collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 666230 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1665 on: December 17, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
He was administered injections to enable him to play, its self evident that the medical team were involved in the decision making process of allowing him to play.

Sportsmen play with injuries on a routine basis. Find me a fast bowler that's not got a niggling injury.

Bob Willis?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1666 on: December 17, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
Too soon.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1667 on: December 17, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »
Ooooooh. Too soon indeed!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1668 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
He was administered injections to enable him to play, its self evident that the medical team were involved in the decision making process of allowing him to play.

Sportsmen play with injuries on a routine basis. Find me a fast bowler that's not got a niggling injury.

A medical team being told to administer a pain-killing injection so a player can make it through 90 minutes is a world away from them advising the manager "He's fine to play" and DS making the decision on that basis.

Are you telling me they also signed off on James Chester playing through injury for virtually a whole season, on the basis of the fact that they were the ones administering the injections? That was clearly a decision made by player & manager.

The difference there is we had very little option but to play James Chester, who deserves every plaudit for agreeing to play nonetheless.

Conversely, Smith allowing McGinn to play through an injury when there are other available options is not just negligent, it's downright stupid. That's if the report is true.

Yes, the medical team will have had an input in the decision making process. Like with Grealish. He was played last season up until he couldn't any longer, as the risks of a leg fracture became too great

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1669 on: December 17, 2019, 12:10:07 PM »
Agree with all the points made in the recent posts.It was obvious to the fans that he was struggling and needed replacing.
If he had to play any games ,then surely the next 3 league games against possible relegation candidates should have been the priority.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1670 on: December 17, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
Makes a mockery of the 'we have two players for each position' comment when we are not playing SJM's replacement? 

Not really. I'm sure Barcelona have another player in Messi's position, they'd just rather play Messi if possible. Same with Aguero at Man City and so on. McGinn is one of our best players so they want to play him if at all possible. Having two players per position doesn't mean we are going to have 22 players of a Grealish/McGinn standard yet.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1671 on: December 17, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
He's adding nothing much to the team at the moment.  He's not great in the tackle, and he's not getting into dangerous areas to have a crack at goal, with one attempt in the last four games.

The trouble is, all of the midfielders we have, ie McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Hourihane, Lansbury are all looking poor at the same time.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1672 on: December 17, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
Makes a mockery of the 'we have two players for each position' comment when we are not playing SJM's replacement? 

Not really. I'm sure Barcelona have another player in Messi's position, they'd just rather play Messi if possible. Same with Aguero at Man City and so on. McGinn is one of our best players so they want to play him if at all possible. Having two players per position doesn't mean we are going to have 22 players of a Grealish/McGinn standard yet.

So the McGinn replacement is so bad that we'd rather play an injured McGinn. 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1673 on: December 17, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
Some players have to play if fit. For us it’s Mings, McGinn and Grealish. No ifs no buts.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #1674 on: December 17, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »
Some players have to play if fit. For us it’s Mings, McGinn and Grealish.

No ifs no buts.
...no Hackney Council Cuts

Sorry pavlovian response.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1675 on: December 17, 2019, 01:29:43 PM »
Makes a hell of a lot of sense. Have to say I'm massively disappointed in Dean Smith if true that McGinn has a thigh muscle tear and he's been letting him play through it week-in, week-out. Wilfully stupid.

I want DS to stay and be successful here but it seems like every day that passes just raises another big question about his management this season.

Same thing happened with James Chester.  Albeit Bruce leaving us with no defenders played a part

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1676 on: December 17, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »
Is not Douglas injured too ?

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1677 on: December 17, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »
Is not Douglas injured too ?
you are yoda and I collect £10.00

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #1678 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:18 AM »
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/former-hibs-ace-john-mcginn-gets-name-check-house-commons-1345991

Former Hibs ace John McGinn gets name-check in the House of Commons

Aston Villa star mentioned by SNP member of parliament

Thursday, 19th December 2019, 5:29 pm

Former Hibs midfielder John McGinn has been mentioned in the House of Commons.

The Aston Villa and Scotland ace has been a revelation in his maiden season in the English Premier League, with Manchester United linked with a big-money move for the 25-year-old.

For the time being, he is a fans' favourite of Villa - and when new Walsall North MP Eddie Hughes was congratulated for his address to parliament by SNP Commons leader and keen Hibs fan Ian Blackford, McGinn's name came up in conversation.

Ross, Skye and Lochaber MP Blackford said: “I must say to the honourable member for Walsall North, I know he is a great football fan, I thought he would have perhaps mentioned Aston Villa. I know they are not having the best of times, but I hope he is enjoying watching John McGinn that we gifted from Hibernian to him last year.”

Hughes, a passionate Villa supporter, recognised the reference with a cheery laugh.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1679 on: December 21, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
Probably won't be seeing SJM for a good while now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal