collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622004 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #690 on: April 23, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
I think in hindsight MON should have been given total control of first team matters but some kind of DOF was needed regarding the structure of the club in general. I was a big fan of MON but like most managers it was all about the here and now and results. That is fine so long as someone else at the club has an eye on the bigger long term picture.

We needed someone who could have stopped MON dishing out lengthy contracts to older players like Heskey and Given. Steve Stride would have been perfect in that role.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #691 on: April 23, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
Fantastic to see that sort of passion from the CEO and owners.  I hope to God they see the potential in this club.  We were getting 41,000 for mid-table games not so long ago, we are getting those sorts of crowds now for upper table games.  Topping the table for average crowds I believe?  Just how good might things be in the Premier Division?  If we fail to go up this season, I hope they see the potential and continue to back the management team, making sure that we get off to a better start next season and maintain the momentum throughout the campaign. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #692 on: April 23, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »
The best thing they've done is employ Purslow and keep quiet. A proper administrator with experience not being undermined by a vocal owner is almost like they taken the mistakes made by the last 2 owners and been determined not to repeat them.

That was possibly Randy's biggest failing. He stayed in the background but didn't employ anyone decent to run it.

Out of his depth really. This became obvious when the money dried up.

I'm not sure the money dried up, he probably just lost interest.

Villa gave him quite a battering in his pocket. That and the financial crash

Somebody with a link to one of our former American players told Chico a few years ago that Lerner’s mom had put a pocket money cap on his investment in the Villa as she didn’t want him squandering the family fortune. The number I have in my head is £400m.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #693 on: April 23, 2019, 10:21:09 PM »
I think in hindsight MON should have been given total control of first team matters but some kind of DOF was needed regarding the structure of the club in general. I was a big fan of MON but like most managers it was all about the here and now and results. That is fine so long as someone else at the club has an eye on the bigger long term picture.

We needed someone who could have stopped MON dishing out lengthy contracts to older players like Heskey and Given. Steve Stride would have been perfect in that role.

Maybe Steve Stride would have been a good middle man/go between in the Randy Lerner/Martin O'Neill relationship but whilst their was clearly mutual respect between Stride and SGT and Stride and BFR I am not sure Stride and MON would have made for happy bedfellows.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #694 on: April 23, 2019, 10:21:20 PM »
Something just over £200 million is usually reckoned to be the cost. Or, to repeat myself again, £20 every time anyone entered Villa Park, whether for a match, a corporate meeting or just to ask directions to the M6. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:34:06 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #695 on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

MON didn't sign Given, McLeish did.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #696 on: April 23, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »

Somebody with a link to one of our former American players told Chico a few years ago that Lerner’s mom had put a pocket money cap on his investment in the Villa as she didn’t want him squandering the family fortune. The number I have in my head is £400m.

That rings true, especially with all the funds in a trust.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #697 on: April 23, 2019, 11:50:06 PM »

Surely the problem was that MON WAS given total control of the football side of the club and acted as DoF, Manager and Coach at the same time. He was out of date when we appointed him and did nothing to disprove that in his time at the helm. A third of a billion spunked up the wall and not a trophy or CL qualification to show for it and has been found out in every job he’s had since. And MON would have walked sooner if we’d insisted on a DoF as he saw himself as a Clough/Shankly/Busby figure the only drawback being he had about 1/10th of the ability.

Lerner was an inept a charlatan as Xia it was just hidden behind the money he threw at it for the first 3 or so years. As soon as he stopped the money his disinterest and appalling executive and managerial choices meant only one inevitable result.

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:56 AM »
Personally, for me it's not the money being spent, but the fact there seems to be a long term strategy. I really believe that we are going places with these two guys. The transformation since the summer is down to these guys.  I mean, people actually knowing what they are doing....who would of thought lol.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2019, 01:04:58 AM »
Yes, Lerner certainly put money in, but he seemed to be under the impression that with MON in place, that was all that he needed to do. His attitude seemed to be ‘in Martin we trust’ which is perhaps why he was so very obviously hurt when MON walked.

At this time we were outspending the likes of Everton and Spurs, but getting nothing to show for it. With hindsight there was an opportunity to break into the top four, which probably won’t come along again - especially since the Abu Dhabi money, and now FFP has come in. The big clubs were busy making themselves self-sustainable, by increasing their revenues and building scouting and youth development.

We ultimately have nothing to show for Lerner’s involvement. The greatest achievement, and it was some achievement, was to get a founding member of the Premier League relegated after 24 continuous seasons in the most financially successful league ever. I’m fairly confident that none of the other founding members who are yet to be relegated ever will be.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #700 on: April 24, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
he came, he saw, he squandered.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
To be fair, didn't he upgrade the training facilities?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #702 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »

Surely the problem was that MON WAS given total control of the football side of the club and acted as DoF, Manager and Coach at the same time. He was out of date when we appointed him and did nothing to disprove that in his time at the helm. A third of a billion spunked up the wall and not a trophy or CL qualification to show for it and has been found out in every job he’s had since. And MON would have walked sooner if we’d insisted on a DoF as he saw himself as a Clough/Shankly/Busby figure the only drawback being he had about 1/10th of the ability.

Lerner was an inept a charlatan as Xia it was just hidden behind the money he threw at it for the first 3 or so years. As soon as he stopped the money his disinterest and appalling executive and managerial choices meant only one inevitable result.

I don't recall too many people saying MON was 'out of date' when we appointed him. As I recall he was a very popular choice. Prior to taking a year off to spend time with his ill wife his successful spells at Leicester and
Celtic had made him some peoples choice for the England job as well as a lot of big club jobs.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #703 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
MON was not out of date at all and I don't remember people saying that at the time either. From memory, didn't some fans turn up at the ground the day he held his press conference?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #704 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
To be fair, didn't he upgrade the training facilities?

To be fair I don't think he had much choice. As I recall Doug had left the upgrade half finished because he didn't want to spend any more cash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal