collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:52:56 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:09:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:06:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 02:03:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:01:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:59:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:58:50 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 672079 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #1170 on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
Rebuild the North Stand, fill in the corners, make it up to 50,000.  The need is there, more people on the planet now than ever, make use of it.  Birmingham is a fantastic city, I'm sure that the likes of Christian Purslow will turn the football club back into an internationally renowned club but it might take a bit of time.  The stadium though, could be done next summer.  In-between London and Manchester, there is fuck all worth watching. might as well take advantage of that!

But the facilities remain poor.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1171 on: July 29, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Rebuild the North Stand, fill in the corners, make it up to 50,000.  The need is there, more people on the planet now than ever, make use of it.  Birmingham is a fantastic city, I'm sure that the likes of Christian Purslow will turn the football club back into an internationally renowned club but it might take a bit of time.  The stadium though, could be done next summer.  In-between London and Manchester, there is fuck all worth watching. might as well take advantage of that!

But the facilities remain poor.

Yes they do and need sorting.  It has to be a systemic change and the matchday experience needs to be a whole lot better, I agree. 

Offline danno

« Reply #1172 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
If the owners see us as a top half premier league side we'll redevelop the north stand.

If they intend for us to rub shoulders with Juventus Bayern etc on a regular basis, they'll be planning on building a new stadium.

Bayern moved, Juventus moved, I think if we have any serious ambition of living up to our history (rather than living in it) we would probably have to move too.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1173 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
The idea of a new stadium on the old Wholesale Markets site is a non-starter.  The reason for moving the markets is to open up the area to re-link Digbeth and Highgate to the centre so that residential areas can be built (see 'The Big City Plan').  The Planners are not going to accept a massive stadium blocking what they are trying to create. Any new major stadium will have to be built outside the inner ring road.

Any reason why it couldn’t be in the Gun Quarter?
Theres no available land?

Is that a question or an answer?

The area looks quite built up and no clear large plot that could be the centre for development.  Bear in mind that it is not just the stadium but clear space around.  The clearest area has the Hockley substation built over it.  The area contains a very significant number of small industrial/commercial businesses.  It is not like other areas e.g. Eastside where there is a lot of derelict land.  Not everybody can travel by public transport and there are those that do not want to, so a fair car parking infrastructure is required.  Add to this, the City vision of developing the canal area into higher quality residential and you see that there are very few areas near the city centre.  In fact the area offering the best opportunity is towards that tip on the hill.

To make a move financially viable, the stadium would need to be built with other attractions to draw people in for other than match days.  One thing that would be a big tourist draw and something that I am surprised has never been built, is a large scale industrial museum to showcase the 'City of a thousand trades'.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1174 on: July 29, 2019, 10:36:01 PM »
I don’t think using Man City and West Ham Will ever be good examples to justify a new stadium. They used existing facilities built for the entirely different events. Spurs seems to be the closest thing to something fans actually want.

Again, it doesn't really matter how they got into the new grounds. The point is, even a half-arsed club who used to be famous like West Ham are pulling in well over 50,000 a game.

In London.

Did all the London clubs used to get bigger crowds than us when neither they nor us were filled to capacity?

I've no idea. What I do understand though, is that the Premier League juggernaut keeps on rolling and that London is perfectly placed to take advantage.

In the future perhaps that could happen in Birmingham. If the Villa (and potentially the other West Midlands clubs too) become successful, then crowds will follow. The potential is huge. But there has to be some measure of success to warrant spending millions, or even billions, on a stadium.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1175 on: July 29, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
I don’t think using Man City and West Ham Will ever be good examples to justify a new stadium. They used existing facilities built for the entirely different events. Spurs seems to be the closest thing to something fans actually want.

Again, it doesn't really matter how they got into the new grounds. The point is, even a half-arsed club who used to be famous like West Ham are pulling in well over 50,000 a game.

In London.

Did all the London clubs used to get bigger crowds than us when neither they nor us were filled to capacity?

I've no idea. What I do understand though, is that the Premier League juggernaut keeps on rolling and that London is perfectly placed to take advantage.

In the future perhaps that could happen in Birmingham. If the Villa (and potentially the other West Midlands clubs too) become successful, then crowds will follow. The potential is huge. But there has to be some measure of success to warrant spending millions, or even billions, on a stadium.

Why? It's not my money, but then I'm not a multibillionaire sport club owner.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1176 on: July 29, 2019, 10:53:17 PM »
As supporters, live a little. It's not as if any of us will be involved in any development, whatever happens. Dream big. Dream bigger than filled-in corners and twice-as-big-but-still-as-shit North Stand. Dream 26k single bank Holte. Dream restored Trinity. Dream Witton Bank End. Dream Witton Lane Lions Clubs, dream walk-round concourses and street accessed concessions. Dream hard enough, they might come true.

Offline Hinckley Dave

« Reply #1177 on: July 29, 2019, 11:01:14 PM »
I keep hearing that these days the actual through the gate punter isn't that important, financially, to clubs in the top division anymore, it's all about tv money. So having a full 42000 seat ground is not going to stop us competing with other clubs with bigger grounds. It's all about who has the richest owners. Chelsea suddenly had a rich owner and started competing and winning with a ground smaller than ours. Likewise clubs with bigger grounds, West Ham, Sunderland, Newcastle with less wealthy owners haven't. If we regularly sell out 30000 season tickets each season and start getting waiting lists then we can start talking about expansion but right now it's not needed.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1178 on: July 29, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
If the owners see us as a top half premier league side we'll redevelop the north stand.

If they intend for us to rub shoulders with Juventus Bayern etc on a regular basis, they'll be planning on building a new stadium.

Bayern moved, Juventus moved, I think if we have any serious ambition of living up to our history (rather than living in it) we would probably have to move too.

Exactly.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1179 on: July 29, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »

Worth mentioning also that Juventus moved - to a significantly smaller stadium - 69,000 to 41,500 - because the facilities at the older stadium were so poor.

Also interesting (and I didn't realise this until i just checked on google) but since moving in 2011, they've only averaged 38,000

Juventus are such a weird club. If they played all their home games in Southern Italy, they'd sell 80,000 tickets week in, week out, but their home crowds are abysmal and have been for years.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1180 on: July 29, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »

Worth mentioning also that Juventus moved - to a significantly smaller stadium - 69,000 to 41,500 - because the facilities at the older stadium were so poor.

Also interesting (and I didn't realise this until i just checked on google) but since moving in 2011, they've only averaged 38,000

Juventus are such a weird club. If they played all their home games in Southern Italy, they'd sell 80,000 tickets week in, week out, but their home crowds are abysmal and have been for years.

Yep Torino the bigger club.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1181 on: July 29, 2019, 11:19:30 PM »

Juventus are easily, easily the best supported club in Italy.

Everywhere except Turin on match day.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1182 on: July 29, 2019, 11:20:52 PM »

How on earth did you arrive at that conclusion?

Offline danno

« Reply #1183 on: July 29, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »

Think it's interesting that match day revenues actually increased (doubled even) after as you say the attendances halved.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/251160/revenue-of-juventus-turin-by-stream/

Do you think that's just a lot more corporate boxes? We'd have to sell a lot of balti pies to double our match day takings!

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1184 on: July 29, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »
Doubling our matchday takings could be achieved by selling to all the people who wanted to buy something the thing they'd like to buy, I reckon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal