collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522616 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6870 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:03 PM »
It's the apparent lack of the basics that does it for me: we require high levels of fitness, energy, accuracy and ball retention; we need midfielders tracking back, defenders where they're supposed to be, players moving into space, passers seeing the early pass, making the ball do the work, working your nuts off for the team ... in short, believing in the team, the club and the Project.

We do not seem to be doing the simple things well enough ... and isn't that the minimum requirement of a professional team?

Damn right. I mentioned the other day, we finally scored from a corner. We've had hundreds of them throughout the season yet we may as well have kicked the ball out for a goal kick. Throw-ins are a great opportunity for us to give the ball back to the opposition. Basic stuff that hasn't improved throughout the season.

My only hope is Dean accidentally stumbles upon a winning formula. We've been carrying far too many passengers this season so it's no real shock we've struggled to pick up points. Why he's insisted on playing certain players that contribute near nothing (Trez and especially A&E) I have no idea. If the plan was to outscore the opposition, he's failed miserably. We have the worst defence in the league despite spending a fortune on it during the summer.

If our defence is a shambles, our midfield is a weekly pick'n'mix, chopping and changing with little effect. If we can suddenly become more solid in defence with greater protection from the midfield, we may just about scratch enough points to stay up. It's not rocket science, all good teams build from the back but Dean decided he'd do it differently and the results are there for all to see.

It could well be argued that too many of our players are either not good enough or not ready to perform to a high standard, week in, week out. Well Dean bought them and he's the man responsible for trying to get the best out of them. I thought he'd be a forward thinking Coach, something we've been crying out for for the last 20 odd years but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case.

As you rightly point out Mister E, we struggle with the basics and to reach the end of February in that state really is an embarrassment for all concerned. Something needs to change and it needs to change urgently. I hope Dean reads them the Riot Act and we see a more professional Aston Villa. Being at the biggest club in the Midlands and picking up massive salaries comes with expectations. My fear is far too many are far too comfortable and think life is good and we're too big to go down. We're not.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #6871 on: February 24, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »
One thing I didn't like on Saturday, was the fact we sent Reina up for that last corner. It's ok in a cup tie, but with the Goal Difference very tight, we could have done with losing 1-0 instead of 2. It might seem a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but it just smacks of muddled thinking too me.

As soon as Reina started to run up, I looked over at the bench and must ad it, I didn't see a signal or sign from the coaching staff. He got to the halfway line and I looked again. Nobody moved.

I just assumed that was 100% on Pepe.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6872 on: February 24, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
If we'd/he'd scored we would be celebrating him today. I certainly don't blame him for trying.

richtheholtender

« Reply #6873 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »
If we'd/he'd scored we would be celebrating him today. I certainly don't blame him for trying.

No but I do blame him for that snail paced jog back towards his open goal.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #6874 on: February 24, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »

726264#msg3726264 date=1582568409]

I do.  Although there may be the occasional instance of a goalkeeper going up for a corner and making a positive difference, on the whole it tends to be little more than a pretty pathetic piece of pantomime.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:48:48 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6875 on: February 24, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
Does anybody recall a keeper other than Schmeichel ever scoring for us from a corner?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #6876 on: February 24, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »
They don't have to score, if they create enough panic in the box, one of our other lot might cash in.

In theory anyway.

Offline Risso

« Reply #6877 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:53 PM »
Has that ever happened either?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6878 on: February 24, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
Considering the panic some of our keepers have caused in our box over the last few years the law of averages says they'll do it at the other end one day.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #6879 on: February 24, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
Considering the panic some of our keepers have caused in our box over the last few years the law of averages says they'll do it at the other end one day.
Very Good😂😂

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #6880 on: February 24, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6881 on: February 24, 2020, 07:40:47 PM »
We haven't played our best two centre halves together since before Christmas. Not that we were solid as a rock before then anyway mind.

Konsa is out of form, very young and learning. Hause gives the ball away and shouldn't play for a month after letting the ball bounce in his own bloody box on Saturday.

Offline Risso

« Reply #6882 on: February 24, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
We haven't played our best two centre halves together since before Christmas. Not that we were solid as a rock before then anyway mind.

Konsa is out of form, very young and learning. Hause gives the ball away and shouldn't play for a month after letting the ball bounce in his own bloody box on Saturday.

Smith, for whatever reason, didn't even have Engels in the squad, and that was his choice.  Those defensive stats alone should see him get the chop, absolutely outrageously bad.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #6883 on: February 24, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
The annoying/frustrating/puzzling thing about those stays are that we have done fuck all to address them.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #6884 on: February 24, 2020, 07:51:14 PM »
They don't have to score, if they create enough panic in the box, one of our other lot might cash in.

In theory anyway.

More of a case of 'ooh, look at me everyone, I'm a goalie up for a corner.'  Yes, you are, and you're a pratt.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal