collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653916 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2100 on: September 22, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

He's class, he'll get there.

Rushed back in?!  He was back in training in March and played his first competitive league game in June!!!

He's then played just as much first team football as everyone else for the past six months.

I get that he's a fan favourite but how long does his free pass last?!

He broke his ankle again in March.

Yeah, I can't find the link now, but I was sure I read about some recurrence/relapse during lockdown that would have put him out for the season (if we weren't locked down).  He didn't come back in the summer having been training for three months, he was JUST back in full training.  Clearly he wasn't as fit as he should be, and quite rusty.

I think last night he looked fitter (and a little lighter), but still pretty rusty.  Misplaced passes, miscontrols etc.  That said, I've no doubt he'll play himself into form.  Jack is also notorious for starting the season slowly until he's up to proper match fitness - I guess that's just the way with some players.

If we're still wondering about his fitness/form in another four or five games, then I'll start to be concerned.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2101 on: September 22, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »
Fuck me, he's had two major injuries to get over before being rushed back in, give him time.

Rushed back in?!  He was back in training in March and played his first competitive league game in June!!!

He's then played just as much first team football as everyone else for the past six months.

According to who?

He gave an interview in May and never mentioned it - https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18480525.scotland-aston-villa-star-john-mcginn-says-horror-ankle-break-nearly-bad-facing-relegation-st-mirren/

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2102 on: September 22, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
I'm not sure he broke his ankle but he did have a setback of some kind because Smith mentioned it.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #2103 on: September 23, 2020, 12:35:44 AM »
Smith needs to back his words with action - another horror show next Monday and McGinn needs to be dropped. Competition is what will propel us forward and we can’t carry midfielders no matter what went before

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2104 on: September 23, 2020, 12:52:09 AM »
He needs a run out against Bristol City. A good game will help his confidence.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #2105 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:40 AM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.
Nah, it's not racism. But it is bigotry. The kind that makes many of us from Scotland, Ireland and Wales wonder why we are still yoked to the English.

Offline danno

« Reply #2106 on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:07 AM »

According to who?

He gave an interview in May and never mentioned it - https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18480525.scotland-aston-villa-star-john-mcginn-says-horror-ankle-break-nearly-bad-facing-relegation-st-mirren/

Took some finding but... yes he did have two injuries.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/03/fitness-will-be-the-key-for-aston-villa-midfielder-john-mcginn/

The Scotland international was sidelined for around five months in total after first fracturing his left ankle in December and then suffering a stress fracture in the same leg, just before the Premier League was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic in March.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2107 on: September 23, 2020, 01:40:32 AM »
He's been tweeting about the size of his aubergine today. Might do him good switching from Irn Bru to vegetables.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2108 on: September 23, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »

According to who?

Took some finding but... yes he did have two injuries.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/03/fitness-will-be-the-key-for-aston-villa-midfielder-john-mcginn/

The Scotland international was sidelined for around five months in total after first fracturing his left ankle in December and then suffering a stress fracture in the same leg, just before the Premier League was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic in March.

Thank you. Now book em' danno.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2109 on: September 23, 2020, 07:34:54 AM »
I think he will be the next to get a new 4 year contract

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2110 on: September 23, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
Smith needs to back his words with action - another horror show next Monday and McGinn needs to be dropped. Competition is what will propel us forward and we can’t carry midfielders no matter what went before

And replaced with.....?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #2111 on: September 23, 2020, 08:11:06 AM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

As a Celt, I do my best to embody this statement :-)

I don’t know how true a generalisation it is but it does remind me of a story I heard from a mate who played for Wales about how John Hartson’s pre match meal was spaghetti bolognese with a fried egg on top.

Offline Tony Boucher

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #2112 on: September 23, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
This quote is from mid-July:
Midfielder John McGinn is still building up his fitness after Smith revealed he sustained a thin break in his shin prior to the cancelled fixture against Chelsea on March 14.

"Prior to lockdown we were due to play Chelsea on the Saturday," Smith explained. "John was fit to play and he was going to be on the bench, but then earlier in the week he started to feel his shin. We sent him for a scan and we found another stress fracture, which put him out for another six weeks.

"He didn't train during the lockdown but once we came back to small group training he was back. He's been playing catch-up and it's been very difficult. It can take a while to get back up to speed but he’s certainly getting there now."

From Meaning Evil article on 14th July
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:08:38 AM by Tony Boucher »

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2113 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:01 AM »

And replaced with.....?
I'm looking forward to the answer :)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2114 on: September 23, 2020, 09:23:24 AM »

Another horror show? Blimey, he wasn't that bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal