collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 652471 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3540 on: December 08, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »
An American said to me that as long as you avoid California then Americans are lovely . Bit like the UK and London.

My wife and I got married in Malibu, stayed in LA.and honeymooned in Palm Springs. I can also say the people of Cali are lovely.
The only place that you come across persistently obnoxious is New York and New Jersey is a the equivalent of Essex.

I am always dubious about castigating a certain region of people.  Is there not twats everywhere
I mean, there's higher or lower concentrations in different places, but yeah ... you get twats everywhere, and you get lovely folk everywhere too.

We visited America when I was 7.  You'll struggle to get any subtleties out of me, but I remember we visited Las Vegas and I really enjoyed it - went to see the Grand Canyon, which was utterly amazing.   Went to the Hoover Dam & Death Valley too.  A mate went recently with work, and he said that downtown was quite a lot more fun than the strip.

One thing I did get from America was that, whilst there's some undoubtedly 'odd' views on stuff like guns, race, and whatnot ... I mean, they've really messed up on the whole breakfast thing, they've not understood that concept at all.  But amongst that, there's some really lovely, warm, quirky people too.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3541 on: December 08, 2021, 10:10:25 AM »
An American said to me that as long as you avoid California then Americans are lovely . Bit like the UK and London.

My wife and I got married in Malibu, stayed in LA.and honeymooned in Palm Springs. I can also say the people of Cali are lovely.
The only place that you come across persistently obnoxious is New York and New Jersey is a the equivalent of Essex.

I am always dubious about castigating a certain region of people.  Is there not twats everywhere

True, but there's a general twat drift and accumulation to certain areas. Over here we send them to London and if we're lucky they end up in California.

James Corden - London - California
Prince Harry - London - California
Piers Morgan - London - California

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3542 on: December 08, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »

yes, it’s just that Certain places have higher concentrations. Sometimes stereotypes are indicative.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3543 on: December 08, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
I visited Vegas about a month ago, first time out the country for nearly two years! My main customer over there moved to Las Vegas as it has a good airport for getting around the US on direct flights. His business is still based in Fresno, which is in the main agricultural region of California (Central Valley).

Vegas was what you would expect, and a bit too busy for me. Can see why a 'soccer franchise' would work there though. And if I have to visit a couple of times a year and I can watch Yankee Villa (or whatever they end up being), that's a bonus I guess.

As for California, I agree that the big cities are not the full of the best of America. However I spend most of my time there in small towns in the agricultural areas and they are very different, and find the people really nice. Fresno and Bakersfield are not pretty cities, but the national parks near them are incredible. I like America in general though, Brits get a really warm welcome there and there is so much to see.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #3544 on: December 08, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »

True, but there's a general twat drift and accumulation to certain areas. Over here we send them to London and if we're lucky they end up in California.

Cali is a lot more than a few suburbs in L.A. though. It's a big fucking place.

If we are to make sweeping generalizations about the U.S., I'd go with the West and East coast being noticeably different to the middle. Though my own travel experiences in middle-America have been great with unfailingly hospitable and polite people, I am mindful of steering conversations onto safe subjects as there are some cultural differences that can otherwise make for awkward and strained exchanges.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3545 on: December 08, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »

If we are to make sweeping generalizations about the U.S., I'd go with the West and East coast being noticeably different to the middle. Though my own travel experiences in middle-America have been great with unfailingly hospitable and polite people, I am mindful of steering conversations onto safe subjects as there are some cultural differences that can otherwise make for awkward and strained exchanges.
Such as? I'm hoping to go there next year and don't want to make an ass of myself

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3546 on: December 08, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »
Religion, abortion and Donald Trump would be three to steer clear of.

I love the States, elements of the population may have a very insular view of the world, but the majority I've come across are warm, friendly and hospitable.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #3547 on: December 08, 2021, 12:52:36 PM »
Vegas - Blackpool without the charm.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #3548 on: December 08, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
Guns and domestic politics. (Though it can be both interesting and weirdly entertaining if you can sit back and just listen but it's hard to hold yer tongue).

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #3549 on: December 08, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »

yeah those comments are a tad tongue in cheek  ;) The only direct knowledge of urban California I have is a bloke I watch on youtube who fixes televisions he finds in the street by jetwashing them, plugging them in and if they don't explode, kicking them a bit and I find the insight he provides of the culture fascinating. It seems a bit of a hellhole compared to the sunny California myth, but perhaps his dislike of the place has rubbed off on me. He's a bit "choppy" at the best of times.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3550 on: December 08, 2021, 12:58:55 PM »
I expected to hate Vegas but was swept up in the utter insanity of the place.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #3551 on: December 08, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »
Yeah I got that, SB. I'm just a bit protective of California. The High Sierras is my happy place.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #3552 on: December 08, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Yeah I got that, SB. I'm just a bit protective of California. The High Sierras is my happy place.

yeah, as you and others have said, you can't generalise about people and places especially in somewhere as vast as America so a snapshot of decaying downtown LA is no more valid a take than anywhere else. Although I will probably continue to generalise about London  8)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3553 on: December 08, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
I expected to hate Vegas but was swept up in the utter insanity of the place.

That it, it's the scale and the madness of it.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3554 on: December 08, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »

Britain's loss is America's loss also.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal