collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654088 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2745 on: September 14, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
Does McGinn even have a connection with Celtic? We bought him from Hibs, right?

I know Hibs/Hearts is a similar dynamic, but it's not like SJM is Neil Lennon or Martin McGuinness. I've always thought of him as just Scottish.

You really have to be a dedicated prick to find out another team's players' religious denominations! I had no idea which he was, and nor do I care. Sigh. Such utter bullshit it all is.
SJM’s uncle or Grandad used to run Celtic in the 80’s / 90’s. I think he was called Jock or Jack McGinn. Scottish version of Ellis from what I remember being told by Celtic supporters. Jack McGinn and his biscuit tin (where the money was allegedly kept)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2746 on: September 15, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
Having a 2nd club is weird.

I support Aston Villa. That's it.

However, I still follow other teams results, like Hearts because of my dad. Like Watford as that's where I was born and have family there. Like Harrogate Town as they were my non-league team and I lived a couple of hundred yards from their ground.

We all have teams other than our own that we'd like to see particular results for, whether that be wins or defeats, surely?

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #2747 on: September 15, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »
Does McGinn even have a connection with Celtic? We bought him from Hibs, right?

I know Hibs/Hearts is a similar dynamic, but it's not like SJM is Neil Lennon or Martin McGuinness. I've always thought of him as just Scottish.

You really have to be a dedicated prick to find out another team's players' religious denominations! I had no idea which he was, and nor do I care. Sigh. Such utter bullshit it all is.
SJM’s uncle or Grandad used to run Celtic in the 80’s / 90’s. I think he was called Jock or Jack McGinn. Scottish version of Ellis from what I remember being told by Celtic supporters. Jack McGinn and his biscuit tin (where the money was allegedly kept)
Does that mean it was John's granddad who signed the cheque for Tony Cascarino?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2748 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:14 PM »
I cried singing Abide with me at the 2000 Cup Final.
It was such an emotional moment especially as I was totally convinced we would win.

And so did I - i stood with my old man and hoped it would be full circle as i grew up with him reminding me every year about being at the win in 57 and what it was like to have won the 7th FA cup.

Later that year he died and it was played at his funeral

When i stood there for the final against Arsenal and it played i completely lost it.

This club has to win the fucking thing before i face the oven

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2749 on: September 15, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »
It was such an emotional moment especially as I was totally convinced we would win.

You'll starve to death!

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2750 on: September 15, 2021, 02:31:17 PM »

You'll starve to death!

It was just something I'd always wanted to happen.
At Wembley Stadium with my Dad singing that with my heroes ready to carve their names in Villas iconic and illustrious history.
It was all too much.
Then we kicked off.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2751 on: September 15, 2021, 02:45:45 PM »
To avoid a massive quotathon:
@WDV: definitely. Any terrace anthem that begins with "my heart was broken", and has as its main refrain the word "sorrow" will do for me.

@LeeB: it was Renton, but wasn't it in Dead Men's Trousers? I can't remember any chapters of the Blade Artist written from Renton's perspective. I'm probably wrong about both.

There's a bit of that clip where a Hibs supporter is in tears singing. That's me, and you, and every one of us when it finally happens.

The one with the green tartan scarf around four minutes in? I thought exactly that myself. The sheer disbelief/realisation is amazing.

Exactly. I thought it was a great moment, and the only problem I have with that song is I always seem to listen to it when I'm chopping onions.

And me.

Bloody onions !!!!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2752 on: September 15, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »
I'm a bit of a sentimental old sod and back in time when the Villa winning the first division was just a pipe dream, I always thought that if I saw it happen I would burst into tears. Well, we did, and I didn't.

Fast forward twelve months and on the bus travelling through Belgium enroute to Rotterdam I felt the same when thinking about winning the bloody European Cup.  Well, once again we did and I didn't. 

What I did do, when Peter Withe's glorious shin guided the ball into the back of the net was to raise my eyes skyward and point my flag in the same direction and roar at the top of my voice: DAAAAD! I did it again at the final whistle. 

He'd died four years earlier and it was because of him I was on this incredible journey following the greatest football club in the world.  The Villa have had me on the verge of tears many, many times since but you know what?  Having been lucky enough to see what I have seen, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2753 on: September 15, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »
I'm a bit of a sentimental old sod and back in time when the Villa winning the first division was just a pipe dream, I always thought that if I saw it happen I would burst into tears. Well, we did, and I didn't.

Fast forward twelve months and on the bus travelling through Belgium enroute to Rotterdam I felt the same when thinking about winning the bloody European Cup.  Well, once again we did and I didn't. 

What I did do, when Peter Withe's glorious shin guided the ball into the back of the net was to raise my eyes skyward and point my flag in the same direction and roar at the top of my voice: DAAAAD! I did it again at the final whistle. 

He'd died four years earlier and it was because of him I was on this incredible journey following the greatest football club in the world.  The Villa have had me on the verge of tears many, many times since but you know what?  Having been lucky enough to see what I have seen, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Brilliant post.
And now there's something in my eye.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2754 on: September 15, 2021, 05:06:16 PM »
Seconded.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2755 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Brilliant post.
And now there's something in my eye.

Wonderful post dave.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2756 on: September 15, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »

Lovely Dave.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2757 on: September 15, 2021, 08:01:12 PM »
Reminds me of a weird experience i had in a Birmingham pub years back when a drunk glaswegian Rangers top-wearing fan accosted me carrying a heavy looking scrap book. I was slightly nervous but he turned out to be tame, but the scrapbook just contained photo's of him following the Chelsea headhunters. No idea what was going on there except they have some vague hoolie link-up based on all that sectarian crap. Mind I once had a very drunk Celtic fan repeatedly ask me if I was Catholic or Protestant in a menacing way in another pub. Church of England seemed to confuse him and he went away. ;D.

As a recovering Catholic and atheist, I've always been a big fan of the CofE (whilst knowing nothing about it). It seems like a religion that sort of believes, but doesn't take it that seriously. As early Alan Partridge put it, he believes in God, but thinks of him as a kind of gas.

yeah its a sort of universal "well I don't believe in God really but its easier to say COE" Mind the big fellah was obviously protecting me that day..

Gave the same answer when similarly questioned by a Rangers fan on ‘that day in the Holte, 1976’. Mainly because although I knew I was CofE from reading the sign on my school gate, I didn’t actually know if that made me a Catholic or a Protestant.

This episode was documented by Richard Whitehead in COTR.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:23:24 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2758 on: September 15, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »

And so did I - i stood with my old man and hoped it would be full circle as i grew up with him reminding me every year about being at the win in 57 and what it was like to have won the 7th FA cup.

Later that year he died and it was played at his funeral

When i stood there for the final against Arsenal and it played i completely lost it.

Same here. My old man always wanted to see us win the F.A. Cup. Now I am older than him when he died and want us to win it.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2759 on: September 20, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
Hope he suffers no adverse effects from his concussion. But disappointing to hear Dean say the initial decision to keep him on the pitch was guided by McGinn. We shouldn’t have players assessing whether they’re ok to continue from a concussion perspective.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal