collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 670030 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1935 on: June 23, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »
Far too early for him to be starting games.

Indeed it has been proven to be the case, so who and by what process was it decided that he should not only start but stay on the pitch for the majority of these two games?  Good as he is, he was no more than a passenger in these games.  Could he not perhaps have been brought on for the last 20 minutes in each game?   

Under normal circumstances I’d agree but that would mean he’d take even longer to get up to full speed and we don’t have time for that.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1936 on: June 23, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
OK he has two games now under his belt so I expect he will will be fully match for tomorrow.

No way should he be in the starting line up tomorrow.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1937 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:03 PM »

Indeed it has been proven to be the case, so who and by what process was it decided that he should not only start but stay on the pitch for the majority of these two games?  Good as he is, he was no more than a passenger in these games.  Could he not perhaps have been brought on for the last 20 minutes in each game?   

Under normal circumstances I’d agree but that would mean he’d take even longer to get up to full speed and we don’t have time for that.
Exactly.  Needs must and if we are going to stay up we will need him to play a major part.  We need to play him into fitness and form as quickly as we can.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1938 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »

Exactly.  Needs must and if we are going to stay up we will need him to play a major part.  We need to play him into fitness and form as quickly as we can.

Absolutely, and even if he has been poor, who's going to come in and do better? Lansbury?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1939 on: June 25, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
Weak by 60 mins should have been replaced for Nakamba and pushed Luiz further forward.

McGinn is being carried at the moment.
It's like what Villa did with Drinkwater trying to get him match fit with precious use of a playing position
Only difference SJM is a very capable and useful player

For me others may have to come in sooner during his game time or he has to be dropped and played accordingly as he's not doing anything of significance apart from one run into the box for a header a match and literally a couple of shots.

As we all know it's usually several forrays into the box.
Driving with the ball
Tackling ,pressing and winning balls
And shots and goals

SJM is just not doing that and after such a long lay off it's going to take a few more games

Does not help with team having little possession of ball.

Needs to be given the hook if he's not performing next game.
Painful to see him as he's limited at the moment and he's limiting the team for all his amazing qualities.

None are being shown ! Despite being the excellent player.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:48:12 AM by Vill I An »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1940 on: June 25, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
I saw signs in the first half that he is starting to look like the player we know he is. He'll get there, we just need to be a bit patient with him.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #1941 on: June 25, 2020, 11:25:08 AM »
Normally on returning you would have a game, then a week's training to get fitter, then another game. However we have had games every 3 days so presumably no training or only very light so this is a disadvantage for SJM/us.

Maybe if we can keep in touch for the next 2-3 games he can then up it and get more out of Jack as well.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1942 on: June 25, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
I think SJM could be firing on all cylinders 2 or 3 games from now. By then, he and Jack could be match winners for us.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1943 on: June 25, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
I think SJM could be firing on all cylinders 2 or 3 games from now. By then, he and Jack could be match winners for us.

I wish I was a  converted Small Heath fan right now. I'd have more fingers to cross.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #1944 on: June 25, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
My nagging worry with McGinn's form is that he was playing poorly for the few matches before his injury.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1945 on: June 25, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
My nagging worry with McGinn's form is that he was playing poorly for the few matches before his injury.
Yep.  I reckon we've seen peak SJM for about a third of the season.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1946 on: June 25, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »

I think he was carrying a knock when he got injured.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1947 on: June 25, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »

I'm not sure both Grealish and McGinn have ever played well at the same time really. McGinn prefers to be further up the pitch freed from defensive responsibilities, as he was earlier in the season when Grealish was poor. That was the time of Smith's " two number eights" when our midfield was being walked through at will.

While I can understand rustiness in terms of a poor touch or pass, his general conditioning levels are nowhere near good enough. Given the pedestrian nature of the Sheff Utd and Newcastle games he shouldn't have been so far off the pace. Seems to be carrying weight and if so that's inexcusable for a player at the top level.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #1948 on: June 25, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
The only plus point to his form could be, we should manage to keep him for another season, if we do go down.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1949 on: June 25, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
Remember Grealish or Mings did some piss take about SJM being a lard arse when they went to Dubai in January. They superimposed his head onto a Barry Austin style frame. All in jest at the time I know but now seems like they were on to something.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal