collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2020/21 by Damo70
[Today at 07:28:19 PM]

RIP Papa Diop by LukeJames
[Today at 07:26:22 PM]

Spitting by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 07:01:53 PM]

Favourite villa song / chant by The Edge
[Today at 06:47:35 PM]

West Ham v Villa Monday evening 8.00 pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 06:46:06 PM]

The Peter McParland FA Cup. 3rd round draw. by algy
[Today at 06:31:25 PM]

GAA football by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 05:51:02 PM]

Louie Barry - signed for a big club by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 05:32:09 PM]

November 28, 2020, 04:35:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 135 | Comments: 0

Long -time H&V stalwart Simon ...
November 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 788 | Comments: 13

Coming to Villa Park in Octobe...
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 585 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 477 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 488 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 686651 times)

Offline TonyD

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5355 on: December 15, 2019, 10:44:08 AM »
I normally get frustrated with managers who don't display a sense of having an overarching plan and philosophy that includes trying to play good, attacking football and bringing through or bringing in talented young players who can apply the philosophy.  You can see that Smith is trying to do something like that and it's a refreshing change from the dinosaurs like Bruce, Mcleish and O'Neill and incompetent fuckwits like Lambert and Sherwood. That's why I'm way more patient with him, not because he's "one of us".

But -  tactical nous and flexibility is a big part of succeeding with such a philosophy and Smith looks alarmingly wanting in that department so far.  You often see other managers making small tactical or personnel changes at half time (e.g. Rogers) that swing things their way, because they have spotted how to nullify danger areas or exploit weaknesses.  Smith doesn't seem to have that ability.   Unless he develops it very soon he'll be in big trouble and so will we.         
Very well put.   I suppose he has a few games to suddenly develop tactical awareness.  But Im not holding my breath.  Some of his shortcomings are such basic common sense stuff that most of us can see them easily.  Its a real worry. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5356 on: December 15, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »
You took off Wesley when it was 1-0, what was the thinking?

"I thought he was a lot better today. John Egan and Jack O'Connell, Basham who I know, I thought we got the ball into him and he made it stick. We won second balls off him and he had a couple of chances. There was one at the start of the second half where I thought he was going to lob the goalkeeper with his left foot, he decided to bring it down instead. He had a chance where he's turned and hit it into the side netting. He just got a whack into his lower back just before that and I thought it was the right time to give Jonathan Kodjia an opportunity.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5357 on: December 15, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »
Very good posts Supertom and KT.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #5358 on: December 15, 2019, 11:32:19 AM »
Smith can't organise a defence. You can get away with that in the championship but not here. This is where I'd have thought Terry would earn his crust  ...  at least his original game plan is more considered and his grasp of the game, but that lack of ability to turn things around is causing problems.

Tom, that is a super post, and it captures alot of what's been going on.
Question: why can the club not see that trying the same old approach and expecting a different outcome is foolish?

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5359 on: December 15, 2019, 11:35:16 AM »
Smith can't organise a defence. You can get away with that in the championship but not here. This is where I'd have thought Terry would earn his crust  ...  at least his original game plan is more considered and his grasp of the game, but that lack of ability to turn things around is causing problems.

Tom, that is a super post, and it captures alot of what's been going on.
Question: why can the club not see that trying the same old approach and expecting a different outcome is foolish?
We are back to that definition of insanity, doing the same thing but expecting different results.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #5360 on: December 15, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
On the defence point, I think of it is OK, ie the central pairing and Guilbert, and Heaton is fine.  But the midfield in front of it is the problem.  There's no settled three, and they provide no protection at all.  The make up of it changes every week, as Smith lurches between a combination of Nakamba, Luiz, McGinn and Hourihane.  McGinn has probably been the worst of the lot in recent games, but is the only guaranteed starter.  In addition, neither El Ghazi or Trezeguet provide any protection down the right.  In short I just don't think the formation is working, but Smith is welded to it like a limpet to a rock.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5361 on: December 15, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
Some good points supertom - Smith says he always goes out to win a game but I'd agree sometimes, with a new squad in the PL and struggling, you might need to try and grind out the odd result like Bruce did with Toon at Spurs.  I hate that kind of football but maybe occasionally it's necessary to reconsolidate and get a few unexpected points.  We're not very good at that though.  The Whelan comment has merit too.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 23.05.2016
« Reply #5362 on: December 15, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
I normally get frustrated with managers who don't display a sense of having an overarching plan and philosophy that includes trying to play good, attacking football and bringing through or bringing in talented young players who can apply the philosophy.  You can see that Smith is trying to do something like that and it's a refreshing change from the dinosaurs like Bruce, Mcleish and O'Neill and incompetent fuckwits like Lambert and Sherwood. That's why I'm way more patient with him, not because he's "one of us".

But -  tactical nous and flexibility is a big part of succeeding with such a philosophy and Smith looks alarmingly wanting in that department so far.  You often see other managers making small tactical or personnel changes at half time (e.g. Rogers) that swing things their way, because they have spotted how to nullify danger areas or exploit weaknesses.  Smith doesn't seem to have that ability.   Unless he develops it very soon he'll be in big trouble and so will we.         
Very well put.   I suppose he has a few games to suddenly develop tactical awareness.  But Im not holding my breath.  Some of his shortcomings are such basic common sense stuff that most of us can see them easily.  Its a real worry. 

That sounds a bit harsh and does not take into account the fact that Smith is less than halfway into his first premier league season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #5363 on: December 15, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
On the defence point, I think of it is OK, ie the central pairing and Guilbert, and Heaton is fine.  But the midfield in front of it is the problem.  There's no settled three, and they provide no protection at all.  The make up of it changes every week, as Smith lurches between a combination of Nakamba, Luiz, McGinn and Hourihane.  McGinn has probably been the worst of the lot in recent games, but is the only guaranteed starter.  In addition, neither El Ghazi or Trezeguet provide any protection down the right.  In short I just don't think the formation is working, but Smith is welded to it like a limpet to a rock.

Midfield is a mess and has been all season. Early on there was the two number eights as Smith put it, with Grealish central and ineffective. The switch up v Brighton certainly improved matters but only for a while. In the last three games the space behind Grealish has been relentlessly targeted successfully. Targett is frankly a hopeless defender at this level but he gets little or no support from the midfielder on that side, Hourihane, Luiz, Lansbury in the last three games. It baffles me why Smith at a minimum is not switching Nakamba over there.

On Smith generally, he is really struggling now. It beggars belief that the first sub yesterday was from Wilder given how poor we were. None of Smith's subs effected a tactical change which again was baffling.

We need to cobble together some kind of formation that makes us harder to play against. Maybe three at the back would help but it means our centre backs being very positive on the ball.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5364 on: December 15, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
Agree, the formation is not working and its apparent that the players are not suited to it.
I would rather build on the back 4 than try and go to 3 5 2 because this would just bring in even more confusion.
We need to build more protection defensively and get our best players into the game.
4 3 3 is not doing it.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #5365 on: December 15, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
I find the DS post-match interviews all sounding the same lately. Players making silly mistakes and gIving the ball away cheaply. There doesn't seem to be a Plan B. 4 points from the last 24 is relegation form.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #5366 on: December 15, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
I find the DS post-match interviews all sounding the same lately. Players making silly mistakes and gIving the ball away cheaply. There doesn't seem to be a Plan B. 4 points from the last 24 is relegation form.

Its always, always the players who are at fault and never him.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #5367 on: December 15, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
You took off Wesley when it was 1-0, what was the thinking?

"I thought he was a lot better today. John Egan and Jack O'Connell, Basham who I know, I thought we got the ball into him and he made it stick. We won second balls off him and he had a couple of chances. There was one at the start of the second half where I thought he was going to lob the goalkeeper with his left foot, he decided to bring it down instead. He had a chance where he's turned and hit it into the side netting. He just got a whack into his lower back just before that and I thought it was the right time to give Jonathan Kodjia an opportunity.

Kodjia is on the bench as we literally have no one else , despite the positive comments from DS on Kodjia he has no faith at all in him at this level.If we have Davis or another striker Wes would not be playing full 90 minutes

Offline Flin5tone

« Reply #5368 on: December 15, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »

It's all very Paul Lambert

Online Ian J

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #5369 on: December 15, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
At the start of the season most of us wanted above all to stay up, so the benchmark is 17th in the league. If wed have taken that before this season kicked off the same theory would have come with a run of games without a win few times in a season, with periods with loss of form. So far we are pretty much in and around that position and pretty much how I expected this season to pan out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal