collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545916 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4125 on: April 15, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
I wanted him before and during Bruce for no other reason but his football philosophy - the first time I saw Brentford close up I loved the way he had taken a team of "non stars" and made them play exactly how I like the game played.

Lets face it they wiped the floor with us nearly every time we played them

If we get up then I can see him pitting his wills against better managers with better players

Online mike

« Reply #4126 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »
I must admit that one of my issues with appointing Smith was that I didn't see him as more than a Championship manager. I'm not so sure now...

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #4127 on: April 15, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
Dean must be very proud to be in charge during this run.

Best run since 1975 could become best run since 1910 on Friday afternoon.

Anyone here on H&V who saw that 1910 run and could compare to the current squad? 😉

😂

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4128 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:40 PM »
After breaking a few unwanted shit ones in recent years, this would be a fantastic record to beat.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4129 on: April 15, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
Dean must be very proud to be in charge during this run.

Best run since 1975 could become best run since 1910 on Friday afternoon.

Anyone here on H&V who saw that 1910 run and could compare to the current squad? 😉
My memory is a little hazy but let me have a go:   

1.Arthur Cartlidge. GK Sorry but none of our half a dozen  keepers come even close.
2.Tommy Lyons Superb right back.  Elmo/Cafu can touch him
3.Freddie Miles sweet foot left back even Chalie Atkin doesn't come close. Taylor is an amatuer
5.George Hunter versatile defender. A bit like Jedinaik but with speed and mobility
6.Chris Buckley  Paul McGrath of his day. Can't see anyone in current team equal to that man.
4.George Trantor Strong forthright midfielder. When he tackled  you stayed tackled. No one in current team to match up to this man.
7.Albert Hall A marauding attacker from midfield. Only Dennis comes close to him but no one in this team.
8.Bill Gerrish Superb midfielder but I suppose Jack could tie his shoelaces.
10.George Bache Best number 10. We don't have an equal in this team. Weighed in with 22 goal.
9.Harry Hampton Goal machine. Possible the best centre forward till Pongo came along. 29 goals
11.Charlie Wallace England's Winger of choice. Ripped defences apart that season. Adomah/Green are pedestrians compared to this man.

Team played a changeable formation . Mostly 433 but reverting to 442 when necessary.
So my conclusion is that this present team is ok but no where near those 1910 boys.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4130 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:39 PM »
Cheers for that, aftab. You set me off a-googling, and I came across a snippet from "Triumphs of the football field" (Aston Villa / Archie Hunter), chapter 4, "The rise of the Aston Villa" (!).
For example, in the match against the Small Heath Swifts we won by 22 goals to none; and some humourist fetched our goalkeeper, Copley, a chair to sit upon, as he had nothing at all to do, and was getting tired of standing and never having a chance of a kick.

Not that relevant to anything, but it tickled me!

Here, if you don't already know everything there is to know about the mighty, mighty Villa.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4131 on: April 15, 2019, 05:07:11 PM »
My lovely Villa mad Mom ( b. 29.7.1902  d. 21.6. 2000) says she saw that team play.  In her diary she claims Harry Hampton gave her a ride on the crossbar of his bike when he called at her house to go fishing with my grandfather Ben Jones.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4132 on: April 15, 2019, 06:56:48 PM »

1.Arthur Cartlidge.

That is a truly brilliant name. Imagine the injury list back then.  Arthur Cartlidge (half a cartilage)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4133 on: April 15, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »

1.Arthur Cartlidge.

That is a truly brilliant name. Imagine the injury list back then.  Arthur Cartlidge (half a cartilage)

He was distant relative of Ivo Stas.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #4134 on: April 15, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Also in the same school team as Neil Igament-Damage and Buster Killease.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #4135 on: April 16, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
I must admit that one of my issues with appointing Smith was that I didn't see him as more than a Championship manager. I'm not so sure now...
Not sure applies both ways. The PL has destroyed many a good young managers. There are not a big list of Eddie Howe types who have cut the mustard in the top League. We must stick to a plan and back him with money if we go up.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4136 on: April 16, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Not sure applies both ways. The PL has destroyed many a good young managers. There are not a big list of Eddie Howe types who have cut the mustard in the top League. We must stick to a plan and back him with money if we go up.
Smith's 50, isn't he? Hardly young ...

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4137 on: April 16, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »

48 last month, which makes him a kid in my book.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #4138 on: April 16, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
Cheeky fucker!

Offline olaftab

« Reply #4139 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
I didn’t say he was and anyway that’s not the point of my post and also as other have said you geeky so and so😊

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal