collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654545 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2565 on: June 24, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
I’ve been following the story for a few days. The talk is that Liverpool thought they could get him for £20m. We’ve supposedly told them it’s £50m with Hibs having a 10% sell-on fee. They’re not prepared to pay that.

I like this new model of ours, telling those special big clubs to bugger off and also sniffing around their players.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2566 on: June 24, 2021, 10:14:56 AM »
I do love how the press seemingly ignore small details like him signing a brand new contract in December less than six months ago. 

Nuno signed a new deal at Wolves in the autumn. Love/Money changes everything.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #2567 on: June 24, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »
The so called bigger clubs must still think we are owned by the likes of Doug Ellis  and Randy Learner and will sell if they fancy one our better players .

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2568 on: June 24, 2021, 11:53:55 AM »
Where do people see McGinn playing next season?  Assuming we continue playing with a 10 and not two 8's, the way I see it is we need a new DM and will have Luiz, Sanson and SJM competing for the 'box to box' role.

I think McGinn provides more than the sum of his footballing qualities, with his personality in the dressing room, best mates with Jack etc - but looking at it coldly if that £50m enabled us to get an excellent DM, given we have Luiz and Sanson, would be stronger over all for it?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2569 on: June 24, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
I think we could manage without him but Deano loves him, as does Jack...he's a tremendous character to have in the squad. One of the few examples where I'd be keener on him to stay for non-footballing reasons than what he does on the pitch (which isn't to say he's pish...he's a fine player, but we are going to be crowded by top midfield options by the end of the summer).

It would be the first sale of a key player under the current ownership and even at a silly amount (i.e £50m), it would knock-us back in the reputation we have worked so hard to re-establish as a big club that means business.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2570 on: June 24, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
Agree with al that Eamonn.  It's kind of how I feel.  But unless they see Luiz as the DM going forward then as you say it's a lot of competition and I'd like to see what Sanson can do.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2571 on: June 24, 2021, 12:42:24 PM »
News now (I know I shouldn't) have Liverpool interested in SJM for  reputed £50m.  I love the guy but I would take him in the car myself for that
Get in the queue.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #2572 on: June 24, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »
We can't sell McGinn. McGinn is awesome. Go away Liverpool.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2573 on: June 24, 2021, 12:52:12 PM »
Think he would flourish in a better side. We’ve had average holding midfielders behind him and average attacking midfielders in front of him (excluding the wingers) for a couple of seasons. We will see the best of him when these positions are upgraded and that’s why I wouldn’t be selling just yet.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #2574 on: June 24, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
I’ve been following the story for a few days. The talk is that Liverpool thought they could get him for £20m. We’ve supposedly told them it’s £50m with Hibs having a 10% sell-on fee. They’re not prepared to pay that.

If the story is actually true, it beggars belief that Super League wannabees Liverpool think they could take an international and first team regular in his prime from a Premier League rival, and one who they must also consider good enough for their team, for £20m!

Perhaps they have SJM and Conor Hourihane mixed up. They might be able to get Conor for that.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2575 on: June 24, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
£20 million is a right piss take. If they think that’s all he’s worth they can go shopping in the 2nd division.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2576 on: June 24, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »
I think we could manage without him but Deano loves him, as does Jack...he's a tremendous character to have in the squad. One of the few examples where I'd be keener on him to stay for non-footballing reasons than what he does on the pitch (which isn't to say he's pish...he's a fine player, but we are going to be crowded by top midfield options by the end of the summer).

It would be the first sale of a key player under the current ownership and even at a silly amount (i.e £50m), it would knock-us back in the reputation we have worked so hard to re-establish as a big club that means business.

Agreed. He’s a leader like Mings who also adds more than just his ability. Think Buendia will be another one. There are quite a few in our team who would get in top 4/6 teams, which is why we are rapidly becoming one.

4 more and we’ll crack it IMO. DM, Alvarez, Smith-Rowe, JWP.

No sales.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 01:21:37 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2577 on: June 24, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »

Agreed. He’s a leader like Mings who also adds more than just his ability. Think Buendia will be another one. There are quite a few in our team who would get in top 4/6 teams, which is why we are rapidly becoming one.

No sales.

Rather than loooking specifically at the top 4 I think we should compare ourselves to Leicester, that's who we want to 'be' next year. If you pick the best 11 from both of us I don't think there's much in it but they have 2 big differences to us.

We have no one who compares to Ndidi and lets the 4 midfields/wingers in front of him play their game.
We haven't had a reliable backup to our primary centre forward.

Fill those 2 gaps and I honestly see nothing in the team that finished 5th that we can't match. After that we just need a bit of luck with injuries or to add depth to cover for them. If we can overtake Leicester then the top 4 isn't such abig jump from there and I don't think it would be impossible this year.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2578 on: June 24, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »

No sales.

Rather than loooking specifically at the top 4 I think we should compare ourselves to Leicester, that's who we want to 'be' next year. If you pick the best 11 from both of us I don't think there's much in it but they have 2 big differences to us.

We have no one who compares to Ndidi and lets the 4 midfields/wingers in front of him play their game.

Fill those 2 gaps and I honestly see nothing in the team that finished 5th that we can't match. After that we just need a bit of luck with injuries or to add depth to cover for them. If we can overtake Leicester then the top 4 isn't such abig jump from there and I don't think it would be impossible this year.

I'd say in Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans they've got more consistently excellent players than we have in the attacking areas. Obviously we have Jack who is better than all of those, but the drop off in quality when Jack was missing last season was stark. Buendia is a step towards putting that right. I agree that a top quality defensive midfielder is a must. It doesn't really seem to suit either Luiz or McGinn's natural game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2579 on: June 24, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »

No sales.

I'd say in Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans they've got more consistently excellent players than we have in the attacking areas. Obviously we have Jack who is better than all of those, but the drop off in quality when Jack was missing last season was stark. Buendia is a step towards putting that right. I agree that a top quality defensive midfielder is a must. It doesn't really seem to suit either Luiz or McGinn's natural game.

To be fair I was already counting in Buendia. Tielemans is the difficult one, I really rate him but I think Luiz and McGinn could get pretty close if they had someone doing more of the defensive work for them. get that signing right and I think, on balance, our midfield options would be a solid match for them, we just need that top class defensive option in there to balance things out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal