collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522143 times)

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2595 on: January 20, 2019, 12:01:17 AM »
I am supportive of Smith in general and very hopeful about his future at the club, but I can't get around how poorly we've been playing for the last two and a half months. If it was always down to individual performances I could rage at them, but the whole team look so devoid of ideas, so jaded, that it feels more like he's close to the end of his time here than the start. Questions at the moment should be along the lines of, 'what can we do to get the confidence back?' but if the answer is new players, then waiting until the summer is absurd. We're literally in the middle of the time when we can try and improve things. If we wait until the close season a rebuild puts an extraordinary amount of pressure on Smith to get it right straight away. Smith and the club need to give us reasons to stop grumbling and for yet another week, we're still waiting for those reasons.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2596 on: January 20, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
You mean since the 15th December.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2597 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:24 AM »
Yeah. Scratch that bit.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2598 on: January 20, 2019, 12:46:32 AM »
Needs time to bring the right type of player in.  Purslow said part of the attraction of Smith was his pedigree for setting sides up to play in an attacking style. Right now some of the players he has are just bang average.

That might be true, but it doesn’t give him a free pass. He’s responsible for coaching our squad to be better and setting them up in a way that best suits them. There’s some rubbish in there no doubt, but equally he’s hardly pulling up trees in his role either at the moment.

The squad aren't flexible enough, they're old, and haven't the energy needed.

We have to keep trying though and playing thsinnee style so that everyone knows and understands. As time goes on we have to replace those that can't do it with those that can.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2599 on: January 20, 2019, 12:56:46 AM »
I said a few days ago a lot of the players look like they're struggling with the workload because we didn't have a summer of focusing on this type of game so right now we're seeing players fall back on things they were doing under Bruce because that's what they're fit enough for.

Ads made a good point as well which is teams are letting our defence have the ball. I would add though that they are also having the odd rush at Chester and Taylor because they can both be harried into basic errors at the moment.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2600 on: January 20, 2019, 01:46:44 AM »
I said a few days ago a lot of the players look like they're struggling with the workload because we didn't have a summer of focusing on this type of game so right now we're seeing players fall back on things they were doing under Bruce because that's what they're fit enough for.

Ads made a good point as well which is teams are letting our defence have the ball. I would add though that they are also having the odd rush at Chester and Taylor because they can both be harried into basic errors at the moment.

Which isn't helped by Kalinic consistently trying to pass to them when they're under pressure.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2601 on: January 20, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »

Which isn't helped by Kalinic consistently trying to pass to them when they're under pressure.

True. As an astute poster wrote recently, for all his faults Nyland's distribution was pretty good. It is going to take a while to get the new incumbent up to scratch in this respect.

This is our lot. No established player coming in will be without flaws, otherwise we would not get them in the first place. We have to hope that Dean Smith and his staff can get the job done. I think they can, but it will not be easy.

We have to use more players from the youth ranks, and I think most supporters realise this. As to why this hasn't happened already is a question worth debating. I think DS has been told to test the senior staff first. Of course, that is just a theory.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2602 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
The youth ranks probably haven't been used because they are not up to it. Grealish was one that forced his way in because he was a stand out, it is do possible if you are good enough.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2603 on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
As we've seen both the good and the poor performances under DS, are we really saying that when he is able to rebuild the squad we will not see more of the good performances?
If this means staying in this division for a while longer, until we have proper recruits for all positions, is that not a better proposition than mix & match, scraping through and winning the play-offs and getting battered in the premier league, (as we have more room for error where we are now)?

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2604 on: January 20, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
As we've seen both the good and the poor performances under DS, are we really saying that when he is able to rebuild the squad we will not see more of the good performances?
If this means staying in this division for a while longer, until we have proper recruits for all positions, is that not a better proposition than mix & match, scraping through and winning the play-offs and getting battered in the premier league, (as we have more room for error where we are now)?
Absolutely spot on

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2605 on: January 20, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
The youth ranks probably haven't been used because they are not up to it. Grealish was one that forced his way in because he was a stand out, it is do possible if you are good enough.

Totally agree. I'm not looking for any reason beyond not yet good enough to make a consistent positive difference.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2606 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
Unfortunately under previous managers we've always bought and not pushed the youth, understandably in a way because they take time to nurture, so now we've got players like Sulliman who is 21 this week and hasn't played a game for us. They should be being blooded at 17/18/19 imo. If you're going to go with the youth you have to start much earlier with them, give them a decent run of games, be a lot more ruthless in discarding those not up to the grade and realise its not consistent with a promotion challenge. I'd be up for it, but i'm not sure the novelty wouldn't wear off quickly for some of us.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2607 on: January 20, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Unfortunately under previous managers we've always bought and not pushed the youth, understandably in a way because they take time to nurture, so now we've got players like Sulliman who is 21 this week and hasn't played a game for us. They should be being blooded at 17/18/19 imo. If you're going to go with the youth you have to start much earlier with them, give them a decent run of games, be a lot more ruthless in discarding those not up to the grade and realise its not consistent with a promotion challenge. I'd be up for it, but i'm not sure the novelty wouldn't wear off quickly for some of us.
This is what Christian Purslow said on Wednesday.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2608 on: January 20, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
hah! Not if sure if that means you agree or i'm talking out my arse.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2609 on: January 20, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »
Both Wagnar and Farke have had indifferent seasons followed by some pretty good ones. Even Warnock with Cardiff. So it can happen.

I still think with a few reinforcements and Axel and Grealish coming back will see us make the Play Offs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal