collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522105 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11235 on: February 22, 2021, 03:46:19 PM »
I don't think those results look to bad in the context of where we finished last season and in the way we're developing. Over the course of the season, we're doing better than we would probably have expected to, but it's a shame our earlier really promising form has dropped off a bit.

I could probably take the results (just, I'm still angry about the penalty at Old Trafford) if we were still performing well. The problem is we aren't and are fast putting in performances that wouldn't have looked out of place last season.

I'm not one who thinks we should keep looking back and be grateful to how we have progressed since our return, we've all seen week after week what this team are capable of and that should be the benchmark. Right now we're getting more wrong than right and something needs to change. The squad is decent enough to drop players out of form and for me the problem lies in our rigid formation. It was highlighted yesterday against a fluid Leicester, our movement both with and without the ball was shocking.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11236 on: February 22, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
We changed personnel and formation a bit last season, desperately trying to find any combination that could get us points.
It's understandable after getting 36 points he's reluctant to change things too much, but I think it must be time now. We've underwhelmed for a few weeks.
I would say that this is exactly the time to freshen it up.
We're safe, we've been playing okay, the spine of the side is still strong: use the rest of this season to strengthen for next season by blooding players who might well be required.
So, give Sanson, Ramsey, Kesler and - when fit - Barry some game time. Far better to do so when the side is essentially playing okay; far better to develop than to continue with the old tired and tested if that ain't working for you (Elmo, Trez and Barkley).

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11237 on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
As has been said before, if you loan a player then there is an understanding that if you don't play him you haven't as much chance of getting another loan from the same club (and before anyone says how terrible it is that we're doing what Chelsea want how low have we fallen, that's the current reality). Plus, managers sometimes fancy, or don't, a player, as we saw with Lansbury, who was given every chance before he got binned.

I really do hope that our chances of future success aren't based on Chelsea loaning us any more players. It was fine when we were in the Championship needing to get out, and excusable this season taking a chance on Barkley, but next year will be our third year back, so I hope that we'll just be looking to buy the players we need to continue to improve. By my reckoning they us more than we owe them anyway, after paying some of Drinkwater's wages last year, and now doing the same with Barkley.
Mayby if we sell a few this summer and make a tidy profit, another season under our belts, a decent standing in the league will all help to our FFP and these loan signings will be a thing of the past.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #11238 on: February 22, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
The last ten games have seen us average a point a game, which after a great start to the season is really disappointing, and in terms of points extrapolated over a season is staying up by the skin of your teeth territory. We're also back to giving up c.20 shots a game, which is the problem we had all season up until the break last year. Given how much the first team has improved, what's gone wrong?

11 Points from last 10 matches.

Losses to Man City (isn't everyone) Man Utd (typical), Burnley (how the fuck did that happen?), West ham (great run in Chumps League places), and Leicester (doing really well). The only one to be really disappointed with would be Burnley in my view though West Ham potentially too.

Draws to Chelsea (not bad really), Brighton (the form team other than Man City).

Wins against Newcastle (quite right too), Southampton (good result that), and Arsenal (another positive result).

Chelsea - D
Man Utd - L
Man City - L
Newcastle - W
Burnley - L
Southampton - W
West Ham - L
Arsenal - W
Brighton - D
Leicester - L

I don't think those results look to bad in the context of where we finished last season and in the way we're developing. Over the course of the season, we're doing better than we would probably have expected to, but it's a shame our earlier really promising form has dropped off a bit.

I think it's the drop-off in form in the way we've played that's causing concern.  I don't think there is a fan on these pages who wouldn't have snapped your hand off for 36 points and 8th place after 23 games before a ball was kicked this season. 

The problem is that compared to 25 points after 13 games (I think that's what we had?) it feels a bit like we've fallen away lately?  Swap those two bits of form around (25 points from the most recent 13 games) and everyone would be happy, and feel like we're progressing nicely as a team. But having started the way we did, and seeing a few bad habits from last season creep back in (like the number of shots we're conceding), you can't help but feel a *little* disappointed with things right now.  Of course, a couple of wins will change that very easily!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #11239 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »
Rather worryingly Dean has refused to acknowledge that Barkleys form has dipped.  And keeps referring to the time out with injury.  I think he will be starting again on Saturday.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11240 on: February 22, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »
Or like someone else has said he isn’t going to have a go at his players in public.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #11241 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
Or like someone else has said he isn’t going to have a go at his players in public.

Absolutely the right thing to do.  You never know when you really need a player to dig in and give you everything.  Some players really need a cuddle or arm round the shoulder.  Slagging them off in public rarely ends well.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11242 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:33 PM »
There is a difference between sticking up for your player and coming out with Bollocks like , “his output has been really good on the pitch”

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11243 on: February 22, 2021, 11:01:53 PM »
Smith needs to be brave now, drop Barkley and trust Sanson and Ramsey to start and push McGinn further forward.

Dean shouldn't need to be brave to leave Barkley out if players are chosen on performances. Nakamba has been left out recently having played well in his previous game.

No-one apart from Barkley, Barkley's mum or his agent could complain if he was left out based on recent performances.

Or perhaps the Chelsea lawyer who wrote the terms of his loan deal?

Surely we (or anyone else) would never sign a contract stipulating someone is guaranteed a starting position. I just can't belive that.

Peter Schmeichel.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #11244 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:15 PM »
Peter Schmchael was our player not some waster  on loan

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11245 on: February 22, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »

His contract stipulated that he had to start if fit.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #11246 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56:30 AM »

His contract stipulated that he had to start if fit.

Not quite, if this article is to be believed.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2002/0412/163431-astonvilla/

I am not surprised gentlemen's agreements may be in place sometimes but that is not the same as having it written into a formal contract. Of course, Smith/Villa may have a non-contractual agreement with Barkley/Chelsea that amounts to the same thing in practice.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #11247 on: February 23, 2021, 03:08:51 AM »
I think our last 10 games (I know selective) points is pushing relegation form.  This has to be addressed quickly, our inability to rotate the squad is going to hurt us.  Ross Barkley SJM and Douglas Luis ,are all underperforming we have midfielders in the squad, who are of an unknown quality, give each one them 4 starts and the aforementioned trio a rest.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #11248 on: February 23, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
Overall form-wise we don't look much different to any other team in the 5th-10th places. Over the last 5 games we've picked up exactly the same number of points as Everton, for example, and considerably more than Spurs have.

I think just a bit of patience with Dean and all would go a long way. We're now (IMO) looking like a top half team. Not one of the heavyweights, but not a side who many sides will expect to get 6pts off either.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #11249 on: February 23, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »
I think our last 10 games (I know selective) points is pushing relegation form.  This has to be addressed quickly, our inability to rotate the squad is going to hurt us.  Ross Barkley SJM and Douglas Luis ,are all underperforming we have midfielders in the squad, who are of an unknown quality, give each one them 4 starts and the aforementioned trio a rest.

No it’s not - it’s decidedly mid table.  If you look at the last 10 games the Burnley and West Ham results are the only ones where the result really disappoints.

Having said that, the real challenge is not to let such a good start slip and that does mean changes to both both personnel and tactics especially as Jack is out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:29:57 AM by oldhill_avfc »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal