collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654054 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1815 on: February 24, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
We need McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle. Grealish off the striker. Fuck the wide shite like AEG and Trez off. They're not up for it.

Agree with this, we also need to use Hourihane more from the bench. AEG is too inconsistent and Trez, well I’ve yet to see what the point of him is. A nothing player.

Apart from scoring the goal that got us to the League Cup Final and the goal that gave us the lead against Liverpool.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1816 on: February 24, 2020, 11:37:23 AM »
He’s not going to make one jot of difference to our absurdly shit defensive record. But he will give us a better chance of outscoring teams. Him and jack getting up the pitch with Samatta should cause some damage.

He will if we revert back to four at the back. Im sorry but this five at the back has been a utter failure. Why smith still persists with this garbage formation he will relegate us.

We look even worse. My opinion is lets go back to when enegls and mings were at cb with targett and guilbert at rb.

Nakamba luiz and mcginn in cm with jack behind the striker.

Dump bloody trez and aeg both utter shit and should be sold in the summer. Between them and jota what terrible business them three hav ebeen
And no width whatsoever?  Interesting idea.

So basicalky same tactics when aeg and trez are there
That's hardly a defence of an unworkable formation.  At least with 3 at the back there's more chance for the fullbacks to get forward and provide some width.
Yep. 3 at the back is supposed to work on the basis of highly- energetic wingbacks providing the width whilst the 3 in the middle compact the centre of the park.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1817 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:26 PM »
We need McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba in the middle. Grealish off the striker. Fuck the wide shite like AEG and Trez off. They're not up for it.

Agree with this, we also need to use Hourihane more from the bench. AEG is too inconsistent and Trez, well I’ve yet to see what the point of him is. A nothing player.

Apart from scoring the goal that got us to the League Cup Final and the goal that gave us the lead against Liverpool.

Slim pickings though really.  He's been hugely disappointing.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1818 on: February 24, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
Even when McGinn returns, Hourihane has to start games for me. Despite his shortcomings, the lad knows where the net is.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1819 on: February 24, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
Even when McGinn returns, Hourihane has to start games for me. Despite his shortcomings, the lad knows where the net is.
He does.  But when he's not taking set pieces it's like playing with 10 men.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1820 on: February 24, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »

I know but when you have the most fouled player in the league, it would be useful to have someone that can make that pay.

It's things like that that will be the difference between going down and staying up.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1821 on: February 24, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »

I know but when you have the most fouled player in the league, it would be useful to have someone that can make that pay.

It's things like that that will be the difference between going down and staying up.

I think that would require a change back to three central midfielders though. I don’t think Hourihane gets around the pitch enough and games bypass him too much to play as one of two midfielders.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1822 on: February 24, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »

Name 5 other games where has been brilliant for us? Or even name 3 games where was excellent for the whole game? He has been a terriblw signing for me. The goals dont hide the fact he has been a massive disappointment

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1823 on: February 24, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
The idea that you need 3 at the back to have attacking full backs, Or full backs providing width is bollocks.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1824 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »
The idea that you need 3 at the back to have attacking full backs.
No - of course you don't need to have 3 at the back to have attacking full backs; you can play a back four and have attacking fullbacks, as long as someone in midfield or wide is covering for them when they are on the rampage down the wing. Earlier in the season, we found that AEG and - to a much larger extent - Trez were not covering very well.

The idea that you need 3 at the back to have full backs providing width is bollocks.
The point is that if you have 3 at the back it gives more scope for attacking fullbacks; which means that it is more sensible to play 3 in the middle.

Liverpool do it very well, with AA and Robertson. SheffU do it pretty well with Baldock and our very own Enda Stevens.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1825 on: February 24, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
I think we agree Mr E and as you and many others keep pointing out, it’s not where the problem is and week after week our midfield is an open invitation to attack our defense.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1826 on: February 24, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »

I think that would require a change back to three central midfielders though. I don’t think Hourihane gets around the pitch enough and games bypass him too much to play as one of two midfielders.

I agree, and I think we need to do it as having a back three at present is not making us tight. We may as well carry Hourihane just to have him there for for set piece/edge of box threat than another defender.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1827 on: March 02, 2020, 10:34:38 PM »
John Percy saying that he's looking at Newcastle on 21st March for his return. I'd copy it here but it's behind their paywall.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/03/02/aston-villas-survival-fight-handed-boost-john-mcginn-targets/

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1828 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:56 PM »
I was hoping he'd be ready for the home game against Chelsea. I have visions of Villa Park going crazy on his return. What a reception he'll get! I guess it will have to be Wolves at home. They won't know where to hide.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1829 on: March 06, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
Back in full training by the looks of it. Nope, correction, not in full contact yet.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:29:17 PM by Ads »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal