collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653999 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #3030 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:00 AM »
The amount of fans suddenly happy to sell McGinn is ridiculous.  On form he is the heartbeat of our team.  It would be madness to lose that when we're not strapped for cash.
This.  For me, McGinn is off the table.  No offers considered.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3031 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:17 AM »
The amount of fans suddenly happy to sell McGinn is ridiculous.  On form he is the heartbeat of our team.  It would be madness to lose that when we're not strapped for cash. 

The number of fans over-reacting to a simple difference of opinion is ridiculous. Nobody would be "happy" to sell him, unless the fee received was too good to turn down. He's not irreplaceable.
Selling our better players when a Manc club flashes the cash is a horrible pattern I would love to see broken.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3032 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »

The number of fans over-reacting to a simple difference of opinion is ridiculous. Nobody would be "happy" to sell him, unless the fee received was too good to turn down. He's not irreplaceable.
I'm not just talking about on here Risso.  It seems plenty would be 'happy' to sell him from what I've read elsewhere.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #3033 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:54 AM »
We are nowhere near the level of considering the sale of McGinn for anything other than stupid money. We are still a bottom half of the table side and he is very much a top half player. In fact, he seems to be the kind of player who can do his job at any level. Just because we've borrowed a famous Brazilian and battled back for a draw at home doesn't make us in the market for a World XI. With our squad, McGinn will still play more often than not.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3034 on: January 18, 2022, 10:44:50 AM »

Selling our better players when a Manc club flashes the cash is a horrible pattern I would love to see broken.

There's a big difference between selling your most talented player of a generation and somebody who gives the ball away on an all too frequent basis. I wouldn't be in a rush to sell him, but I think we need better players to challenge the top 6.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3035 on: January 18, 2022, 10:57:42 AM »

There's a big difference between selling your most talented player of a generation and somebody who gives the ball away on an all too frequent basis. I wouldn't be in a rush to sell him, but I think we need better players to challenge the top 6.

I also think that if the last 6 months has taught us anything, it's that no player - no matter how good or important - is bigger than the club, and that our owners are happy to reinvest, which means you can sell one of your better players and still improve the team.

And I say that as someone who absolutely does NOT want McGinn sold.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3036 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:42 AM »
The bottom line is that people are suggesting we should sell him. The rumour is that Man Utd want him. We shouldn't sell because there's no need, they are our competitorbthese days, and he is a brilliant player. The only side he wouldn't get in right now is Man City, and potentially Chelsea, but other than that, he'd get in any team.

We should keep him.

Every player loses the ball, every player tries stuff that doesn't work, we sold the one who does it the least, we should be keeping our next best at it. He also wins lots of free kicks and keeps the tempo going.

If really silly money is offered, then I suppose every player has his price, but in reality, his value to us is higher than the numbers quoted. £40m? You're joking, £60m? No thanks, hes not for sale.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3037 on: January 18, 2022, 11:37:54 AM »
This.  For me, McGinn is off the table.

If he were he might lose a bit of weight.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3038 on: January 18, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
The bottom line is that people are suggesting we should sell him. The rumour is that Man Utd want him. We shouldn't sell because there's no need, they are our competitorbthese days, and he is a brilliant player. The only side he wouldn't get in right now is Man City, and potentially Chelsea, but other than that, he'd get in any team.

We should keep him.

Every player loses the ball, every player tries stuff that doesn't work, we sold the one who does it the least, we should be keeping our next best at it. He also wins lots of free kicks and keeps the tempo going.

If really silly money is offered, then I suppose every player has his price, but in reality, his value to us is higher than the numbers quoted. £40m? You're joking, £60m? No thanks, hes not for sale.
Exactly - needs to be Joe type money I would think.  Pretty sure the club will want to keep him as much to send a message. 

To me players like him and Mings are missed when there not there. 

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #3039 on: January 18, 2022, 11:40:53 AM »
Why on Earth would he want to go to a shower of faeces like UTD?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3040 on: January 18, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »

We should keep him.

Each to his own, but I think you're wildly overstating his ability. No way does he get into Liverpool's team, or even West Ham's ahead of Soucek and Rice, or Leicester ahead of Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes or Maddison. I don't think it's the trying positive stuff that doesn't work that's the main problem with him, it's the number of times he'll do something daft in a dangerous position and just give it away quite often leading to a chance for the opposition.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #3041 on: January 18, 2022, 12:11:27 PM »
If John McGinn could be split up, would you sell his arse to Manchester United or keep it and sell them the other bits?

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #3042 on: January 18, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
If such a deal were to happen, I genuinely think it would highlight the different directions Villa and Man Utd are headed.  We are not in the same situation we were in when Ellis and Lerner were selling the family silver left, right and centre; the whole feel and vibe around the club and where we are headed has altered immeasurably.  We are in control, have solid foundations and a real sense of direction (unlike, say, Man Utd).  Would signing players like McGinn make Man Utd significantly better? I don't think so. Would selling McGinn make Villa significantly worse?  I'm not so sure it would. 

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3043 on: January 18, 2022, 12:25:14 PM »
Like most here I like McGinn and would rather keep hold of him, but he certainly isn't irreplaceable like Grealish was.

If we were to sell for upwards of £45m then it would be a great deal for us given what we paid, and I think we could recruit someone at least as good that would give us a more balanced set of midfielders. He is good, but I don't think he good enough for a 'top 6 team' as a regular. I don't think he would do much to improve Man Utds fortunes and for once I'd trust the club to use the proceeds properly.

If he went and Zakaria came in (or another player of that ilk) and we turn a profit then the team would benefit from it.

That said would rather keep him and sell Luiz and Trez.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #3044 on: January 18, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »
Clowns. First answer: No. 2nd answer: No. 10pm 31st Jan answer: How much? I’d take $50-60m off them for him.  None of that Ashley Young or Dwight Yorke nonsense- you want him pay the money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal