collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522382 times)

Online Demitri_C

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6780 on: February 23, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »
Man its going to be so depressing if we are switching leagues with leeds and wba.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6781 on: February 23, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
Should have binned Smith in December, still think Alladyce could keep us up. Still not convinced Smith can.
That would set us back 10 years, not 5. Fat Sam and his ilk-there are a few of them out there, would be the worst way to go. If we go down, we can get back up again and Smith would be my favourite to do so. If that didn't happen, yes, change it and bring someone else in, but give it a chance. I hate the merry-go -round of changing managers and would like to see stability for a few seasons at least.

When Smith arrived he had Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham already at the club. He won't have any of them next time. We'll be further back than when he arrived.

For a start, Smith signed Mings in loan, he wasn’t here when he arrived. He has also then improved to the level that he is now an international football player. I think you have to give Smith some credit for that.

I’d argue that both Grealish and McGinn played consistently at a higher level under Smith than they did under Bruce as well.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6782 on: February 23, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
For a start, Smith signed Mings in loan, he wasn’t here when he arrived. He has also then improved to the level that he is now an international football player. I think you have to give Smith some credit for that.
Some, but not much.  Tyrone was brilliant from the day he arrived.

Offline ez

« Reply #6783 on: February 23, 2020, 03:55:57 PM »
Should have binned Smith in December, still think Alladyce could keep us up. Still not convinced Smith can.
That would set us back 10 years, not 5. Fat Sam and his ilk-there are a few of them out there, would be the worst way to go. If we go down, we can get back up again and Smith would be my favourite to do so. If that didn't happen, yes, change it and bring someone else in, but give it a chance. I hate the merry-go -round of changing managers and would like to see stability for a few seasons at least.

When Smith arrived he had Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham already at the club. He won't have any of them next time. We'll be further back than when he arrived.

I’d argue that both Grealish and McGinn played consistently at a higher level under Smith than they did under Bruce as well.

Ok I was wrong on Mings already being with us. The point I was making is we wont have these players if we go down.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #6784 on: February 23, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »
Trez has been woeful all season, he’s just a headless chicken.
Absolutely shit. Worst of all the new signings.

There’s a huge range to choose from, he’s not the worst, where do you start? Wesley, Trez, Luiz, Nakamba, Konsa, Hause, Jota. Christ we’ve bought some shit.

We haven’t bought total shit. We assembled a squad that we had to to assemble given last season  our squad was full of loan players or out of contract journeyman.

We assembled a squad that was largely potential, with the exception of Mings there wasn’t really a player we signed who was proven.   But we were never going to able to assemble such a squad.

FFP, rightly or wrongly stopped us spending more.

Whatever happens in the summer we will have another large turn over in players across the squad.

Elmo and Taylor will be gone regardless but I expect to keep Targett and Guilbert. At centre half Mings reluctantly will go but we won’t lose money on him. Konsa, Engels and Hause will all stay and be fine.

Lansbury is gone for sure. Hourihane would stay if we go down and be sold if we stay up. Nakamba and Luiz will stay wherever we are. 

Be similar for the forward options as well.

This whole year was always going to be shit or bust as we got promoted a year earlier than expected. We’re not adrift. We’ve got 11 games left and probably need to find 3/4 wins and some draws.

Not out of it by any stretch.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #6785 on: February 23, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »
This whole year was always going to be shit or bust as we got promoted a year earlier than expected. We’re not adrift. We’ve got 11 games left and probably need to find 3/4 wins and some draws.

You're absolutely right, we aren't.  But other clubs must be licking their lips at the thought of playing us at the moment.  3 or 4 wins out of the games we have left is a very tall order.  But not impossible.  Something's going to have to change very soon though.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #6786 on: February 23, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »

You're absolutely right, we aren't.  But other clubs must be licking their lips at the thought of playing us at the moment.  3 or 4 wins out of the games we have left is a very tall order.  But not impossible.  Something's going to have to change very soon though.

We went toe to toe with Tottenham and had we been more clinical would of won.

Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal at home. I could see us getting on paper unlikely points from all those games.

Watford’s revival seems to have losts its wings. Norwich are done. West Ham are in an awful state.

I still think we will just be fine. It’s then a big decision for the owners either way in the summer on what they do with Smith.

I do think Terry will go in the summer either way.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #6787 on: February 23, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
Big Sam would be a massive improvement. Where is this mythical 'right style' of football? All I see is us looking shit and getting beat all the time. Taylor got labelled a long ball merchant, but I sure enjoyed watching his team more than this turgid rubbish.

Big Sam knows how to use flair players like Grealish and knows how to organise a defense.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6788 on: February 23, 2020, 04:19:30 PM »

Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal at home. I could see us getting on paper unlikely points from all those games.

Watford’s revival seems to have losts its wings. Norwich are done. West Ham are in an awful state.

I still think we will just be fine. It’s then a big decision for the owners either way in the summer on what they do with Smith.

I do think Terry will go in the summer either way.

I would broadly agree with that. It’s the fact that we are maddeningly inconsistent from game to game - and even with games -  that is the problem. If we had put in the performance from the Tottenham game in yesterday, I certainly don’t think we would have lost.

And also, as you mention, while we don’t want to rely on other teams, pretty much everyone else is at least as bad as us. In fact, out of the bottom eight, only Watford (due to their decent run when Pearson took over) have taken more points than us from the last ten games.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #6789 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »

we really didn't. If Spurs were more clinical or Reina wasn't at his best they'd of had 5-6. Other than AEG long range effort... What else did Lloris have to do?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6790 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Luiz missed a sitter that should have made it two nil.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #6791 on: February 23, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
And also, as you mention, while we don’t want to rely on other teams, pretty much everyone else is at least as bad as us. In fact, out of the bottom eight, only Watford (due to their decent run when Pearson took over) have taken more points than us from the last ten games.
And over the last three games, all of our relegation rivals have taken more points than us.  It's possible to spin this whatever way you want.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6792 on: February 23, 2020, 04:28:47 PM »

we really didn't. If Spurs were more clinical or Reina wasn't at his best they'd of had 5-6. Other than AEG long range effort... What else did Lloris have to do?

Luiz from a couple of yards for a start. Are you honestly suggesting we shouldn't have been 2-3 up by the time they scored?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6793 on: February 23, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Most frustrating thing for me is we've followed up two fantastic late wins v Watford and Leicester with three straight defeats. And all three games were ones we could've got at least a point in.

Majority of other teams would've produced a solid unbeaten run on the back of those two confidence boosting wins. Only have to look at Burnley. Terrible against us on New Years day. barely lost a game since then and they've played most of the leagues better teams in the last two months.

Seen ever since O'Neill walked the whole club has been unable to build on any kind of momentum. Look back to the McLeish season, great 3-1 away win to Chelsea, lost at home to Swansea two days later.

Lambert years had odd goal result like winning at Anfield in September 2014. We next won a league game in December.

Seems to have haunted us for years we simply can't kick on as a club. Again euphoria from promotion but can't quite get the results from start of the season so we've spent the whole season hovering between 15th-19th and simply can't kick on from that.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6794 on: February 23, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
Question:

Dean Smith is responsible for coaching/tactics/match day selection/ team motivation.

Suso is responsible for getting the best players for the money available which means all of our signings since he took the job.

Who do you blame most and how long do you stick with a failing system?
Smith, he is part of the recruitment process, he is getting nowhere Near enough out of this squad.
His tactics and game management has been mainly awful.
How long?
It’s all ready to late.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal