collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654015 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2550 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:32 AM »
The secret of McGinn's arse is now out of the bag, I'm afraid:

"In Spain, if I collected the ball from the defender, I sometimes had what felt like 10 seconds on the ball. In England, against the English players, you have maybe five seconds before someone tries to remove it from you. In those early games I had for City, I had a little bit of a problem – I would take the ball from the defender with my back to the centre circle and then BAM!, the opposition would come from behind and he would dispossess me. This kept happening in those first games. I’m a big man but every game someone would try the same thing when I wasn’t looking and BAM! I remember thinking, ‘What do I do? It’s impossible to play here!’

What helped me a lot was one of the physios at City who explained it to me very simply. He said, 'You’re already a big guy, but you need to do something to deal with the shock when people run at you while you control the ball. We need to build your muscles to absorb it. We need to build the strength in your bum and hips.'

It sounds funny, but your bum can be a very important tool when you play football.

I’m sure a lot of you watched England play Scotland last week in the Euros. What impressed me in that game was how disciplined John McGinn was in midfield, taking the ball from defence and protecting it from England players before making the pass.

If you look at a picture of McGinn, you can see he has very powerful legs and hips, and there were times where you could see him get the ball with his back to an England player, smell the danger was coming and then use his bum to shield the ball from them. The bum is important as it can create a moment of space between you and another player so you have more time with the ball."

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2551 on: June 22, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
The secret of McGinn's arse is now out of the bag, I'm afraid:

"In Spain, if I collected the ball from the defender, I sometimes had what felt like 10 seconds on the ball. In England, against the English players, you have maybe five seconds before someone tries to remove it from you. In those early games I had for City, I had a little bit of a problem – I would take the ball from the defender with my back to the centre circle and then BAM!, the opposition would come from behind and he would dispossess me. This kept happening in those first games. I’m a big man but every game someone would try the same thing when I wasn’t looking and BAM! I remember thinking, ‘What do I do? It’s impossible to play here!’

What helped me a lot was one of the physios at City who explained it to me very simply. He said, 'You’re already a big guy, but you need to do something to deal with the shock when people run at you while you control the ball. We need to build your muscles to absorb it. We need to build the strength in your bum and hips.'

It sounds funny, but your bum can be a very important tool when you play football.

I’m sure a lot of you watched England play Scotland last week in the Euros. What impressed me in that game was how disciplined John McGinn was in midfield, taking the ball from defence and protecting it from England players before making the pass.

If you look at a picture of McGinn, you can see he has very powerful legs and hips, and there were times where you could see him get the ball with his back to an England player, smell the danger was coming and then use his bum to shield the ball from them. The bum is important as it can create a moment of space between you and another player so you have more time with the ball."

Well I hope he has insured his arse 

Offline eamonn

« Reply #2552 on: June 22, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »
Maybe he can talk to Beyonce and her people about the right type of deal.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #2553 on: June 23, 2021, 12:54:16 AM »
Unlucky a couple of times tonight with half-chances at crucial times against Croatia. You get the feeling he relishes the more attacking role he has at Scotland with license to get forward. With Buendia and possibly more attacking midfield talent on the way at Villa Park this summer, I sense the shackles we put on him a little bit will continue next season.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #2554 on: June 23, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »
Unlucky a couple of times tonight with half-chances at crucial times against Croatia. You get the feeling he relishes the more attacking role he has at Scotland with license to get forward. With Buendia and possibly more attacking midfield talent on the way at Villa Park this summer, I sense the shackles we put on him a little bit will continue next season.

That is why we need a big bruiser of a midfield enforcer to be signed. That would allow McGinn and also Luiz more freedom to attack.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2555 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:28 PM »

That is why we need a big bruiser of a midfield enforcer to be signed. That would allow McGinn and also Luiz more freedom to attack.

Yep, when we need to be more attacking we can have Jack/Emi/Bert at 10 and McGinn/Sanson/Luiz/Ramsey as a pair in behind and when we need to be more defensive we swap the 10 out for a holding midfielder. Right now the only chocie if we want to go a bit more defensive in there is to bring Nakamba in and he's very hot and cold.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2556 on: June 23, 2021, 10:44:33 PM »
News now (I know I shouldn't) have Liverpool interested in SJM for  reputed £50m.  I love the guy but I would take him in the car myself for that

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2557 on: June 23, 2021, 10:49:47 PM »
News now (I know I shouldn't) have Liverpool interested in SJM for  reputed £50m.  I love the guy but I would take him in the car myself for that
Stop it!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2558 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:02 PM »
Nah. The fans love him, the players love him. We don't need to sell so no point in doing so. Liverpool clearly think he's a £50 million talent with better players around him. We are signing better players all the time, let's see how good he can get.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2559 on: June 23, 2021, 11:33:22 PM »
I’ve been following the story for a few days. The talk is that Liverpool thought they could get him for £20m. We’ve supposedly told them it’s £50m with Hibs having a 10% sell-on fee. They’re not prepared to pay that.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2560 on: June 23, 2021, 11:42:17 PM »
Stop it!

newsnow is ridiculous and has the feeling it is run by a team of 11 year olds

however i do go on it😞

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2561 on: June 23, 2021, 11:45:22 PM »
I’ve been following the story for a few days. The talk is that Liverpool thought they could get him for £20m. We’ve supposedly told them it’s £50m with Hibs having a 10% sell-on fee. They’re not prepared to pay that.

You can’t get shit players in the PL now for £20m let alone really good ones.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2562 on: June 24, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »
Stop it!

newsnow is ridiculous and has the feeling it is run by a team of 11 year olds

however i do go on it😞

As I've said before it's just an aggregator, nothing you read on there was written by them, it's just appeared on a site that is considered a news source. That includes some pretty ropey blogs when it comes to football so you get made up shit.

The criticism to aim at newsnow is the low bar for inclusion on some topics.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2563 on: June 24, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »

It's on the BBC (via The Athletic) and agree. I'd be inclined to accept that, much as I love SJM. Won't happen though.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2564 on: June 24, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
I do love how the press seemingly ignore small details like him signing a brand new contract in December less than six months ago. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal