the position we really up the stakes and potentially smash our club record and go big in 30-40m range to get a player more proven whereas with how well Ollie has done this year we can get in more of a development signing at CF to build up over the season.

All true but you watch Villa for 90 minutes every game (I suspect) whereas you probably only see other teams here and there or on highlights. That has a massive bearing on how you view players. Aside from that you'll be more invested in Villa players so you'll celebrate the good things more but dwell on the negatives more as well. All of that combined means you're more likely to see faults in villa players than players from other clubs. All this means that unless a player is clearly brilliant (Grealish, Konsa, Martinez) we'll focus on the negatives far more than the positives a lot of the time.

I suspect there's plenty of Newcastle fans that rate ASM but wish he had more end product.

I actually saw a bit of Saint Maxmin at Nice the season before he signed for Newcastle and he was actually a bit like El Ghazi then, odd bit of good player but lots of inconsistancy.

Think he's been really good for Newcastle in the whole and can step up for a better team.

The stuff you actually say I think describes pretty much Miguel Almiron and Ryan Fraser, wide players who look exciting on highlights and score the odd goal but have loads of flaws if you watch them in full games every week, they're more like Trez and AEG.

ASM is better than Traore and I like Bertrand although he was awful yesterday.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #12106 on: April 12, 2021, 01:22:56 AM »
No way is Smith in danger but him bringing Barkley on is a head scratcher, i would much rather him give chances to young players that will be with us next season.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12107 on: April 20, 2021, 03:08:24 PM »
Have I missed the press conference?

I can’t imagine they’ll do it tomorrow on the day of the game.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12108 on: April 20, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
Brilliant brilliant words from Dean Smith in his press conference. He's getting a lot praise on social media.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #12109 on: April 20, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
Brilliant brilliant words from Dean Smith in his press conference. He's getting a lot praise on social media.

Did he say he's considering a change of formation?

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #12110 on: April 20, 2021, 06:36:17 PM »

The whole landscape of world football is potentially changing but let's not go nuts

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #12111 on: April 20, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »
Joking aside, well said Dean. Top man.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #12112 on: April 20, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »

The whole landscape of world football is potentially changing but let's not go nuts

;D

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12113 on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:36 PM »
Keinan for the ESL!

Offline Villan82

« Reply #12114 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:31 PM »
This was looking like a great second season but the way we have let things fizzle out has really disappointed me. If this form was to continue into the start of next season, first ten games say, that would be just as bad as '19/20.

I don't know, my faith in the whole thing has taken a knock since January.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12115 on: April 21, 2021, 10:12:59 PM »
A defeat against Olbiyon and Smith might be facing a few difficult questions from the owners.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #12116 on: April 21, 2021, 10:14:56 PM »
Where is the adventure? This fart arsing square ball midfield bollocks is killing us.
I think he's gone all risk averse. Seriously losing it with him.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #12117 on: April 21, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »
This was looking like a great second season but the way we have let things fizzle out has really disappointed me. If this form was to continue into the start of next season, first ten games say, that would be just as bad as '19/20.

I don't know, my faith in the whole thing has taken a knock since January.

We need a change. It’s gone horribly stale. Awful performance tonight. Verging on embarrassing. 4 wins in 18 or similar. Come the end of the season it could be something like 5 wins in 25.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #12118 on: April 21, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
A defeat against Olbiyon and Smith might be facing a few difficult questions from the owners.

We spent a lot of money and have blown a fantastic start to the season. it's as if the players and coaches decided to hit the beach once e got to 30 odd points.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #12119 on: April 21, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
As many defeats as wins now. A lot of players going through the motions or just not good enough. I think next season Dean has it all to do or I reckon he'll be gone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal