collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 666265 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #4335 on: July 19, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
I thought they all worked for the same group Dave?  (although I don't know anything about newspaper ownership)

Specifically, I'm talking about Josh Williams (@DistanceCovered) for Liverpool who works for Reach, David Hughes (@DAHughes_) for Everton who I also think worked for Reach but now seems to be at the Mirror.  But there's also been other guests on the podcast from the likes of Southampton who just seem far more knowledgable than our bumbling muppets.

Reach owns the Mirror too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4336 on: July 19, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
The Express and Star is a thousand times better than the Mail for quality local football coverage.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #4337 on: July 19, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
Gerrard was disappointed with the finish last season? So was I FFS.
Realistically who out of Leicester, Wolves and West Ham will we finish above?

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #4338 on: July 19, 2022, 10:59:17 AM »
Very good article today in The Athletic which sums up our position quite nicely.

https://theathletic.com/3419028/2022/07/19/how-aston-villa-hope-to-become-the-best-of-the-rest/

Does anybody know roughly how much additional ticket revenue will be generated by the Season Ticket sales this season v last?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4339 on: July 19, 2022, 10:59:37 AM »
Gerrard was disappointed with the finish last season? So was I FFS.
Realistically who out of Leicester, Wolves and West Ham will we finish above?
Wolves and Leicester.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4340 on: July 19, 2022, 11:01:34 AM »
I thought they all worked for the same group Dave?  (although I don't know anything about newspaper ownership)

Specifically, I'm talking about Josh Williams (@DistanceCovered) for Liverpool who works for Reach, David Hughes (@DAHughes_) for Everton who used to worked for Reach but now seems to be at the Mirror.  Not only were they good for their own teams but talked about Villa with real knowledge.  But there's also been other guests on the podcast from the likes of Southampton who just seem far more knowledgable than our bumbling muppets.

They all have the same owners but the content is massively different. The Liverpool and Manchester titles broadcast their cities to the world; the Mail tells potential visitors they'll be lucky to get home in one piece.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4341 on: July 19, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
Paywalled...
Obviously ensure that your subscription for whatever thing you're accessing is up to date, but https://12ft.io is handy if you can't be bothered logging in every time

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4342 on: July 19, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
7th is the aim, that is a big ask I would say, unless we get a couple more players noticeably better.

The ambition is great though  - and I much rather fail try to get 7th, then fail trying to stay up

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #4343 on: July 19, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
Seventh is the new fourth.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4344 on: July 19, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »

It's twelve years since we managed it.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4345 on: July 19, 2022, 11:49:31 AM »

It would be a sign of progress, though we should be getting 8th at least I think.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #4346 on: July 19, 2022, 12:59:28 PM »

It would be a sign of progress, though we should be getting 8th at least I think.

I'm finding it harder to equate great owners and such an apparently highly-regarded manager with seventh or eighth being a success, particularly given our transfer strategy.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4347 on: July 19, 2022, 01:12:27 PM »

yep and a couple of cups please

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4348 on: July 19, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »

I'm finding it harder to equate great owners and such an apparently highly-regarded manager with seventh or eighth being a success, particularly given our transfer strategy.

Well I'd argue that Liverpool and Man City are pretty well uncatchable at the moment, and then you'll have Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal probably going for the 3rd to 5th places. However well we've bought, Spurs have Kane and Song who have guaranteed them roughly 30-40 goals a season between them for the last 5 years. If the new players click into place and we get off to a good start, I can't see why we shouldn't be up and around 6th place with the likes of Man U, Leicester and West Ham though. To go further, we need better strikers.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #4349 on: July 19, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »

Well I'd argue that Liverpool and Man City are pretty well uncatchable at the moment, and then you'll have Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal probably going for the 3rd to 5th places. However well we've bought, Spurs have Kane and Song who have guaranteed them roughly 30-40 goals a season between them for the last 5 years. If the new players click into place and we get off to a good start, I can't see why we shouldn't be up and around 6th place with the likes of Man U, Leicester and West Ham though. To go further, we need better strikers.

I agree with Dave, I really can’t see our owners accepting anything less than top 4.  I also can’t see Gerrard lasting long if he doesn’t deliver it.  There’s been so much investment in players, coaches, other staff and infrastructure that they clearly feel we should not be fearing the top 4.  Problem is at the moment I haven’t detected a team that feels the same way

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal