collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522063 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6885 on: February 24, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
I like Smith but the fact that we have got to the end of February and I’m
not convinced that he knows, or certainly at least hasn’t consistently played, his best team is far from ideal. Not all his fault obviously but not especially convincing/helpful.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #6886 on: February 24, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »
I like Smith but the fact that we have got to the end of February and I’m
not convinced that he knows, or certainly at least hasn’t consistently played, his best team is far from ideal. Not all his fault obviously but not especially convincing/helpful.
this

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally

Offline Villan82

« Reply #6889 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:04 PM »
Heaton and Mings are internationals. Nyland and Pepe have been good between the sticks. Engels and Konsa have potential as do the full backs. We have to be doing better than those pathetic stats.

For me it is the set-up. All we needed this year is to average a point a game. I feel we have been too open in too many games.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6890 on: February 24, 2020, 11:28:51 PM »
Smith needs to get ruthless. He's not only fighting for our future, he's fighting for his own. He's had more support than any Villa manager, past or present, now is the time to show his steel. There's really nothing else to say. Whatever happens, he can't say he never had the longest ever Villa honeymoon in recent history.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6891 on: February 25, 2020, 12:19:00 AM »
Since Paul Lambert?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6892 on: February 25, 2020, 12:54:41 AM »
Lambert one was purely for not being Alex McLeish and in any case it all but disappeared after xmas 2012 especially with Bradford tagged on to that horrific run.

Think Dean will still be here in August whichever division we're in. Goes without saying he needs a good transfer window and start to the season.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #6893 on: February 25, 2020, 06:08:18 AM »
The three at the back has worked in certain games, just as 4 at the back has in certain games.  What Smith needs to learn is when to play each formation.  The one size fits all approach is a load of bollocks, and shows just how limited he is.

Seems to have worked for less games than it hasnt and when we played four at the back though mart.

I agree though with your point for when he needs to learn when ro play each formation.

I put that siants perfoemance up with thag shit Watford away one and the home game against saints.

Watford away and Southampton at home we played a back 4. The switch came New Years Day away to Burnley.

Since the change we beat Burnley away and Leicester over 2 legs and Watford at home and drew at Brighton.

Feb has been a bad month points wise.  Getting no points on the board home and away against Bournemouth and Southampton has been a real kicker and we’d be much better off even with just 2 draws (and then 2 points worse off)

We’re still conceding with 5 at the back but we’re also scoring more which seemed to be one of the main criticisms before the change. See Southampton at home and Watford away.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6894 on: February 25, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
It might take years and years to get over Smith at this rate.

Blimey, that's a tad over the top to be honest.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6895 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:40 AM »

We’re still conceding with 5 at the back but we’re also scoring more which seemed to be one of the main criticisms before the change. See Southampton at home and Watford away.

I appreciate this is a relatively simple way of looking at it, but I’m not sure we are scoring that many more - 1.33 goals a game compared to 1.25 when playing 4-3-3 - and that is also then pretty much negated anyway by the fact we have conceded 2 goals a games compared to 1.8.

I was one of the people advocating a switch to three at the back and it has yielded some positive results but, like with the 4-3-3, we haven’t quite managed to get it right often enough for a variety of reasons.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6896 on: February 25, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »

... We’re still conceding with 5 at the back but we’re also scoring more which seemed to be one of the main criticisms before the change. See Southampton at home and Watford away.
And here is the myth, probably based on the bias against Wesley: scoring had not been the problem.
It's always been about the goals-conceded, and this was being discussed here when footy led the campaign against Wesley pre-Xmas.
Andy's screenshot says everything we need to know about this season. And if you look at last season's table you'll see that our goals-against tally was poor compared to other top-10 teams (other than the Bitters).

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #6897 on: February 25, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »
Heaton and Mings are internationals. Nyland and Pepe have been good between the sticks. Engels and Konsa have potential as do the full backs. We have to be doing better than those pathetic stats.

For me it is the set-up. All we needed this year is to average a point a game. I feel we have been too open in too many games.

It's the midfield also. Which might as well not exist.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6898 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »
I think we should be moving back to 433 but with two of the 3 sitting in front of the defence. You'll still have 4 attacking players available and cover for the full backs.

The issue is for me not just individual errors at the back, but the ease with which pressure is placed on the defence with such a porous midfield.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #6899 on: February 25, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
I think we should be moving back to 433 but with two of the 3 sitting in front of the defence. You'll still have 4 attacking players available and cover for the full backs.

The issue is for me not just individual errors at the back, but the ease with which pressure is placed on the defence with such a porous midfield.

4-2-1-3? It's the right thing in theory but the problem is that Luiz and Nakamba just aren't very dependable in that role and they are as liable to pass the ball to the opposition as they are to a Villa player. The further back you drop them, the more calamitous the results. Drinkwater isn't much better in that position either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal