collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1544258 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5040 on: December 06, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
Oh, 1 more thing, when was the last time Klopp changed formation for Liverpool midway through a game?

I don't watch that many Liverpool games, so I wouldn't know.  When you're unbeaten and smashing most teams out of sight though, then you probably don't need to alter things that often.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5041 on: December 06, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
I think the Chelsea game is a case in point. We were getting torched down our left mainly by Willian and they score from our left. We have seen and Smith must have seen that Hourihane is pretty useless as a defensive midfielder against quick players that run. Target is not the strongest defensive full back either.We get level before half time and Smith has chance to try to prevent the obvious weakness.
He could either bring on Taylor for Target or A Stronger midfielder for Hourihane. He does neither and low and behold they attack down our left Target and a Hourihane are as useful as a couple of shop window dummies and they score, game over.
He then substitutes Luis for Hourihane and we have a lot less problems down our left.
Surely it is not heresy to ask why if people watching the game can see the issue Our coaching team don’t until it is too late.

but it's not that simple. If we'd got a freekick 10 minutes into the 2nd half and Hourihane had smashed it into the top corner it would've been the right decision to keep him on, despite the defensive vulnerability. On top of that Hourihane does a very good job running beyond Jack and creating space, again something we have seen be effective at times. Smith decided he wanted to have a midfield to put pressure on their back 4 but they kept the ball too well for us to really take advantage of that choice (other than our goal), in hindsight he got it wrong but given how Chelsea had been playing I can see why he did it and why he wanted to give it more of a chance to work.

You don't need hindsight to see the same thing happening in just about every single away game.  Start off quite well, then get overrun and concede lots of goals in the second half.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #5042 on: December 06, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
Oh, 1 more thing, when was the last time Klopp changed formation for Liverpool midway through a game?

But that’s Liverpool so that’s a pointless argument because we can’t, and shouldn’t be attempting to do what they can do at the moment with the players that we have. They are the best team in the league, so a bit like us last season after Grealish came back, we could get away with it because we had better players than the other teams

Not really, you said you can't think of another manager who hasn't tried something different, I gave you one. You can add Pep and Poch as well if you like, oh and Wilder too, who might be a comparison you actually accept.

In fact almost every successful manager in the last 30 years has had a shape and style that they build around. In many cases that shape and style evolves over time but not through lurching between formations an hour into a game in a desperate gamble.

I know what you’re saying, but bearing in mind how many points we’ve dropped from winning positions, it’s evidently not working not doing anything. He’s great at getting a lead, but it’s what happens afterwards where the problems start and it’s no good getting a lead if you regularly throw it away

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5043 on: December 06, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
40 consecutive posts criticising Smith, vanishing after Stoke and not doing a single post during our record breaking run, not a single post celebrating promotion, reappearing after the Arsenal defeat, vanishing again when we won games. Reappearing after a poor performance.

Welcome back Stuart.

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #5044 on: December 06, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »
40 consecutive posts criticising Smith, vanishing after Stoke and not doing a single post during our record breaking run, not a single post celebrating promotion, reappearing after the Arsenal defeat, vanishing again when we won games. Reappearing after a poor performance.

Welcome back Stuart.

Posts like that just prove my point don’t they. Go and look at my muppets history and tell me how many years I’ve donated

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5045 on: December 06, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
I know what you’re saying, but bearing in mind how many points we’ve dropped from winning positions, it’s evidently not working not doing anything. He’s great at getting a lead, but it’s what happens afterwards where the problems start and it’s no good getting a lead if you regularly throw it away
I don't necessarily associate losing the lead to poor management - although it may be. What I'm seeing is insufficient fitness levels and opponents who (a) are established EPL teams and (b) have some outstanding players.

Lest we forget, we have played against some very good sides and not been disgraced.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5046 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:04 PM »
Why does that matter. Why vanish as soon as we started winning, and during a record winning run, and after promotion, and after wins. Why only post about the manager.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5047 on: December 06, 2019, 12:34:50 PM »
I'm trying to imagine the alternative universe where bringing on Neil Taylor improves us.

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #5048 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Why does that matter. Why vanish as soon as we started winning, and during a record winning run, and after promotion, and after wins. Why only post about the manager.

It does matter because unlike the others that got picked on for having a different opinion, I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t bothered. I’m not Stuart445 and never have been. I’ve actually paid my contribution to the site. That counts for something. I’m not abusive, I haven’t sworn at anybody and I haven’t criticised anybody for having an opinion. I don’t post because this happens and I know I disagree with the majority. I’m not saying my opinion isn’t out there, but it’s my opinion and I stand by it. I want to be wrong but I don’t think I am or will be
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:38:31 PM by Ketzster »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5049 on: December 06, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
It really doesn't matter to the questions i'm asking. I haven't said you aren't entitled to your opinion have I, I have asked why you stopped posting as soon as we started winning etc.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5050 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »

Welcome back Stuart.

What a strange way to behave. Do some people not enjoy Villa winning matches if it means they have to change their opinion on the man responsible?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5051 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:20 PM »
I'm trying to imagine the alternative universe where bringing on Neil Taylor improves us.

Defensively but I'd stick with Targett for games at Villa Park. His attacking threat is something we'll need. Who do Leicester have on the right wing?

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #5052 on: December 06, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
I think it’s hard to be objective about the team that you support, as there is always the emotional attachment. Also it’s very easy to be critical as we take in so much information about the club on a regular basis, we have plenty of ammunition if required. I remember being annoyed when Norwich scored their consolation goal against us a few weeks ago, which other people couldn’t understand: “You won comfortably, what does it matter?”

Fans of other teams that I know think that we’re doing fine, and are in no bother of getting relegated again. Plus some of these fans actively want to us to go back down again but have had to admit that we’ve massively surprised them; especially after buying so many new players in the summer. They thought/hoped it would be a total mess, with Smith sacked after a few losses and us bottom for all of the season.

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #5053 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
It really doesn't matter to the questions i'm asking. I haven't said you aren't entitled to your opinion have I, I have asked why you stopped posting as soon as we started winning etc.

Because I’m not somebody who needs to post on a forum regularly. I enjoy reading the forum hence why I feel I should contribute my tiny sum each year. I posted after Chelsea because I’ve seen too many performances like it this year, and keep seeing everybody say they still love Smith when for me another manager would be being questioned. I kept seeing people saying nobody wants Smith out, when I’m sat there thinking I do want a change rightly or wrongly and have done since Wigan away. Even after promotion because I’d seen enough before Derby to have severe doubts that I can’t shake. We didn’t get up because of anything Smith changed after Stoke, we got up purely because he had the best player the championship has probably ever seen return. We were shockingly bad before that when we were reliant on Smith to do something. If people don’t want to question Smith that’s absolutely fine, but I’m entitled to post my opinions when I choose without people getting so annoyed about it. It doesn’t happen the other way around, people don’t get grief for saying they love Smith.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:07:38 PM by Ketzster »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5054 on: December 06, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
Has anyone said you can't voice your opinion? Your persecution complex doesn't help your argument.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal