collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 09:44:28 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:44:28 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:41:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 09:39:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:02 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 09:35:07 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 09:34:54 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:33:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 641536 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #4350 on: July 19, 2022, 01:41:24 PM »
Gerrard was disappointed with the finish last season? So was I FFS.
Realistically who out of Leicester, Wolves and West Ham will we finish above?
Wolves and Leicester.

And West Ham

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4351 on: July 19, 2022, 01:42:36 PM »
In a couple of years fifth probably gets us in the Champions League so that's not beyond the realms of possibility, though the likes of Newcastle and West Ham will be thinking the same.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #4352 on: July 19, 2022, 01:45:29 PM »
I doubt the owners consider our ultimate ceiling to be 7th, but for this season 7th would be a signficant improvement on where we were. Sustainable growth has been the mantra since they joined.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4353 on: July 19, 2022, 01:47:46 PM »
Seventh is the new fourth.

It would be a sign of progress, though we should be getting 8th at least I think.

I'm finding it harder to equate great owners and such an apparently highly-regarded manager with seventh or eighth being a success, particularly given our transfer strategy.
I think it might be considered a success/progress this coming season, and rightly so if it means bringing European football back to Villa Park.  But I do think that over the medium term, that'll morph very much in to 'Champions League'.  We've maintained a high level of investment for a few seasons on the trot, and look like we'll continue to for at least a few more years (with the development of Villa Park).  I think if we're not on a par with Arsenal/Spurs/Man Utd/.. at the end of that, some serious questions will be asked.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4354 on: July 19, 2022, 02:07:21 PM »

It would be a sign of progress, though we should be getting 8th at least I think.

I'm finding it harder to equate great owners and such an apparently highly-regarded manager with seventh or eighth being a success, particularly given our transfer strategy.
I think it might be considered a success/progress this coming season, and rightly so if it means bringing European football back to Villa Park.  But I do think that over the medium term, that'll morph very much in to 'Champions League'.  We've maintained a high level of investment for a few seasons on the trot, and look like we'll continue to for at least a few more years (with the development of Villa Park).  I think if we're not on a par with Arsenal/Spurs/Man Utd/.. at the end of that, some serious questions will be asked.

It's always going to be some time.....

Offline frank black

« Reply #4355 on: July 19, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
In a couple of years fifth probably gets us in the Champions League so that's not beyond the realms of possibility, though the likes of Newcastle and West Ham will be thinking the same.

Newcastle are a shoe in for the top 4…within 3-4 seasons. Especially if they have lawyers like Man city and the owners throw enough cash at it.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4356 on: July 19, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
It is, and given what's being spent, you'd argue it's taking too long. Which is why this season there has to be a big improvement. I also think the squad we're building is becoming more attractive to a top manager as well. If it didn't work with Gerrard, you'd think we'd have far more interest from more established managers to take on the project.

But we need the Champions League income in order to progress, don't we?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4357 on: July 19, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »
Well we don't exist in a vacuum. We were in the Championship 3 years ago, so bridging the gap to top 4 is going to take longer than 4 seasons. Man City and Liverpool are light years ahead of everybody and so then you've got to try to finish ahead of Spurs and Chelsea. Chelsea have finished in the top 4 for 17 out of the last 20 years, and Spurs with their formidable forward line, 5 times in 7 years. We're improved a lot but still have too many regulars who aren't top 6 quality (Watkins, Mings, McGinn etc).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4358 on: July 19, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
Harry Maguire finished in the top six. We have plenty of players good enough just need to add a star or two.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4359 on: July 19, 2022, 03:10:52 PM »
Well we don't exist in a vacuum. We were in the Championship 3 years ago, so bridging the gap to top 4 is going to take longer than 4 seasons. Man City and Liverpool are light years ahead of everybody and so then you've got to try to finish ahead of Spurs and Chelsea. Chelsea have finished in the top 4 for 17 out of the last 20 years, and Spurs with their formidable forward line, 5 times in 7 years. We're improved a lot but still have too many regulars who aren't top 6 quality (Watkins, Mings, McGinn etc).

Spot on Risso, particularly the vacuum point.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4360 on: July 19, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
We haven't finished in the top half for an entire decade.

7th would be a good season.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #4361 on: July 19, 2022, 03:28:47 PM »

I wouldnot disagree but Leicester made bullshit of that a few years ago

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4362 on: July 19, 2022, 03:31:36 PM »

Yeah bit of a freak. The established lot got complacent and they’ve since redoubled their efforts.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #4363 on: July 19, 2022, 03:34:17 PM »

Well I'd argue that Liverpool and Man City are pretty well uncatchable at the moment, and then you'll have Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal probably going for the 3rd to 5th places. However well we've bought, Spurs have Kane and Song who have guaranteed them roughly 30-40 goals a season between them for the last 5 years. If the new players click into place and we get off to a good start, I can't see why we shouldn't be up and around 6th place with the likes of Man U, Leicester and West Ham though. To go further, we need better strikers.

I agree with Dave, I really can’t see our owners accepting anything less than top 4.  I also can’t see Gerrard lasting long if he doesn’t deliver it.  There’s been so much investment in players, coaches, other staff and infrastructure that they clearly feel we should not be fearing the top 4.  Problem is at the moment I haven’t detected a team that feels the same way

Sorry, I think that is a totally unreasonable expectation.

Arsenal finished 25 points or so ahead of us last year, but still not in the top 4, and have a young team to which they’ve added Zinchenko and Jesus. How on earth can our expectation be “nothing less than top 4”.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4364 on: July 19, 2022, 04:13:04 PM »

An absolute freak result, mainly because they temporarily had three of the best players in the league. Vardy and Mahrez got 41 goals between them, and they had Kante in midfield in front of a fairly solid defence. There are exceptions to the rule (eg by having an exceptional defence) but on the whole to be looking at top 4 you want two attacking players who are going to get 30+ goals between them. We don't have that, which is why I think we need a big upgrade on Watkins.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal