collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jesús García Pitarch - binned  (Read 80928 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Jesús García Pitarch - Confirmed as Sporting Director
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
I don't think anyone knows what were Sherwood's signings, and that includes Sherwood.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:18:40 PM by dave shelley »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2019, 01:15:46 PM »
Just Head could barely even do that but he is usually cited as one of Dim's. We made most of our money back on Rudi, amazingly.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
Have we not signed anyone yet today?

Richard OUT!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
A lot of people wanted Gestede though so I think some of the criticism for Sherwood over signing him is unfair. He wasn't good enough, and his complete inability to link the play was a major factor in how poor we were that year, but it's not just Sherwood that missed the mark on him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
A lot of people wanted Gestede though so I think some of the criticism for Sherwood over signing him is unfair. He wasn't good enough, and his complete inability to link the play was a major factor in how poor we were that year, but it's not just Sherwood that missed the mark on him.

Sherwood was the one paid the million pound salary to get it right though.  Gestede is comfortably one of the worst footballers I've ever seen at Villa Park.  He just couldn't run with the ball, at all.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »

Sherwood was the one paid the million pound salary to get it right though.  Gestede is comfortably one of the worst footballers I've ever seen at Villa Park.  He just couldn't run with the ball, at all.

Of course, I'm just pointing out that there were a lot of people that were very happy about him signing and, after a cameo against Bournemouth, thought he'd prove to be a bargain. The biggest problem was that he clearly needed lots of crosses into the box but we just weren't putting enough in (other than Amavi) to get that benefit and instead tried to use him as if he was Benteke. Sherwood was fucking awful but, in my opinion, Gestede was a long way from being his worst mistake (despite being, as you say, a fucking awful footballer).

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2019, 04:08:09 PM »

Of course, I'm just pointing out that there were a lot of people that were very happy about him signing and, after a cameo against Bournemouth, thought he'd prove to be a bargain. The biggest problem was that he clearly needed lots of crosses into the box but we just weren't putting enough in (other than Amavi) to get that benefit and instead tried to use him as if he was Benteke. Sherwood was fucking awful but, in my opinion, Gestede was a long way from being his worst mistake (despite being, as you say, a fucking awful footballer).

I agree with Risso he’s one of the worst I’ve seen ability wise,
 his attitude and work ethic were fine and I have no hard feelings toward him

He scored goals for others at that level that’s why I don’t overrate players who score a lot of goals in the championship I reckon even I could hit double figures and I’m nearer 60 than 50 nowadays

Gestede was good with his head but the ball had to actually land directly on his head he wasn’t going to be doing any moving towards it (blues apart)

he really was a walking bollard on the pitch

Offline paul_e

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »

I agree with Risso he’s one of the worst I’ve seen ability wise,
 his attitude and work ethic were fine and I have no hard feelings toward him

He scored goals for others at that level that’s why I don’t overrate players who score a lot of goals in the championship I reckon even I could hit double figures and I’m nearer 60 than 50 nowadays

Gestede was good with his head but the ball had to actually land directly on his head he wasn’t going to be doing any moving towards it (blues apart)

he really was a walking bollard on the pitch

I don't dispute any of that, I thought most of it before he signed and couldn't work out why people wanted him, but as I say he isn't the reason (or even one of the major ones) Sherwood failed and we got relegated. In much the same way that Hogan is similarly limited but isn't the reason Bruce failed to get promotion.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »
You're right Paul, but a manager's efforts will always be hindered if they choose to buy a semi-mobile hatstand or an ineffective human sausage to spearhead their attack.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »
Time for this to be resurrected. With what we now know with approaching half the season gone, I think the question has to be asked, is he all that? (This isn’t to absolve Dean or the players from their part in where we find ourselves)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
I think it’s too early to call, Rome was not built in a day,

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
Time for this to be resurrected. With what we now know with approaching half the season gone, I think the question has to be asked, is he all that? (This isn’t to absolve Dean or the players from their part in where we find ourselves)

Way too early to even start this debate

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
He hasn't been at the last couple of home matches, from what I could see.  Hopefully he's scouring the world for a decent forward.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
He hasn't been at the last couple of home matches, from what I could see.  Hopefully he's scouring the world for a decent forward.

Been too busy at supermarkets getting the Chirstmas booze in for Judy.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »

Let’s hope so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal