collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654103 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1650 on: December 08, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
Showing why he only cost what he did.
Done nothing today

Aye, he's pish. Worse than Balaban.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1651 on: December 08, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
Showing why he only cost what he did.
Done nothing today

For whatever the reasons, SJM is a shadow of the player we've come to know at VP at the moment.

But that comment is a wind up surely?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1652 on: December 16, 2019, 11:14:19 PM »
The report states that SJM will be rested against Liverpool tomorrow and that the midfielder was in considerable discomfort following Villa's 2-0 win over Newcastle last month, and a scan revealed a tear to a thigh muscle, thought to have sustained playing for Scotland.

McGinn has been having painkilling injections to get through matches, and was not able to take a full part in training sessions.
He is believed to have resumed normal training only last week, even though he still played every minute of the games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Leicester.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1653 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:21 PM »
Needs dropping and has done for a few weeks now.

Well now we know .
He's been playing injured

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1654 on: December 17, 2019, 03:31:40 AM »
I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like the type of injury you can recover from if he's playing all the time.  Would anyone in the know hazard a guess at the recovery time with rest?

We need him at 100% asap.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1655 on: December 17, 2019, 04:29:40 AM »
I'm not sure why he should be knackered.  There are fewer games than in the Championship, and we're not in Europe.

We're chasing the ball a lot more in the PL. We kept the ball a lot more in the Championship.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1656 on: December 17, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
If he's playing through an injury it's going to end in tears. Give him a rest and get the other midfielders to start pressing like bastids.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1657 on: December 17, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
The report states that SJM will be rested against Liverpool tomorrow and that the midfielder was in considerable discomfort following Villa's 2-0 win over Newcastle last month, and a scan revealed a tear to a thigh muscle, thought to have sustained playing for Scotland.

McGinn has been having painkilling injections to get through matches, and was not able to take a full part in training sessions.
He is believed to have resumed normal training only last week, even though he still played every minute of the games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Leicester.
Fair play, what a trooper.  Hopefully he'll be back to his best soon.

Hard to understand why we didn't rest him for at least one of those games though.  He's too important to us to risk long term injury.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1658 on: December 17, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
Makes a hell of a lot of sense. Have to say I'm massively disappointed in Dean Smith if true that McGinn has a thigh muscle tear and he's been letting him play through it week-in, week-out. Wilfully stupid.

I want DS to stay and be successful here but it seems like every day that passes just raises another big question about his management this season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1659 on: December 17, 2019, 08:44:33 AM »
Makes a mockery of the 'we have two players for each position' comment when we are not playing SJM's replacement? 

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1660 on: December 17, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »
In DS defence, he will be going on the advice of the Dr and medical team. I hope so anyway.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1661 on: December 17, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
In DS defence, he will be going on the advice of the Dr and medical team. I hope so anyway.

There is no way a medical team has assessed a thigh muscle tear (if the reports are true) and said "yep, he's OK to play".

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1662 on: December 17, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »

There is no way a medical team has assessed a thigh muscle tear (if the reports are true) and said "yep, he's OK to play".
To be fair, non of us know the extent of the injury or what the medical team said.  I'd be amazed if Smith insisted he played against medical advice.

He's not the first and won't be the last player to play through a niggling injury.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1663 on: December 17, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
He was administered injections to enable him to play, its self evident that the medical team were involved in the decision making process of allowing him to play.

Sportsmen play with injuries on a routine basis. Find me a fast bowler that's not got a niggling injury.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1664 on: December 17, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
He was administered injections to enable him to play, its self evident that the medical team were involved in the decision making process of allowing him to play.

Sportsmen play with injuries on a routine basis. Find me a fast bowler that's not got a niggling injury.

A medical team being told to administer a pain-killing injection so a player can make it through 90 minutes is a world away from them advising the manager "He's fine to play" and DS making the decision on that basis.

Are you telling me they also signed off on James Chester playing through injury for virtually a whole season, on the basis of the fact that they were the ones administering the injections? That was clearly a decision made by player & manager.

The difference there is we had very little option but to play James Chester, who deserves every plaudit for agreeing to play nonetheless.

Conversely, Smith allowing McGinn to play through an injury when there are other available options is not just negligent, it's downright stupid. That's if the report is true.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:04:54 AM by AsTallAsLions »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal