collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545275 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2580 on: January 19, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
I agree with you Kippax. Take BB today. Yes he made some good runs....but what was he going to do when he got there? What was he going to do when  he have it away?

Dreadfully frustrating watch them huff and puff.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2581 on: January 19, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »
One of the absolute musts is that if he’s going to play Chester he plays on the right. I’m assuming that’s why Hause is brought in, but Chester simply cannot play on the left. He’s clearly not the only problem, but he kills our transition from defence to midfield.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #2582 on: January 19, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »
He plays a certain high press attacking style of football.  And for that he needs the right type of players at his disposal. He clearly hasn’t got enough of those at the minute.  They’re so used to one paced, boring shit football, the older ones at least are probably not capable of adapting. 

When you add this to the fact that he still has remnants of McLeish’s, Sherwoods, Di Matteos and Bruce’s squads I think it’s a reasonable assumption that he needs a decent amount of time to get it right.  I’ve said before that the younger players can adapt to his style quicker because they’re prepared to learn and change.  See Axel, Jack etc. For once we as fans are going to have to be very patient, hold our nerve and allow him the time to develop it.  I’m quite looking forward to it.
You really should stop posting such balanced, sensible and calm words.
Yeah , pack it in Kippax. Let’s get back to criticising Smith who is clearly out of his depth at a club that’s too big for him and anticipating our imminent relegation struggle. ;)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2583 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:28 PM »
Don't forget he's lost the dressing room too.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2584 on: January 19, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
Don't forget he's lost the dressing room too.

Sarcasm?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2585 on: January 19, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »
Guilty as charged.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2586 on: January 19, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
I get the impression that this season was written off as soon as they got rid of Bruce and put the new system in place behind the scenes. We decided what kind of club we wanted to be going forward and what style of coach we wanted to lead that. We clearly don't have anywhere near enough of the kind of players needed to play the way that we want to play, with Smith not having a pre-season with us I get the impression that he is looking at the players we have now and seeing which ones will fit within his style as we go forward, he seems to stick to his variations of 4-4-3 but rotate the players quite regurlarly, i also think this is why the loans have been recalled.
I can see the remainder of the season playing out in the same manner as the last few weeks and it will be frustrating to watch in spells with the end result being that of only a few players being kept that can fit into the future.
Purslow made it clear from day 1 that promotion wasn't important this season and also made it clear recently that our squad is full of players we need to get rid of. I think and hope that we have finally got a good backroom set up here that are looking to the future and beyond, even if it means sacrificing the present.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2587 on: January 19, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »
Smith said Thursday he fully expected us to be in the play-offs.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2588 on: January 19, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
He looked lost in the first half today. Barely unfolded his arms for 45 mins
That’s a clear breach of his contract. Get rid now I say.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #2589 on: January 19, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »
I get the impression that this season was written off as soon as they got rid of Bruce and put the new system in place behind the scenes. We decided what kind of club we wanted to be going forward and what style of coach we wanted to lead that. We clearly don't have anywhere near enough of the kind of players needed to play the way that we want to play, with Smith not having a pre-season with us I get the impression that he is looking at the players we have now and seeing which ones will fit within his style as we go forward, he seems to stick to his variations of 4-4-3 but rotate the players quite regurlarly, i also think this is why the loans have been recalled.
I can see the remainder of the season playing out in the same manner as the last few weeks and it will be frustrating to watch in spells with the end result being that of only a few players being kept that can fit into the future.
Purslow made it clear from day 1 that promotion wasn't important this season and also made it clear recently that our squad is full of players we need to get rid of. I think and hope that we have finally got a good backroom set up here that are looking to the future and beyond, even if it means sacrificing the present.
That’s my feeling too. It’s painful in the short term but has to be done. We can’t keep throwing money at it obviously.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #2590 on: January 19, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »

No, no. This can't be right?

The owners, manager, and fans expected us to be outplayed by the likes of Swansea, Wigan, et al, and to be wining 1 in 9. Go look at the threads in early/mid December. It's full of posts about how we'd all be happy to be scrabbling about in mid table under Dean Smith. That's why we brought him in and got rid of Bruce.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #2591 on: January 19, 2019, 11:13:34 PM »
That’s a clear breach of his contract. Get rid now I say.

Now we all know you haven’t seen his contract

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2592 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »

The owners, manager, and fans expected us to be outplayed by the likes of Swansea, Wigan, et al, and to be wining 1 in 9. Go look at the threads in early/mid December. It's full of posts about how we'd all be happy to be scrabbling about in mid table under Dean Smith. That's why we brought him in and got rid of Bruce.

You're going to get alot of opportunities to practice that sarcasm over the next few months I feel.

We tried the quick approach under Bruce, this ones the long haul i'm afraid. Strap yourself in.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #2593 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »

You're going to get alot of opportunities to practice that sarcasm over the next few months I feel.

We tried the quick approach under Bruce, this ones the long haul i'm afraid. Strap yourself in.

Unless the manager gets his arse in gear, I fear you are right!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:49:39 PM by Villa75 »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2594 on: January 19, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »

I noticed that as well.  Not sure he could quite believe what he was witnessing during that half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal