collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 466252 times)

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5010 on: December 06, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
What sort of club would we be seen to be if we fired Smith after all heís done?
The team does fight for him, there looks like a togetherness. The fans relationship with club and team has been the best for many years. The football is good to watch. We are selling out every week and the bloke got us out of the Division when it looked impossible.
There are so many positive things from the Smith regime.
I am critical of his game management but to suggest we should get rid is truly bonkers.

I actually disagree that the football is good to watch generally. Yes there are good halves occasionally like at Man United, or against Newcastle, but thereís been an awful lot of dross as well. Leeds at home last season to Stoke away was some of the worst football from a Villa side Iíd ever seen, and this season there have been glimpses of that like Wolves away and Wednesday night. Of course there are good games, but there were under Bruce and Lambert for example as well. I donít really know what our pattern of play is. When we played Brighton and they were running rings around us before Mooy got sent off, it was obvious that they had a clear plan that had been coached really well. People moan at Wesley, but they forget there were numerous games where Abraham was totally isolated and did nothing last season. Thatís part of the way Smith way of playing football. Thatís not to say Wesley shouldnít do more of course when he does get the ball

The getting us out of the division thing didnít look so impossible when he first took over, it was the run after Christmas when it was Smith that was in charge that made it look more impossible.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 10:28:25 AM by Ketzster »

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #5011 on: December 06, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »
I have noticed a trend on here over recent years. We lose a  game or two and suddenly people seem to lose a bit of sense of reality or lose their shit, maybe a bit of both. Posts like keltzers amaze me really, it's almost as if us getting promoted passed him by completley or the way we were promoted  wasn't good enough for him.

Smith has had to do so much in such a short space of time and it's still a learning curve for him as manager and its also a learning curve for the club as well. Let's just finish out of the bottom three and take it from there.

If Smith stays we go down and thereís no point in getting promoted just to go straight back down. I donít think Smith is good enough, and I have said that whether weíve won games or lost games. So itís not a knee jerk reaction. As my friends have said, Iíve been consistent on Smith all year. He has a long list of mistakes, whether itís the never changing formation, keep playing Wesley, not making changes during a game, the players messing around on the edge of their own box etc. Why keep playing 4-3-3 when we donít have the pace to do so for example? Any other manager would would get hammered for it. Especially as they are repetitive mistakes. The notion he hasnít found his best team yet, he didnít last season before Derby either. So thatís twice in a year for prolonged periods he hasnít, and if Grealish hadnít come back his managerial ability would have continued to be exposed like it was being. He gets a free ride because he is a Villa fan. Thatís great from a marketing point of view but doesnít necessarily mean he is the best manager we could have for where we are. Results prove that. We finished 5th last season, without Grealish we would have finished near the relegation zone the way things were going when we were reliant on Smith to find a way. And this season we have beaten 4 dreadful teams. Heís a mid championship level manager and with the weaknesses he shows that seems about right.

Where exactly have you said it after we've won games because it wasn't here. Instead you seem to have waited until a bad performance away at Stamford Bridge to then come out and say that Smith is shit and has done nothing of note, that you an't even give him credit for promotion reflects a lot worse on you than anyone else.

No I admit I havenít bothered posting on here for years, apart from briefly last Christmas because I know itís pointless because Iíll just get a reaction like Iím getting, or like other people that dare say anything would get. Why thinking Smith isnít good enough would reflect badly on me is beyond me, and it shows that you arenít actually really allowed an opinion that differs from the parameters of the norm on here

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #5012 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
I have noticed a trend on here over recent years. We lose a  game or two and suddenly people seem to lose a bit of sense of reality or lose their shit, maybe a bit of both. Posts like keltzers amaze me really, it's almost as if us getting promoted passed him by completley or the way we were promoted  wasn't good enough for him.

Smith has had to do so much in such a short space of time and it's still a learning curve for him as manager and its also a learning curve for the club as well. Let's just finish out of the bottom three and take it from there.

If Smith stays we go down and thereís no point in getting promoted just to go straight back down. I donít think Smith is good enough, and I have said that whether weíve won games or lost games. So itís not a knee jerk reaction. As my friends have said, Iíve been consistent on Smith all year. He has a long list of mistakes, whether itís the never changing formation, keep playing Wesley, not making changes during a game, the players messing around on the edge of their own box etc. Why keep playing 4-3-3 when we donít have the pace to do so for example? Any other manager would would get hammered for it. Especially as they are repetitive mistakes. The notion he hasnít found his best team yet, he didnít last season before Derby either. So thatís twice in a year for prolonged periods he hasnít, and if Grealish hadnít come back his managerial ability would have continued to be exposed like it was being. He gets a free ride because he is a Villa fan. Thatís great from a marketing point of view but doesnít necessarily mean he is the best manager we could have for where we are. Results prove that. We finished 5th last season, without Grealish we would have finished near the relegation zone the way things were going when we were reliant on Smith to find a way. And this season we have beaten 4 dreadful teams. Heís a mid championship level manager and with the weaknesses he shows that seems about right.

Where exactly have you said it after we've won games because it wasn't here. Instead you seem to have waited until a bad performance away at Stamford Bridge to then come out and say that Smith is shit and has done nothing of note, that you can't even give him credit for promotion reflects a lot worse on you than anyone else.

Tbf, every post Ketzster has ever made is a moan, going back years. Superb commitment.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #5013 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
The team does fight for him, there looks like a togetherness. The fans relationship with club and team has been the best for many years. The football is good to watch. We are selling out every week and the bloke got us out of the Division when it looked impossible.
I am critical of his game management but to suggest we should get rid is truly bonkers.

I like Smith and want him to stay and succeed.  But if he takes us down or we're cut adrift at any point, he should be chopped.  Ranieri won Leicester the title, but looked like relegating them the following season, and after sacking him they'ved ended up with Rodgers and being Liverpool's only challenger for the title this season.  I hope we stay up comfortably and then kick on again next season under Smith, mind.  Which I think we will do, just need to replace the utterly useless Wesley in January and chalk it down to experience.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #5014 on: December 06, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »
We're not going down!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5015 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »

Where exactly have you said it after we've won games because it wasn't here. Instead you seem to have waited until a bad performance away at Stamford Bridge to then come out and say that Smith is shit and has done nothing of note, that you an't even give him credit for promotion reflects a lot worse on you than anyone else.

No I admit I havenít bothered posting on here for years, apart from briefly last Christmas because I know itís pointless because Iíll just get a reaction like Iím getting, or like other people that dare say anything would get. Why thinking Smith isnít good enough would reflect badly on me is beyond me, and it shows that you arenít actually really allowed an opinion that differs from the parameters of the norm on here

Your last post of last season was after Stoke away so don't come the "I'm being driven away" bollocks.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #5016 on: December 06, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »
I don't think anyone has been suggesting they want a change, have they?

Not really, one poster has highlighted concerns on Smith, some valid, some OTT. Others have thrown in Roeders and Kinnears as a rebuke. Truth is in the middle somewhere.

I'd give Smith a bit of a pass regarding his game management at Chelsea. Arguably Hourihane could have gone at half time but Luiz form wasn't exactly hectic going into the game. He clearly has no faith in Kodjia and neither have I based on his form over last 18 months plus. Options on the bench at Chelsea seemed very average generally, four of our outfield subs aren't up to the required standard.

Let's move on to Leicester

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #5017 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
Yes there were games under Bruce where we played some football but the football under Smith is usually much more attractive. Put another way I like watching Smiths team much more than any of the most recent managers including Oniel.
There are games when we he has got it wrong and his Rigid tactics are sometimes a concern.
I am in the camp that believes he is not above criticism but also think that he has earned the right to our and the clubs support.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #5018 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »
People who come out with the "you're not allowed to have a different opinion" line are always those that have a really stupid opinion and don't like it when others point it out.

Offline Ketzster

« Reply #5019 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »

Your last post of last season was after Stoke away so don't come the "I'm being driven away" bollocks.

Dave, before you swear at me, may I point out that not once have I claimed to be being driven away. Bearing in mind Iíve donated to the site every year for the last 12 or so years and have just done so again, thatís pretty insulting really

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #5020 on: December 06, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »

I like Smith and want him to stay and succeed.  But if he takes us down or we're cut adrift at any point, he should be chopped.  Ranieri won Leicester the title, but looked like relegating them the following season, and after sacking him they'ved ended up with Rodgers and being Liverpool's only challenger for the title this season.  I hope we stay up comfortably and then kick on again next season under Smith, mind.  Which I think we will do, just need to replace the utterly useless Wesley in January and chalk it down to experience.
Agree

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #5021 on: December 06, 2019, 10:40:20 AM »
I don't think anyone has been suggesting they want a change, have they?

Not really, one poster has highlighted concerns on Smith, some valid, some OTT.

Yeah, sorry. I hadn't spotted the posts by Ketzster. Also the post that I posted the one you've quoted in response to seems to have disappeared...

So, as you were!

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #5022 on: December 06, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
Fair enough Ketzster, you're entitled to your opinion.  It's not one that I agree with or endorse, but you've put it across in a reasonable way.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5023 on: December 06, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »

Dave, before you swear at me, may I point out that not once have I claimed to be being driven away. Bearing in mind Iíve donated to the site every year for the last 12 or so years and have just done so again, thatís pretty insulting really

Saying you're not allowed a different opinion and you haven't posted since Christmas because of the reaction you got is much the same thing.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5024 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »

Leicester also sacked two more managers before they got Rodgers. The last thing we need is another four in three years upheaval.