collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522285 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10380 on: October 02, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
One bad performance and defeat, by a goal in the League Cup and its started already. Monday could be a horrible day on here.

It certainly doesn't do much to dispel the idea that we're fickle when you've got people writing off Traore and slagging off the manager after our first defeat in 9 games.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #10381 on: October 02, 2020, 10:39:52 PM »
He takes up a midtable side with the best run in our history, having been dealt the most ridiculous of hands with the defence.

He gets us promoted as probably the best team in the league come the end of it and in the best possible style too.

He has to renew nigh on an entire squad, having been dealt the most ridiculous of hands with squad renewal, while coming from the weakest of positions, the Play Off winners.

He keeps us up.

He gets us to a Cup final, where we're cheated by a phantom corner and circular posts.

He strengthens. We look a decent and stronger prospect.

I'm sure there are better managers than Smith  but I wonder if they could have achieved what he has? Pretty fucking decent in my book.

That stayed very much a midtable side, a complete rabble under Smith in truth, until the return of Grealish from injury. Mings was a great signing in fairness to Smith and bringing Steer back in worked wonders. But Jack was by a country mile the best player in that division. He drove us to two playoff finals in a row. I'd give him a lot more credit than either of the two managers to be honest.

Yes, last summer was difficult given the sheer player turnover. But we were a tactical rabble for most of last season it's easy to forget. Only for the pandemic Smith would have been long gone without hardly a complaint on here. Yes we stayed up from what looked an impossible situation late on. But the table never lies, 35 points from 38 games is still an abysmal record.

I like Dean Smith for sure and hope we do well under him. But I still fear that his inaction at addressing the problem left back position and failure to buy a partner in midfield for Luiz will cause us huge problems this season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #10382 on: October 02, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »
Generally, Smith has bought quality and we are only three or four players short of being a really good top ten side.  Three or four of the buys from last season don't quite look up to the mark but we are certainly stronger for this window.  Over the next 12 months to 2 years, I hope that we replace the left back and bring in a quality central midfielder to protect the back four.  Martinez, Cash, Mings, Luiz, Grealish, Watkins all look the part.  Add SJM and Barkley to that for this season, Traore I don't know enough about, but hope for the best.  Konsa looks really promising.  Wesley and Heaton to come back in.  The rest of the squad needs building up over time.  I reckon 12th to 14th this season. I still think we will show some level of naivety defensively but will be pretty good going forward. You get the feeling Dean would rather win 4-3 than 1-0. Attack is the best form of defence, but the lack of a plan B.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10383 on: October 02, 2020, 11:16:46 PM »
He wasn't going to get us promoted until he did, but that was down to Grealish. He wasn't going to keep us up until he did, but that was down to lockdown. He couldn't attract big names until he did, but that was down to Terry. For someone who can't do anything he seems to have a lot happen regardless.

Offline mike

« Reply #10384 on: October 02, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »
He wasn't going to get us promoted until he did, but that was down to Grealish. He wasn't going to keep us up until he did, but that was down to lockdown. He couldn't attract big names until he did, but that was down to Terry. For someone who can't do anything he seems to have a lot happen regardless.

I missed a lot of last season due to family and health problems so I don't consider myself an expert. You relatively rarely express an outright opinion (which I put down to editorial independence) so I'm interested in how much you support Smith. I've had doubts about him at various points and, like many, credit Jack to a large degree with our amazing ten run spell and play off success. Likewise, what little I saw last season was underwhelming. But I agree that we have got up and stayed up in difficult circumstances under his watch. What do you think about his selections, game managements, subs etc which are the areas he is usually criticised for? Like many/most I'd love Dean to succeed so I'm genuinely interested in your views.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #10385 on: October 03, 2020, 12:00:23 AM »
I would actually elaborate on DWs post that couldn’t have been more aptly executed, and say that In  not even two years service Smiffy is actually a legend for what he’s done for this club.

Success is totally relevant to your predicament.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #10386 on: October 03, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »

I missed a lot of last season due to family and health problems so I don't consider myself an expert. You relatively rarely express an outright opinion (which I put down to editorial independence) so I'm interested in how much you support Smith. I've had doubts about him at various points and, like many, credit Jack to a large degree with our amazing ten run spell and play off success. Likewise, what little I saw last season was underwhelming. But I agree that we have got up and stayed up in difficult circumstances under his watch. What do you think about his selections, game managements, subs etc which are the areas he is usually criticised for? Like many/most I'd love Dean to succeed so I'm genuinely interested in your views.

He's not perfect, he's made mistakes but so far, in two years he's done everything that's been asked of him. I could equally turn it round and ask why it is that some people are so quick to jump on anything he does wrong, but say all his successes are down to other factors.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10387 on: October 03, 2020, 12:32:24 AM »

It's like politics. You form an opinion and then confirmation bias has people looking for whatever can be interpreted as supporting evidence. Anything that doesn't support that view must be down to outside factors.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10388 on: October 03, 2020, 12:34:26 AM »
Given what was and has been said either side of promotion, I don't think it's far-fetched to assume that had he not managed to get us promoted when he did we'd now be doing whatever we'd be doing without one of the most exciting and talked about players on the planet.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #10389 on: October 03, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »
The general consensus is that JG harbours the same vision for AVFC as sir Deano.

Offline mike

« Reply #10390 on: October 03, 2020, 12:46:06 AM »

He's not perfect, he's made mistakes but so far, in two years he's done everything that's been asked of him. I could equally turn it round and ask why it is that some people are so quick to jump on anything he does wrong, but say all his successes are down to other factors.

So what about tactics etc. It's not a trick question, I value your opinion but other than your articles it tends to come in bite sized chunks!

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #10391 on: October 03, 2020, 12:54:22 AM »

So what about tactics etc. It's not a trick question, I value your opinion but other than your articles it tends to come in bite sized chunks!

As I said before, questions over his tactics, selections and signings are all irrelevant in the long run. Two years today we were fucked. Since then we've got promoted, played in a cup final without getting battered and we've got potentially world-class players in the team. That'll do for me.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #10392 on: October 03, 2020, 12:59:34 AM »
Tactically he got us promoted, kept us up against all odds , Phil Collins style, and got us to a cup final against top 4 side In the world.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10393 on: October 03, 2020, 01:08:31 AM »
The general consensus is that JG harbours the same vision for AVFC as sir Deano.

Yep, John Gregory will always be a Villa man.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #10394 on: October 03, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »

Yep, John Gregory will always be a Villa man.

Absolutely he will.

Now we are talking.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal