collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545901 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4110 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
It really highlights the difference of approach to transfers between Smith and every manager we have had for some time. Where before it was a case of filling the squad where as now the players identified are to fit the system we need.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4111 on: April 14, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
yes but yesterday was pure Bruce in terms of the composition of the side, so to me it reinforced the view that it's the way you coach that counts.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #4112 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
What has changed though? Following his great start, the games in Jan and Feb were as bad as anything served up over the last 10 years - Wigan in particular. Yet the same group of players are now playing like a unit again, even without Jack, Mings and Hause.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4113 on: April 14, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
I guess Smith has a system of playing, most were not purchased to play that way and 2 years of Bruce Ball is the default mode unless drilled in and as soon as confidence is low we revert to that. We’re now on a great run and confidence is high. Maybe even though it was a very Bruce looking team yesterday the coaching, drilling and belief in the system is paying off even without Jack, Mings and Hause.

I really do think though any new signings will be bought knowing they play to our way of thinking and not just to bulk the squad as before.

Online KRS

« Reply #4114 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »
It takes a while to implement change and improvements so may be we are just seeing the benefits of improved training methods, player conditioning and style of play. That all feeds into confidence and team spirit which is clear for us all to see on the pitch.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4115 on: April 14, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »
We had the lowest point (Wigan away) and the watershed moment (half time at stoke). The way he has got the team to respond to that is nothing short of phenomenal.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #4116 on: April 14, 2019, 05:31:43 PM »
What has changed though? Following his great start, the games in Jan and Feb were as bad as anything served up over the last 10 years - Wigan in particular. Yet the same group of players are now playing like a unit again, even without Jack, Mings and Hause.

Maybe trust, belief? Good (not random) Jan signings settling in, Tammy not walking, Mings responding to someone’s ‘I hope you’ll be here next seadon’ with (if it’s true, I can imagine it is) ‘I hope so too’, Jack maturing yet more with the Captaincy, overall a group that are committed, believe and will be there for each other.

Just as in health the placebo effect - i.e.* belief* (that needs loads more research) affects recovery, so hope, trust, friendship and well actually love and appreciation of each other will improve performance, pushing through the pain/stamina barrier, will to win.

I don’t get to many matches atm so rely loads on what I read on this board, but it’s been wonderful to read the re-birth of least favourites like Taylor, and Whelan. Coaching and man management must be part of it too? (Plus some handy timing to avoid the best teams until hopefully we have the points)

The exact opposite of a club in freefall, it’s a positively reinforcing upwards spiral, starting to believe they could carry on enjoying a project together in the next division up must start to be more and more attractive.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4117 on: April 14, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
The number of players that have improved so much over the past few months really says something about the standard of coaching now Smith's had chance to work with them.

It can only be. There's not a single Villa player that I don't love right now. What's so frustrating is when you look back at players like Whelan, who came with fantastic references from Stoke fans, he's been here for nearly 2 years and we're only now seeing the player they were talking about. Jedi was the same, Palace fans loved him yet he never looked at home at Villa Park. Yesterday he played like he owned the place. Taylor would have driven away by most fans just to get rid of him a few months back, even Lansbury who almost everybody had written off looked very comfortable yesterday. Axel has slotted back in seamlessly and to think he was previously played at bloody right back, despite us having what four right backs in the squad.

The list goes on. My only concern with Dean Smith is one mentioned by Brentford fans, how he fails to get out of a slump. Right now that can wait as it's currently the least of our problems. Oh and respect to him not only on winning the Manager of the Month Award but publicly sharing the award with his backroom team. He's a keeper.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4118 on: April 14, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
A Kangaroo Court, 'you are 14th, fucking 14th!',  followed by a punch-up or the promise of a hefty bonus to get promoted.  As well as Smith/O'Kelly and JT 'clicking' with the players.  I like a conspiracy.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #4119 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Let me say this publicly - I love Dean Smith.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4120 on: April 14, 2019, 08:55:05 PM »
but does he love you? Unrequited love is , like, so sad.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #4121 on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:45 PM »
The number of players that have improved so much over the past few months really says something about the standard of coaching now Smith's had chance to work with them.

It can only be. There's not a single Villa player that I don't love right now. What's so frustrating is when you look back at players like Whelan, who came with fantastic references from Stoke fans, he's been here for nearly 2 years and we're only now seeing the player they were talking about. Jedi was the same, Palace fans loved him yet he never looked at home at Villa Park. Yesterday he played like he owned the place. Taylor would have driven away by most fans just to get rid of him a few months back, even Lansbury who almost everybody had written off looked very comfortable yesterday. Axel has slotted back in seamlessly and to think he was previously played at bloody right back, despite us having what four right backs in the squad.

The list goes on. My only concern with Dean Smith is one mentioned by Brentford fans, how he fails to get out of a slump. Right now that can wait as it's currently the least of our problems. Oh and respect to him not only on winning the Manager of the Month Award but publicly sharing the award with his backroom team. He's a keeper.

He’s got us out of a slump hasn’t he?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4122 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »
He most certainly has.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #4123 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »
Dean must be very proud to be in charge during this run.

Best run since 1975 could become best run since 1910 on Friday afternoon.

Anyone here on H&V who saw that 1910 run and could compare to the current squad? 😉

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4124 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
Makes a change to the various records we've been setting for the past 10+ years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal