collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545599 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11190 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:33 PM »
I have faith Smith will finally get it. I don’t expect to see Barkley starting for much longer. It’s been obvious and Smith is either a slow learner or just stubborn, but I think he’s got it now.
either trait is not great, I bet Barkley is first name on the team sheet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11191 on: February 21, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »
Anywhere in the top half would be a good season. Its next season and the push for champions league qualification that gets interesting.  We definately need to learn some new tactics though.

We would have to sign amazingly well and even better than last summer to be anywhere close to 4th in 12 months time imo.

This season is a bit like 15/16, likes of West Ham and obviously Leicester finished above Liverpool and Chelsea. Have a look at the table and points difference between top 6 and 7th the next season.

Those teams will do what they always do and sack managers and/or spend 200m and go again.

Top half should be the target this season and then try to finish 7th or 8th next season and also have a good cup run. Then perhaps we can push on the following year although I suspect a couple of our star players might be thinking about their peak years by then so hopefully our squad will be stronger to deal with it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11192 on: February 21, 2021, 05:17:42 PM »
Anywhere in the top half would be a good season. Its next season and the push for champions league qualification that gets interesting.  We definately need to learn some new tactics though.

We would have to sign amazingly well and even better than last summer to be anywhere close to 4th in 12 months time imo.

This season is a bit like 15/16, likes of West Ham and obviously Leicester finished above Liverpool and Chelsea. Have a look at the table and points difference between top 6 and 7th the next season.

Those teams will do what they always do and sack managers and/or spend 200m and go again.

Top half should be the target this season and then try to finish 7th or 8th next season and also have a good cup run. Then perhaps we can push on the following year although I suspect a couple of our star players might be thinking about their peak years by then so hopefully our squad will be stronger to deal with it.

I expect we will spend heavily again though, which I'm not sure some of the others can.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #11193 on: February 21, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »
Smith needs to be brave now, drop Barkley and trust Sanson and Ramsey to start and push McGinn further forward.

Dean shouldn't need to be brave to leave Barkley out if players are chosen on performances. Nakamba has been left out recently having played well in his previous game.

No-one apart from Barkley, Barkley's mum or his agent could complain if he was left out based on recent performances.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11194 on: February 21, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
Smith needs to be brave now, drop Barkley and trust Sanson and Ramsey to start and push McGinn further forward.

Dean shouldn't need to be brave to leave Barkley out if players are chosen on performances. Nakamba has been left out recently having played well in his previous game.

No-one apart from Barkley, Barkley's mum or his agent could complain if he was left out based on recent performances.

Or perhaps the Chelsea lawyer who wrote the terms of his loan deal?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11195 on: February 21, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »

I expect we will spend heavily again though, which I'm not sure some of the others can.

FFP has limited us a bit according to Purslow over last two years so would help if we could start moving on squad players for 5-10m like most of our rivals can do with ease. Hourihane, El Ghazi and Nakamba all fit into that category and at least their general performances this season for us and someone else have kept their values reasonably good, we should be getting at least 5m for Hourihane given his impact at Swansea for instance.

Offline Ads

« Reply #11196 on: February 21, 2021, 05:26:30 PM »

FFP has limited us a bit according to Purslow over last two years so would help if we could start moving on squad players for 5-10m like most of our rivals can do with ease. Hourihane, El Ghazi and Nakamba all fit into that category and at least their general performances this season for us and someone else have kept their values reasonably good, we should be getting at least 5m for Hourihane given his impact at Swansea for instance.

Think we could get £10m for Trez too. £15m for both Trez and El Ghazi and somebody of real quality coming in would strengthen the squad.

Be interested to see if Ramsey can play as a wide attacking midfielder/forward too.

Horuihane and Nakamba are also a pair we could get money for.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11197 on: February 21, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »
Being assured of a third year of Premier League football should make a difference to FFP too. We couldn't afford to offer Callum Wilson the same wages that Newcastle could, for instance, which was said to be down to FFP.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #11198 on: February 21, 2021, 06:34:57 PM »
We've lost 5 of the last 9 now. It's probably time to make a little change. Same players same formation same tactics week in week out isn't enough.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #11199 on: February 21, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »
Yeah, it's time to change things up. We've shipped too much water to have an incredible season now, but could still have a very good one.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #11200 on: February 21, 2021, 06:55:58 PM »
Fuming Dean Smith bemoaned a triple whammy after Aston Villa skipper Jack Grealish was ruled out.

Smith revealed he pulled Grealish out of training on Friday after the star suffered discomfort in his leg.

The Villa boss was then further frustrated to see online rumours emerge over the weekend of Grealish's injury which alerted the Foxes.

To deepen Smith's woes, Leicester capitalised to exploit the absence of Villa's talisman in a 2-1 Premier League win.

Boss Smith fumed: “I have been made aware that on social media there have been rumours he wasn't going to play.

“If it has been coming out of our training ground then I will find out where that is coming from and reprimand it.

Offline Ads

« Reply #11201 on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
I recall after we beat them at the Crisp Bowl having a browse over FoxesTalk. Quite a few wanted Rodgers gone. Funny old bunch football fans.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #11202 on: February 21, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Fuming Dean Smith bemoaned a triple whammy after Aston Villa skipper Jack Grealish was ruled out.

Smith revealed he pulled Grealish out of training on Friday after the star suffered discomfort in his leg.

The Villa boss was then further frustrated to see online rumours emerge over the weekend of Grealish's injury which alerted the Foxes.

To deepen Smith's woes, Leicester capitalised to exploit the absence of Villa's talisman in a 2-1 Premier League win.

Boss Smith fumed: “I have been made aware that on social media there have been rumours he wasn't going to play.

“If it has been coming out of our training ground then I will find out where that is coming from and reprimand it.

Deano would best off reprimanding the likes of Ross Barkley and his shameful performance today rather than worrying about rumours online about Jack's injury (which judging by Leicester's starting line up they weren't aware of). Seems like deflection tactics in truth.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #11203 on: February 22, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »
He hasn't used the squad properly. We had a tonne of games in a short period and he rarely rotated or during games made changes.

He's a good manager but that aspect needs to improve if he wants to get to the next level. I am sure he will.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #11204 on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:47 AM »

Or perhaps the Chelsea lawyer who wrote the terms of his loan deal?

Surely we (or anyone else) would never sign a contract stipulating someone is guaranteed a starting position. I just can't belive that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal