collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521820 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2610 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
if we are planning g for next season already why play the players who are out of contract or the loan players

might as well go with   

Kalinic
                                    Bree  Revan Chester Green
                           O’hare, McGinn, Lansbury, Doyle-Hayes,
                                              Kodjia Davis

honestly don’t think it could do any worse than a 3 nill thrashing at Wigan being outplayed the whole match with few or no shots in target
and we would be in better shape for next season with the lads gaining valuable experience

(Lansbury only gets in because I think he’s staying but he is in reality just as bad as the rest of the midfield plodders)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2611 on: January 20, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »
As we can still make the Play Offs by playing our beat team and doing some strengthening. You can't do a major overhaul in January.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2612 on: January 20, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »
Rushian Hepburn Murphy played an important part yesterday for Cambridge United in their 3-2 victory over Nothampton after falling behind twice.  We do have good young players, RHM, Green, Suliman, O'Hare, Davis.  Problem is we have had a run of managers who are obsessed with a safety first, safe pair of hands, better not take risks approach.  I thought and still hope Dean Smith is a more progressive manager than TSM1, TSM2, RDM, Garde, Black, KMac and Bruce.

With a squad that has a team with yet another out of touch goalkeeper, Hutton, Taylor, Chester, Bolaise, Hourihane, and Bjarnesson being inevitable starters, I knew what was coming so I went down the road to watch RHM play.  Good game.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2613 on: January 20, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
if we are planning g for next season already why play the players who are out of contract or the loan players

might as well go with   

Kalinic
                                    Bree  Revan Chester Green
                           O’hare, McGinn, Lansbury, Doyle-Hayes,
                                              Kodjia Davis

honestly don’t think it could do any worse than a 3 nill thrashing at Wigan being outplayed the whole match with few or no shots in target
and we would be in better shape for next season with the lads gaining valuable experience

(Lansbury only gets in because I think he’s staying but he is in reality just as bad as the rest of the midfield plodders)

Personally i wouldn't have a problem with that. Bree doesn't look out of place in an admittedly bad defence. I'd say he's been average so far. Green varies from good-ish to awful. Davis to me looks most likely to make the grade though i'm not sure he'll ever trouble the top of the scoring tables. The others? Worth a punt, but the fans will have to buy into this experiment,  give them time, and still maybe be left with 3 or 4 youth players who are obviously not good enough for this level

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2614 on: January 20, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
As we can still make the Play Offs by playing our beat team and doing some strengthening. You can't do a major overhaul in January.

I haven’t given up on play offs either to be honest

but if our best team involves the likes of  Taylor, BB, Whelan,
Houraine, Elmo, Hogan, Hutton, then I fear we won’t make it anyway because they aren’t good enough and at their ages never will be now

it’s time for DS to be brave

Offline Ads

« Reply #2615 on: January 20, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
It's the hand he's got and all he can do is play it. We cannot mask the poor performers without our better ones and it might take two windows before we gave a side whose default, regardless of injuries, is the beat football in the league.

That's what's crackers about it. Bruce's plodders, best football we've seen in years, Bruce's plodders and all because two people who can *gasp* pass and run with the ball are injured. 2!

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2616 on: January 20, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
hah! Not if sure if that means you agree or i'm talking out my arse.
I agree with you and after listening to Christian I think that he does too.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2617 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
hah! Not if sure if that means you agree or i'm talking out my arse.
I agree with you and after listening to Christian I think that he does too.

Oh right. Was this in response to a question as to why we haven't played more youth players?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2618 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »
It's the hand he's got and all he can do is play it. We cannot mask the poor performers without our better ones and it might take two windows before we gave a side whose default, regardless of injuries, is the beat football in the league.

That's what's crackers about it. Bruce's plodders, best football we've seen in years, Bruce's plodders and all because two people who can *gasp* pass and run with the ball are injured. 2!

It is quite appalling the squad that has been constructed to date and the position we’re in. Dean has to change shape until Jack is back or at least let younger squad members have a run other than Bruce’s geriatrics and loans.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2619 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

If and when jack leaves in the summer, there will be money for 4 or 5 decent signings.

Looks like we’re going to have to go with the keeper, regardless of how he turns out.  Hause will possibly get up to speed and a LB is surely a must in this window.  One of someone like Sawyers or some of the DMs that we’ve been linked to would leave around 5 more positions to address.  Frustratingly, out of all the wingers we have, none are showing any consistency, including Green.  This is annoying.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2620 on: January 20, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
An entirely personal out of left field concept but I would be tempted to go cap in hand to Sid and ask him to teach Green to tackle then play him at left wing back.  Andre not Sid.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2621 on: January 20, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
An entirely personal out of left field concept but I would be tempted to go cap in hand to Sid and ask him to teach Green to tackle then play him at left wing back.  Andre not Sid.

Not the worst idea in the world but Andre does have a habit of picking up injuries so adding tackling to his game might not help that.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2622 on: January 20, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
I see Sarri has come out and said that it’s difficult to motivate his Chelsea team. That comment might actually relate to us as well.

My concern is that Smith is probably too nice and when he tries to motivate or dish out bollockings the players take no notice. They just think, what have you ever achieved, what do you know?

Offline Ads

« Reply #2623 on: January 20, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
I don't buy that.

Wenger was always apparently very quiet and considered, achieved nothing, but won the double within 2 years.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2624 on: January 20, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
I see Sarri has come out and said that it’s difficult to motivate his Chelsea team. That comment might actually relate to us as well.

My concern is that Smith is probably too nice and when he tries to motivate or dish out bollockings the players take no notice. They just think, what have you ever achieved, what do you know?

Funny that because I often ask what our current team have achieved.

Also bear in mind that Bruce had achieved a fair amount and that didn’t seem to help.

My own feeling is that he’s inherited a side who are devoid of energy and were not trained anywhere near hard enough.

Once he gets a few of his own players and a full pre season under his belt, Smith will be fine.  I also doubt he’s the soft touch that you think he might be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal