collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521870 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2625 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
Agree with that. The "show us ya medals" mentality is the very least of many of our current squad's thinking.  "Show us where to sign for the big money, easy life that us the Villa" more like. If Smith has any issues, it's erasing that attitude which has become engrained in the first team dressing room for far too long.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2626 on: January 20, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
An entirely personal out of left field concept but I would be tempted to go cap in hand to Sid and ask him to teach Green to tackle then play him at left wing back.  Andre not Sid.

Green looks distinctly uncomfortable with the ball at his left foot.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2627 on: January 20, 2019, 11:14:58 AM »
It might be a confidence thing with Green as he does have some attributes, pace being one of them, but he needs lots of one to one attention and time. I don't think he adds a great deal to the team at the moment but with hard work before next season, he could be really useful.  To be fair, just by lacing up his boots and putting on his underpants, he seems to be offering more than El Ghazi at the moment.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2628 on: January 20, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »
I thought El Ghazi did ok when he came on yesterday.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2629 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
Me too. Linked well with Hutton.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #2630 on: January 20, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
I think he's consistently inconsistent and we need whole games out of him.  Did ok in five minute spells previously but I think he's a wasted talent at the moment.  I want to be wrong because he's done some good things and then seems to have rested on his laurels.  I just want more from him.  I don't disagree about yesterday though to be fair.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2631 on: January 20, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
I think he's consistently inconsistent and we need whole games out of him.  Did ok in five minute spells previously but I think he's a wasted talent at the moment.  I want to be wrong because he's done some good things and then seems to have rested on his laurels.  I just want more from him.  I don't disagree about yesterday though to be fair.

I think the problem is that Bolasie, El Ghazi and Green all look far better when they come off the bench in the latter stages of games.  They seem to be pretty ineffective when they start, which isn't really much help to be honest.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #2632 on: January 20, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »

I think the problem is that Bolasie, El Ghazi and Green all look far better when they come off the bench in the latter stages of games.  They seem to be pretty ineffective when they start, which isn't really much help to be honest.

Nicely put Tom, I think that's what I should have said instead of spouting nonsense!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2633 on: January 20, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
He wasn't talking about Dean Smith but Sam Allardyce has just been speaking on Goals On Sunday about the difficulties in taking over a team during a season without having had a pre season at the club.

Online Allan C

« Reply #2634 on: January 20, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
I see Sarri has come out and said that it’s difficult to motivate his Chelsea team. That comment might actually relate to us as well.

My concern is that Smith is probably too nice and when he tries to motivate or dish out bollockings the players take no notice. They just think, what have you ever achieved, what do you know?

Funny that because I often ask what our current team have achieved.

Also bear in mind that Bruce had achieved a fair amount and that didn’t seem to help.

My own feeling is that he’s inherited a side who are devoid of energy and were not trained anywhere near hard enough.

Once he gets a few of his own players and a full pre season under his belt, Smith will be fine.  I also doubt he’s the soft touch that you think he might be.
I don’t buy the “too soft” thing either. I’ve never met him but just looking at him and listening to him I think he can dish out a bollocking when he needs to

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2635 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
hah! Not if sure if that means you agree or i'm talking out my arse.
I agree with you and after listening to Christian I think that he does too.

Oh right. Was this in response to a question as to why we haven't played more youth players?

I can't remember which specific question but he said that the U23 team should be the reserves. Young players who look as though they will make the 1st team and players back from injury. There shouldn't be anyone in that squad who is not considered 1st team potential. We will change from bringing in older players on big contracts with no sell on value and concentrate on finding new talent to develop. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2636 on: January 20, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »

Nicely put Tom, I think that's what I should have said instead of spouting nonsense!

You were spot on mate.  Let's be honest he and the other wide players are not the only the ones.  For years now, we have been a team who have only been capable of performing well for a single half or even shorter spells in the majority of games. 

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #2637 on: January 20, 2019, 01:24:11 PM »
Thierry Henry's record so far at Monaco is not making me have second thoughts about us appointing Smith. Home 5-1 defeat to Strasbourg yesterday and well and truly in a relegation fight.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2638 on: January 20, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
  To be fair, just by lacing up his boots and putting on his underpants

Hi Steve. Best of luck at Sheffield Wednesday!

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #2639 on: January 20, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »
Dean needs to be given time.

The club has been in decline for almost a decade - ownership, the academy, scouting, the squad, management - it was all an utter shambles, and thats why we are where we are. This nonsense about this squad being one of the best in this league is a total fallacy - skill / talent alone doesn't make a great team - Smith has inherited far too many 'prima donnas' who have the raw skills but sadly, not the intelligence or desire/passion to get to the top - when I look at the first team squad we have and measure it on that dimension, I'd keep McGinn, Chester, Bree, Grealish, Green, Davis, RHM, and Adomah - and churn the rest - Kodija is a great example of a player with talent but he's a stain on the club because he just doesn't put a shift in, its "me" not "team", and he'll never be any better than an average CH player.

We have new owners (who seem the real deal), a new CEO, and a new manager/coaching staff - we cannot turn round the squad overnight and whether we like it or not, we need to be patient. IMO, its not the end of the world if we fail to go up this season, because this summer we finally lose a whole host of "hangers on" and can start to re-build, bring in the likes of RHM and KD, Dean can get some players that understand what he's trying to do, and we can start to re-build and push on.

The time to judge him is a year from now - if we are not solidly in the top 4 comes Xmas 2019 then its time for the club to review but, not before then.           

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal