collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653919 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1905 on: May 28, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
He's a class act, McGinn.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1906 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
G'wan the meatbaw!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1908 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »
How many minutes do we think SJM will get on Wednesday?
I do fancy him to start but now thinking with the match on Sunday and the extended break that he won't do a whole 90 either time?
I'm also worried he'll get injured if he does and even just coming back playing there is a risk.

The Man has so much drive, energy and such a great dynamic to the villa midfield and team . I can't wait to see him back playing just want Villa to be sensible with him.

I've been reading and get the impression he's been encouraged to constantly be a nuisance to the opposition with his closing down , pressing using his enthusiasm to good measure. Like Jamie Vardy it's been said.
I think this is something that Smith has said for him to look to emulate in giving performance and always being involved and a problem to the opponent.
It's clearly a strength of SJM his attacking play and Smith has sounded like he's encouraging more of it.

I totally think he'll score if he's selected on Wednesday from that start and hope he gets decent minutes.
I imagine he'll want to play the whole game but Smith has to be wise to know that is not realistic.
We are going to have to see how best to utilise him for the match. Be it he starts or from the bench.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1909 on: June 15, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »
He’s been fit for weeks. We need to play our best players or we are screwed. Might still be screwed with him of course! But we need our best players on from the start. All or nothing, 10 game sprint.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1910 on: June 16, 2020, 12:20:23 AM »
Ok. Well he can't be 90minute match fit.
And he has to get to a level to retain that fitness .
Maybe he could even play a full 90 on Wednesday and Sunday but then he'll start experiencing fatigue and struggle v Newcastle.
The ideal way would be to play him for an hour slowly build it up and again Vs Chelsea and have him do the whole 90mins away at Newcastle or the following Saturday morning v Wolves

Whatever way can't wait to see him in action though must be extra careful with him

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1911 on: June 16, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
Smith hints in an artilce in today's online GRauniad that he probably won't play the full game.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1912 on: June 16, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »
Smith hints in an artilce in today's online GRauniad that he probably won't play the full game.
I don't really get this.  He was ready to return just before the lockdown, so has had a pretty full pre-season.  Given his natural dilligence and work rate I can't see how he's going to be significantly less prepared than any of the players who have had 2 months off.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1913 on: June 16, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
Virtually no player is ready for a full 90 min PL game after 6 months of no games. And this break has been nothing like a normal pre-season.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #1914 on: June 16, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
If he isn’t going to play the whole game ( which I get), is it better to start him or not?

Whilst normally I’d agree with always start with our best 11, the idea of him coming on after 60 mins,  whilst everyone else is tiring, might be an idea?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1915 on: June 16, 2020, 10:08:26 PM »
From on twitter

John McGinn: “I honestly think the break has been good for us mentally. I played with Douglas Luiz for the first half of the season before I got injured and he genuinely couldn’t understand a word I said.” [daily record]
“I don’t know if he spent the lockdown with his tutor online but fair play to him because it helps so much when he can understand ‘man on!’. I don’t think they know what ‘man on’ is in Brazil.”
“There were a lot of players all from different leagues and countries kind of flung together and because of the money that was spent, people just expected us to gel instantly.”
“But it really doesn’t work like that, especially in a league where you get punished for making mistakes. The break has been good for us. It has made us appreciate the situation we are in and we have 10 games now to get ourselves out of it.”

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1916 on: June 16, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
We have too many weaknesses in our side not to select the likes of SJM. It's a ten game sprint. Rest him when we're safe!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1917 on: June 16, 2020, 10:42:55 PM »
From on twitter

John McGinn: “I honestly think the break has been good for us mentally. I played with Douglas Luiz for the first half of the season before I got injured and he genuinely couldn’t understand a word I said.” [daily record]
“I don’t know if he spent the lockdown with his tutor online but fair play to him because it helps so much when he can understand ‘man on!’. I don’t think they know what ‘man on’ is in Brazil.”
“There were a lot of players all from different leagues and countries kind of flung together and because of the money that was spent, people just expected us to gel instantly.”
“But it really doesn’t work like that, especially in a league where you get punished for making mistakes. The break has been good for us. It has made us appreciate the situation we are in and we have 10 games now to get ourselves out of it.”

He's spot on with this, I've said a few times that the biggest change that we need is to stop rebuilding the squad every summer. 3-4 players in and out is the limit if you want to create any sort of familiarity in the squad and even then only 1-2 of those should be straight into the team from the start. Sometimes that's impossible (like last summer) but proper management (all through the club not just in terms on the first team manager) should mean you're never in that position and if nothing else I hope that's the important lesson we've learned from the last 5 years were we've repeatedly fucked it up and gone into each new season with a team that's been barely recognisable to the one we finished the year before with.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1918 on: June 16, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »
If we stay up we should just aim for 3-4 new signings this summer. A commanding CB alongside Mings, a good quality wide player and a midfielder who can read the game and stick his foot in would make a world of difference to us and would propel us to the giddy heights of 10th or 11th.

Offline ez

« Reply #1919 on: June 17, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »
I like his reasoning. Had there been no lockdown I expect we would be down now. We were in freefall and needed something to break  the run. Let's hope we use the situation to our advantage.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal