collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622264 times)

Offline Chris Harte

Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3675 on: January 22, 2022, 05:21:09 PM »
Surely the stand at Old Trafford and the new one at Anfield  go back, and up, further than the Holte?
Surely Wembley does too.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3676 on: January 22, 2022, 06:28:08 PM »
Surely the stand at Old Trafford and the new one at Anfield  go back, and up, further than the Holte?

Haven't been there but the ends at West Ham look far from the pitch as well. I've never found it to be an issue in the Upper Holte.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3677 on: January 22, 2022, 06:32:10 PM »
It might be because of the capacity or for some other reason but that's what the man says, and he knows more on the subject than anyone else does.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:07:24 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #3678 on: January 23, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »
The Holte End is higher than any stand, anywhere.

It goes all the way to Heaven.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #3679 on: January 23, 2022, 07:36:53 PM »
The Holte End is higher than any stand, anywhere.

It goes all the way to Heaven.

If I was young enough to know how to do those emoticon (?) things  I would

Instead you will have to make do with: -

Applause
Applause

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3680 on: January 23, 2022, 09:03:01 PM »
I was always under the impression that the Holte was the largest free standing end in the whole of Europe.

I also remember the first trips to Anfield  and Mold Trafford and being disappointed on how small the kop and Stretford ends were in real life. The camera angles on MOTD made them look huge. In fact the top half of the Stretford end was actually seating.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3681 on: January 24, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
I was always under the impression that the Holte was the largest free standing end in the whole of Europe.

I also remember the first trips to Anfield  and Mold Trafford and being disappointed on how small the kop and Stretford ends were in real life. The camera angles on MOTD made them look huge. In fact the top half of the Stretford end was actually seating.
I was in Anfield once when it was empty and the Kop looked tiny compared to the Holte but it wrapped right round the sides quite a way so not really an "end" in the same sense as the Holte End. It was listed as having a capacity of 30k which I find very hard to believe.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3682 on: January 24, 2022, 04:06:42 PM »
I'm guessing it is the top right hand corner of the Holte that is at the maximum distance.  Although the stands at Old Trafford, Wembley etc. may be just as high, because they wrap around it means the seats in the extremities they are not as far from the pitch (and why the seats in the curves at new grounds are lower than the central seats at the back).

When you are sat right at the top right hand corner of The Holte it is noticeable that your seat is not directly facing the pitch, but is over to the side by a distance.  Which will be another reason why a new North Stand will have to wrap around if we are going to achieve the capacity we want.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #3683 on: January 24, 2022, 08:16:27 PM »
I'm guessing it is the top right hand corner of the Holte that is at the maximum distance.  Although the stands at Old Trafford, Wembley etc. may be just as high, because they wrap around it means the seats in the extremities they are not as far from the pitch (and why the seats in the curves at new grounds are lower than the central seats at the back).

When you are sat right at the top right hand corner of The Holte it is noticeable that your seat is not directly facing the pitch, but is over to the side by a distance.  Which will be another reason why a new North Stand will have to wrap around if we are going to achieve the capacity we want.
I don't want the stands connected but I think a stand built at the height of the Holte which curves slightly at both sides would look pretty cool, increase capacity to well over 50k and keep the four stand design that we all love so much as it's quite unique in the top flight.

EDIT: I'm just daydreaming really because it's clear we have to do something about the matchday travel chaos before we can expand the ground.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:18:49 PM by The Edge »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3684 on: January 24, 2022, 09:43:37 PM »
I find it very easy to get in and out of Villa Park, parking city sode and walking for 20-25 minutes.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #3685 on: January 24, 2022, 09:56:25 PM »
Until the pandemic break, me and my old man would park up just off Victoria Road and do the twenty minute or so walk down to the ground and never had any problems getting away.

Since we've been back, he's not able to walk as far and getting away from the ground is an absolute nightmare, (as I'm sure many of you know) even a couple of hours after full time the roads are still gridlocked.

Only solution we've found is sitting in the tavern until the roads have cleared, which is a pleasant but expensive and time-consuming way to go about things.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #3686 on: January 24, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
I find it very easy to get in and out of Villa Park, parking city sode and walking for 20-25 minutes.
Me too I live within walking distance of the ground. I'm going mainly on the accounts I've read on this forum regarding big problems they're having getting away after the game.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3687 on: January 26, 2022, 06:35:34 PM »
Contains some additional details on the Las Vegas project that I wasn't aware of e.g. Wes' involvement in high-speed rail.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/soccer/mls-expansion-team-in-las-vegas-step-closer-to-reality-2516474/

I like the idea of them running football specials from L.A. when the Galaxy are in town. :)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3688 on: January 26, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
I'm not sure if the travel chaos is being over stated?  Yes there's been issues with the trains, but that is partly resolvable by better queue management to ensure the trains leave full.  A few specials would of course help, but that shouldn't be impossible to sort with the right pressure.

As for parking, if you want to be able to get away there are plenty of options if you're prepared to walk a little further.  Star City and the side roads close to the A34 being the most obvious ones.  If you insist on going down the rabbit warren of streets right by the ground, then what do you expect?  I walk about 10 mins and am rarely held up in traffic more than another 10 mins.

(I know not everybody is mobile enough to walk miles, but in those circumsatnces not much can be done other than provide better facilities pre and post game)

A redeveloped stand may include good social areas where people would be happy to dwell after the game (like Spurs) and help stagger the numbers too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:03:36 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline exigo

« Reply #3689 on: January 26, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
Until the pandemic break, me and my old man would park up just off Victoria Road and do the twenty minute or so walk down to the ground and never had any problems getting away.

Since we've been back, he's not able to walk as far and getting away from the ground is an absolute nightmare, (as I'm sure many of you know) even a couple of hours after full time the roads are still gridlocked.

Only solution we've found is sitting in the tavern until the roads have cleared, which is a pleasant but expensive and time-consuming way to go about things.

Villa could pay the four blokes in high-viz at Aston station to do the same, and thousands of us would get home quicker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal