collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653680 times)

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #630 on: March 11, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
I thought McGinn should have started, but I could understand why he didn't. And how great was it to have some really good players on the bench for a change? For months we've had no one who could change a plodding performance. Yesterday the double substitution had an instant impact and won us the game. The decision to have McGinn as sub was fully vindicated.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #631 on: March 11, 2019, 06:15:05 PM »
the only thing that was fully vindicated to me is that we are a much better side with McGinn in it than with him sitting on the sidelines for over an hour
that's not being tactically aware that's scoring an own goal before you start

vindicated or not i a can guarantee he won't make the same mistake on Wednesday because he should know by now that is what it was

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #632 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:52 PM »
Thought it was the right decision. Keep a "winning" team, which shows confidence in the players. Having McGinn on the bench was a fantastic option as he's has so much energy they would be able to stay with him, as it proved. We've got 3 important matches in a week which may have been on the managers mind as well. UTV

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #633 on: March 11, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
I reckon McGinn will start next game and is the right choice  to. Whelan was the right one to start on Sunday.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #634 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:10 PM »
I reckon McGinn will start next game and is the right choice  to. Whelan was the right one to start on Sunday.

Quite agree.  Think Smith got it bang on the money.

Online john e

« Reply #635 on: March 11, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »

so we dont carry on starting with  a winning side then

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #636 on: March 11, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »

We pick the best team for the match, as we did yesterday.

Online john e

« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »

it wasn’t the best team though was it as was quite clearly proved yesterday when we bought a lot better player on in the second half and immediately started to play err...a lot better

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »

it wasn’t the best team though was it as was quite clearly proved yesterday when we bought a lot better player on in the second half and immediately started to play err...a lot better

It wasn't proved at all. The match evolved, as these matches often do, and our manager changed the team as circumstances altered.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #639 on: March 11, 2019, 06:45:46 PM »
Who managed to get booked AGAIN, and their central midfield substitute nearly scored twice.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #640 on: March 11, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »

He was only on for 20 odd minutes and got himself booked, the way things were going in the first half I think Whelan was the better option. McGinn was then able to come on and make an immediate impact.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #641 on: March 11, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »

I didnt say we should did I. Nice try though. Smith got it right even if you disagree with it.

Online john e

« Reply #642 on: March 11, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
well you’ll be glad to know I’m not going to carry on banging on about it

my last word tonight on it is if you have to leave one player out and the choice is Whelan, Hourihane and McGinn
for me the last one you leave out is McGinn

nothing to do with starting with a winning team (which he probably won’t do on Wednesday) or anything to do with experience, caution or whatever happened in the last game
just imo McGinn is a better player than the other two put together by a million miles

and in big games of football imo you should always go with your best players

imo obviously

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #643 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »
Who managed to get booked AGAIN, and their central midfield substitute nearly scored twice.

McGinn got booked? Must have missed that.

Up to those daft passes, I thought Whelan was having another solid game. Hourihane was the one who had let the game pass him by up to that point. His goal threat was the sole reason he wasn't hooked, almost paid dividends too.

McGinn was superb on the ball when he came in but without it he doesn't have much presence either. Gets caught wrong side far too often and needs to take a share of blame for our sieve like midfield all season. I thought we missed Whelan' s presence in front of back four for last 10 mins.

No idea what BB's remit was when he came in but surely he should have been sitting a bit deeper. In hindsight, Jedinak would have been the better shout.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #644 on: March 11, 2019, 08:14:13 PM »
I would have started McGinn but understand why he didn’t. Whelan did ok until that spell where he just kept misplacing passes. But up until that point he didn’t do a lot wrong and they never had chances. And with McGinn in the side Gardner got away twice and really should have scored with one of them. So for me it worked out just fine. He came on and when they were tiring provided the energy to help us over the line.

But on the note about his disciplinary issues, he has to cut that out. We all love what he brings but he has to find a way to balance his assets with his over exuberance which gets him into trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal