collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1540774 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10350 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »
You want your best players available for your most important games. I don't want Grealish playing 3 games in 6 days, or McGinn, Luiz, Mings etc when the Liverpool game is the bigger one.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10351 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
i do not understand the criticism of the team selection, you have to protect key players and try to keep the squad fit.
The team did not perform and we allready know that a few of them are regular non performers so no big news. Can you imagine if he had bought Jack on to get lumped by one of their agricultural players and be out for 3 weeks the constenation?
What last night proved is that there is not much depth beyond our best 11 and why we need to protect them.

Correct.

Doesn't explain the Bristol game though, as Dean pointed out himself last night.
eh?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #10352 on: October 02, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »
i do not understand the criticism of the team selection, you have to protect key players and try to keep the squad fit.
The team did not perform and we allready know that a few of them are regular non performers so no big news. Can you imagine if he had bought Jack on to get lumped by one of their agricultural players and be out for 3 weeks the constenation?
What last night proved is that there is not much depth beyond our best 11 and why we need to protect them.

Correct.

Doesn't explain the Bristol game though, as Dean pointed out himself last night.
eh?

Pretty much the same side were brilliant against Bristol. Last night was a shambles for reasons that go beyond their collective talent.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10353 on: October 02, 2020, 02:07:12 PM »
A Villa team played well one week and shit the next. This can't be novel to any of us!

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10354 on: October 02, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
Training isn't 90 minutes of competitive football.

Ok lets not play Grealish, Mings, Watkins or Luiz against Liverpool as we probably wont win, and keep them for the games we might win as they might get injured!!!

Libor Kosak broke his leg twice in training, if I remember correctly
Well said TSV. Injury argument makes no sense. Was Guardiola worried about KDB and Sterling getting injured? Was Ancelotti worried about James and Calvert-Lewin being injured? No they are the winning mentality coaches. Don’t get that 5 games in 17 days issue either. Same as everybody else.

They have a bit more squad depth than we do.

They also have an actual manager with a brain. Smith isn't good enough for the Premier League yet.

He can't attract players either.

I agree. Not the top class ones anyway. Maybe in the future.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10355 on: October 02, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »
This season is very condensed. It's shit to lose a cup game but we can't afford burn out towards the end of the season. We will improve year on year, first team and replacements wise the longer we stay in the division. Last year was about staying up. This year is about stabilising and building a solid base. Next year we should have enough quality and a longer season and break to think more positively about going for cups.

Correct as well

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10356 on: October 02, 2020, 02:21:58 PM »

Ok lets not play Grealish, Mings, Watkins or Luiz against Liverpool as we probably wont win, and keep them for the games we might win as they might get injured!!!

Well said TSV. Injury argument makes no sense. Was Guardiola worried about KDB and Sterling getting injured? Was Ancelotti worried about James and Calvert-Lewin being injured? No they are the winning mentality coaches. Don’t get that 5 games in 17 days issue either. Same as everybody else.

They also have an actual manager with a brain. Smith isn't good enough for the Premier League yet.

He was never going to get us promoted or keep us up, either.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10357 on: October 02, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
Nominated as manager of the month for September.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #10358 on: October 02, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »

He was never going to get us promoted or keep us up, either.

We'll never see a record run of wins under him that's for sure.

We can forget any sort of Cup run.

And as for winning the opening two league games of a season, well that happens so frequently, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10359 on: October 02, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Yes that’s me. Play your best team in every competitive game. I do not like this modern day fanning about with weak selections for cup games. Aston Villa football club was set up to compete in every game.

We scratched the first time we entered the FA Cup, supposedly as we were worried we'd get smashed out of sight.
That might be a myth. The reason we scratched according to our Oracle could have been in protest at Oxford University (our opponents) cheating in the previous round.
I like that. That’s a much more Corinthian answer and sits well in my world of goodness about our club.

You wouldn't like to hear about our role in the development of professionalism

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #10360 on: October 02, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
Happy to be called a loon but I would rather be in the quarterfinals of the League Cup than beat Liverpool. Win, loose or draw v Liverpool won’t define our season, again it will be teams around us and we have made a fantastic start in the league.

I would rather finish 15th and win the League Cup than finish 8th. I want Villa to win things.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #10361 on: October 02, 2020, 04:59:31 PM »
Happy to be called a loon but I would rather be in the quarterfinals of the League Cup than beat Liverpool. Win, loose or draw v Liverpool won’t define our season, again it will be teams around us and we have made a fantastic start in the league.

I would rather finish 15th and win the League Cup than finish 8th. I want Villa to win things.

Loon.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #10362 on: October 02, 2020, 05:02:35 PM »
Only joking of course.

I know what you mean and would generally agree, but given where we are, where we've come from, and where we're heading, I'll give them a pass on this year, it's really all about getting as high up the table as possible.

And anyway, it's our year for the FA Cup.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10363 on: October 02, 2020, 05:15:05 PM »

Loon.

Just a bit.

Beating the best side in the country, perhaps the second best in Europe, would set our season up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:16:57 PM by Ads »

Online mike

« Reply #10364 on: October 02, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »

I'd agree, but as a natural born pessimist, if we can grind out a hard fought and possibly undeserved draw against Liverpool and that point keeps us up, I'll take that over the League Cup.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal