collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654454 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #645 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Who managed to get booked AGAIN, and their central midfield substitute nearly scored twice.

McGinn got booked? Must have missed that.

Up to those daft passes, I thought Whelan was having another solid game. Hourihane was the one who had let the game pass him by up to that point. His goal threat was the sole reason he wasn't hooked, almost paid dividends too.

McGinn was superb on the ball when he came in but without it he doesn't have much presence either. Gets caught wrong side far too often and needs to take a share of blame for our sieve like midfield all season. I thought we missed Whelan' s presence in front of back four for last 10 mins.

No idea what BB's remit was when he came in but surely he should have been sitting a bit deeper. In hindsight, Jedinak would have been the better shout.

He got booked for bumping into the full back that had just nearly cut Tammy in half and got away with it.

Offline KRS

« Reply #646 on: March 12, 2019, 04:08:41 AM »
SJM shouldn't have been booked and Gargoyles 2 chances were from corners or long throws I believe so SJM, or even Whelan when he was on, may not have been responsible for picking him up (I haven't checked how he got so much space for the header but pretty sure the one he lashed over the bar fell to him near Mings or Hause).

Under normal circumstances SJM should have started but Whelan provided a calming level head when it was all kicking off, however he showed how inept he can be with several missed placed passes which could have easily been punished by a better team. It's a nice luxury to be able to bring better players off the bench, but we can't afford to have one of our best players on the bench or played out of position so SJM has to be restored to the lineup at the expense of Whelan, Hourihane, El Ghazi or Adomah.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #647 on: March 12, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
well you値l be glad to know I知 not going to carry on banging on about it

my last word tonight on it is if you have to leave one player out and the choice is Whelan, Hourihane and McGinn
for me the last one you leave out is McGinn

nothing to do with starting with a winning team (which he probably won稚 do on Wednesday) or anything to do with experience, caution or whatever happened in the last game
just imo McGinn is a better player than the other two put together by a million miles

and in big games of football imo you should always go with your best players

imo obviously

We kept the team that won convincingly.

McGinn did a good job when he came on, due to the circumstances at the time. No one knows whether he'd have been better off starting, but a win away from home suggests the manager got it right.

It wasn't a big game for us.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #648 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »
The midfield that dismantled Derby all deserved a start and equally they deserved to be shuffled when they were losing the battle to the scum. I think Smith got both decisions right.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #649 on: March 12, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »

my last word tonight on it is if you have to leave one player out and the choice is Whelan, Hourihane and McGinn

nothing to do with starting with a winning team (which he probably won稚 do on Wednesday) or anything to do with experience, caution or whatever happened in the last game
just imo McGinn is a better player than the other two put together by a million miles

imo obviously

McGinn did a good job when he came on, due to the circumstances at the time. No one knows whether he'd have been better off starting, but a win away from home suggests the manager got it right.

do you think we should keep the winning team on Wednesday night to keep the roll going

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #650 on: March 12, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Like you John I love McGinn, he's my favourite player in a villa shirt for as long as I can remember. But I accept that the performance against derby was conspicuously our best for months, and it is possible that a team without one of its best players can be better for being more balanced. I expect McGinn to start tomorrow but I can see why he didn't on Sunday.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #651 on: March 12, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
i think it probably boils down to how you rate the players involved and everyone sees things differently and sometimes i struggle with that and i should no better at my age

i do think McGinn is a very special player, i really do whereas i don't think Whelan is
so there's is no comparison in my view,
i personally would never pick Whelan or any other midfield player for that matter over McGinn apart from Jack because i think he's that good, even when he has a bad game he's better than the rest

but obviously if you don't quite have such a high opinion of Mcginn (admitedly mine is maybe too high) and you think Whelan is more useful than i do then the choice becomes closer, whereas to me its not even close
so i look at it and think there's no choice to be made but others including the manager thinks there is

i must accept that people think differently to me on our players,
i was exactly the same on the Grealish thread a few years ago when he was considered to be lightwieght and not offering much,
i went all over the top defending him because i thought he was fantastic, when in reality he was probably not anywhere near the player he is now

i can be a bit one eyed on stuff so please forgive me for being a bit hot headed on this thread and others
i have to realise not every on sees the game and looks at the players in the same way as i do,
and i can go off on one like a big twat

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:21:29 PM by john e »

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #652 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
No worries, John! Take it easy, mate!

I love McGinn as well - don't we all? He's a fantastic player.

I just thought that, after the Derby game, keeping the same starting line-up was the right thing to do. Everything had worked so seamlessly in that match and Whelan had had a really good game in front of the back-four, so sticking with that team, with the chance to bring McGinn on off the bench on the hour, was, for me, the right way to go.

I think it also sent out a positive message, in that Smith can honestly now look them in the eye and say to them, 'if you perform, you will be given a chance', something he wouldn't have been able to do had he dropped Whelan or Hourihane on the back of the previous performance.

Be interesting to see what he does tomorrow night. I'm sure he will start McGinn, but will he push Whelan or Hourihane to the bench? Think he might stick with Whelan in front of the back four. We'll see. I guess it depends on Whelan's condition as well.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #653 on: March 12, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
It's about horses for courses. In a normal situation I'd have McGinn and Grealish in every week and pick the third member of our midfield depending on the opposition. But Sunday wasn't normal for a couple of reasons, first the way the team had played in the previous match and second, McGinn's a great player but he's also a booking waiting to happen and that lot would have wound him up into it. Wednesday night will be a different matter, it's our second game in five days so I'd drop Whelan and leave Hourihane or maybe depending on how Forest are lining up under you know who, bring in Jedinak. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #654 on: March 12, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »

imo obviously

do you think we should keep the winning team on Wednesday night to keep the roll going

That depends, do you mean the team that was on the pitch when we scored or the team that started the game?

Also a 1-nil in a game like that doesn't really carry much by way of momentum, a spanking handed out to a team about is where the 3 in midfield all made massive contributions makes it much more difficult to make chances.

Personally I think Whelan struggles to play every weekend let alone midweek as well so  he'd be out for me despite being very good against derby and good in the first half on Sunday. McGinn is the obvious replacement but I'd be a bit nervous about the balance of the midfield, I think we're just too open with CH, SJM and JG.

Offline KRS

« Reply #655 on: March 12, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
Let's not forget that we also have a few options off the bench now with Green, Carroll (if he's fit), BB (working his way back to fitness) and Jedinak...albeit the latter two can both be liabilities at times.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #656 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:30 AM »
Has to start v forest

I'd play whelan. Hourihane really struggled against first as DM earlier in the season. Carvalho and Lolley just ran through him

Boro don't have those sort of midfielders so id play hourihane for whelan in that one. He did very well at the Riverside

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #657 on: March 13, 2019, 08:32:23 AM »
I think we're just too open with CH, SJM and JG.

I agree, was not the midfield 3 that Forest danced through at will at VP?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #658 on: March 13, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
I think we're just too open with CH, SJM and JG.

I agree, was not the midfield 3 that Forest danced through at will at VP?

It was indeed.

I've also just noticed that we're in a run of 4 games where we're playing teams in the same sequence we played them earlier in the season. Derby, then Blose, these, Boro. A very entertaining ten points then, let's make it twelve this time.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #659 on: March 13, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »
i think it probably boils down to how you rate the players involved and everyone sees things differently and sometimes i struggle with that and i should no better at my age

i do think McGinn is a very special player, i really do whereas i don't think Whelan is
so there's is no comparison in my view,
i personally would never pick Whelan or any other midfield player for that matter over McGinn apart from Jack because i think he's that good, even when he has a bad game he's better than the rest

but obviously if you don't quite have such a high opinion of Mcginn (admitedly mine is maybe too high) and you think Whelan is more useful than i do then the choice becomes closer, whereas to me its not even close
so i look at it and think there's no choice to be made but others including the manager thinks there is

i must accept that people think differently to me on our players,
i was exactly the same on the Grealish thread a few years ago when he was considered to be lightwieght and not offering much,
i went all over the top defending him because i thought he was fantastic, when in reality he was probably not anywhere near the player he is now

i can be a bit one eyed on stuff so please forgive me for being a bit hot headed on this thread and others
i have to realise not every on sees the game and looks at the players in the same way as i do,
and i can go off on one like a big twat

We're all the same John.

I think McGinn is fantastic, and has been brilliant since he came. How would you tell the others, after a 3-0 win that they are dropped? In my mind, Whelan retains the ball well, is better than he looks at times and is doing a decent job right now. He isn't explosive, particularly creative or exciting, but he's a decent, solid player that does the job asked of him. Against that lot on Sunday he was a good choice, breaking up play, keeping possession and quietening things down whereas McGinn would have had them baying for more blood.

However, he did what the manager asked when he came on and made a difference when the game was there to be stretched a bit. It worked.

Both teams (i.e. pre and post substitutions) did well on Sunday and depending on the way Smith wants to set up we'll find out tonight. Personally, I'd like Whelan and McGinn in there and Hourihane to have a break.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal