collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1542112 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6825 on: February 24, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
Too many hot and cold players. We’ve lost to teams like Bournemouth and Southampton not because they’re better footballers than us but because they played with more commitment and beat us to everything. Smith’s not off the hook, but those games are mostly on the players being powder puff.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #6826 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:56 AM »
how can the manager ever be off the hook?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6827 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »
Too many hot and cold players. We’ve lost to teams like Bournemouth and Southampton not because they’re better footballers than us but because they played with more commitment and beat us to everything. Smith’s not off the hook, but those games are mostly on the players being powder puff.

I agree. I think the managers tactics ard amssively to blame. Playing 5 at the back has been a disaster yet he persists with it when you only have mings who plays well as a cb in that system.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6828 on: February 24, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
The three at the back has worked in certain games, just as 4 at the back has in certain games.  What Smith needs to learn is when to play each formation.  The one size fits all approach is a load of bollocks, and shows just how limited he is.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6829 on: February 24, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »
I really think we need to change it and play with someone (Jack) much closer to Samatta. To do this I’d bin both El Ghazi and Trez and play another midfielder, Hourihane most likely to give us more strength in there - yesterday they came straight through us. Personally I’d play Elmo on the right of the 5 man midfield, he has a decent cross on him, as has Targett.

Elmo played in the back 5 last time we played Man City didn’t work out to good as I remember bloke looked like a lost soul but wasn’t the only one

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #6830 on: February 24, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
The three at the back has worked in certain games, just as 4 at the back has in certain games.  What Smith needs to learn is when to play each formation.  The one size fits all approach is a load of bollocks, and shows just how limited he is.
Not many teams switch regulallry between 3 and 4 at the back and I'm not convinced our squad has the experience or maturity to keep doing that.  We lack organisation as it is without constantly switching defensive formations.

Offline Risso

« Reply #6831 on: February 24, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »
Not many teams switch regulallry between 3 and 4 at the back and I'm not convinced our squad has the experience or maturity to keep doing that.  We lack organisation as it is without constantly switching defensive formations.

You'll have to work hard to convince me that we could ever be any worse than we were against Southampton.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6832 on: February 24, 2020, 10:17:29 AM »
I still think for the most part we look more solid with the 3 CB and wing backs and it suits the players we have in the squad. OK, we have conceded 5 in the last 2 but that does include a dodgey pen, an individual fuck up that wouldn't happen often and a last minute throw everyone up the other end and got caught out. Man City was certainly a bad example but for the most part it looks fine. What i don't like, and never have is this silly three pronged attack up the other end where everyone is spread out miles apart. This is even more pointless whilst playing with wing backs as they are supposed to give you the width and put balls into the box. Playing the way we have been, we have 4 players out wide and one in the middle. We need to play the way we did under Little with a creative player in behind 2 strikers, someone who can provide and get into the box which is perfect for Grealish except i also think he can play as part of the front 2 and so with the players we have i think the best option would be Hourahane in behind Grealish and Samatta. Hourahane would do well in that role and he usually does well when we're on the front foot.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6833 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »

Seems to have worked for less games than it hasnt and when we played four at the back though mart.

I agree though with your point for when he needs to learn when ro play each formation.

I put that siants perfoemance up with thag shit Watford away one and the home game against saints.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #6834 on: February 24, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
Big Sam would be a massive improvement. Where is this mythical 'right style' of football? All I see is us looking shit and getting beat all the time. Taylor got labelled a long ball merchant, but I sure enjoyed watching his team more than this turgid rubbish.

Big Sam knows how to use flair players like Grealish and knows how to organise a defense.

Id rather go down than have him at the helm

I hated every minute of Bruce's  time with us so another British dinosaur would be like being transported back to Hell for me
I know it's not great at the moment in fact it's a lot shit but fuck me every time we might need a manager it's the same old gravy chain done nothing big Sam that gets bigger up

after all we have been through with Mcleish, Lambert, Bruce will we never learn that nothing good comes of employing managers like them it just takes years and years to get over them
Absolutely 100% spot on. The same old names trotted out which shows a total lack of ambition in my opinion

Offline Risso

« Reply #6835 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
It might take years and years to get over Smith at this rate.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #6836 on: February 24, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »

You'll have to work hard to convince me that we could ever be any worse than we were against Southampton.
I'm not trying to.  I'm saying constantly switching formations as you seem to be suggesting isn't necessarily the answer.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6837 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:52 AM »
Nah, would sooner stay up with Alladyce, pay him off well and then get someone else in than get relegated with Smith. That's not to say that if we took those steps it'll definately pan out that way.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6838 on: February 24, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
It might take years and years to get over Smith at this rate.

maybe so why go for more of the same
it’s got us nowhere in the past and will get us nowhere in the future

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6839 on: February 24, 2020, 11:07:30 AM »
Funny Southampton have reports this morning that they are going to offer their manager a new deal after he confirms safety for them.

Why the hell did we give him a  new deal so soon in the season? Now the compensation will be huge if this form does not improve.

Id go for hughton personally.  Was desperately unlucky to get sacked at brighton. Also he is very defensively minded.  He could sort this back four out. Always liked hughton

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal