collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140262 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #990 on: October 20, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
I’m still in shock after all this time that we recruited him as manager. I still remember when the news broke we were “pursuing” him that it was just some nose on the wind up and we’d all just laugh about it after. But nope, it happened. Still as it turned out not the worst manager we ever had.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #991 on: October 20, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
I bet my wife (then girlfriend) in 2011 that we would appoint Alex McLeish as manager, she didn't think we would.

She owes me £1 still.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #992 on: October 20, 2020, 06:16:09 PM »
I’m still in shock after all this time that we recruited him as manager. I still remember when the news broke we were “pursuing” him that it was just some nose on the wind up and we’d all just laugh about it after. But nope, it happened. Still as it turned out not the worst manager we ever had.

Possibly not the worst manager but, for me, he was comfortably the worst managerial hire we've had since I started following the club (around 1990). We had clearly started on the downward spiral but that summer we were still a decent bet for a manager and we put him in the top 20 earners for managers in Europe so it's not like he was a cheap punt. He left us with some shit players on big money, despite not getting much to spend, did nothing to help the academy players come through and I can't recall a single good performance in the season we suffered him.

What I don't get with Fergie is how so many players from his time completely missed what made him a good manager and decided they could wing it by focusing on nothing but trying to be motivational. It's scary how many of them don't seem to put much value in coaching or tactics. I can't decide if that means he did the same and was just better at it (I don't really think this is true) or if it all happened in the background and none of the players saw enough of the picture to understand. Either way, the sack of shite that has become his 'legacy' does him no justice. That we've had to suffer 3 of the useless c**ts in the last decade goes a long way to explaining why it's been the worst decade the club has had since the 60s.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #993 on: October 20, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
The thing I didn't understand about the McLeish appointment was not the fact he'd been at Blues or that he'd got them relegated (although that was a headscratcher), it was that under Houllier we'd had a season of pain, but towards the end started playing some actual passing football.

Houllier then had to leave, and we tried to recruit Martinez, a manager not without his weaknesses, but all the same, known for playing passing football.

When he knocked us back, we then turned to McLeish, a manager whose style of play was the diametric opposite of what we'd gone through that painful season to start doing.

It just seemed so utterly fucking random.

Offline ez

« Reply #994 on: October 20, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »
Looked at 2 dozen odd managers and the best they came up with was Alex McLeish.  The mind boggles.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #995 on: October 20, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

They massively panicked after they couldn't convince Martinez to come. McLeish was looking for a way out at SHA anyway after relegation (think Carson Yeung slagged the team off a bit after relegation) so bit he couldn't believe his luck when we came calling.

Certainly nearly a decade ago it still feels surreal it actually happened.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #996 on: October 20, 2020, 10:03:48 PM »
The thing I didn't understand about the McLeish appointment was not the fact he'd been at Blues or that he'd got them relegated (although that was a headscratcher), it was that under Houllier we'd had a season of pain, but towards the end started playing some actual passing football.

Houllier then had to leave, and we tried to recruit Martinez, a manager not without his weaknesses, but all the same, known for playing passing football.

When he knocked us back, we then turned to McLeish, a manager whose style of play was the diametric opposite of what we'd gone through that painful season to start doing.

It just seemed so utterly fucking random.

Yep, it's as though they didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing.

Offline mike

« Reply #997 on: October 20, 2020, 10:42:29 PM »
Hang on, you’re only all saying this because he managed the other lot. He was fucking brilliant.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #998 on: October 21, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »
If I remember correctly after Steevie McClaren (the Wally with the Brolly) was turned around whilst on his way to Villa, due to fans vociferous dismay & concerns. The Club then went for Mcliesh maybe partly to say Up Yours to the fans

Offline Damo70

« Reply #999 on: October 21, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »

They massively panicked after they couldn't convince Martinez to come. McLeish was looking for a way out at SHA anyway after relegation (think Carson Yeung slagged the team off a bit after relegation) so bit he couldn't believe his luck when we came calling.

Certainly nearly a decade ago it still feels surreal it actually happened.

I can't believe it was nearly a decade ago. I remember like it was yesterday. H&V was more like a CNN rolling news channel that day. In my imagination I can see TV cameras following McLeish driving slowly from the sty to Villa Park in a white Ford Bronco.

Offline ez

« Reply #1000 on: October 21, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
He was the first manager to bring anti football to villa during my time. The games were torture to watch. I can't forget seeing him punch the air after a home draw against stoke.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1001 on: October 21, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
IIRC he punched the air after his first game in charge, a 0-0 away to Fulham.

I was doing a course at the time it was mooted he was going to be sacked, I spent at least one hour solid on here constantly pressing refresh on the computer.  I'll never forget the hope and expectation I felt when it came through he'd gone.  It doesn't matter how old I get, I never learn.

Online luke95

« Reply #1002 on: October 21, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »
If I remember correctly after Steevie McClaren (the Wally with the Brolly) was turned around whilst on his way to Villa, due to fans vociferous dismay & concerns. The Club then went for Mcliesh maybe partly to say Up Yours to the fans

That's how I remember it ,
Randy's... fuck you, this is my club & I'll do as I please.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1003 on: October 21, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
It was a terrible appointment

but I'd still take Mcliesh over Bruce even now

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1004 on: October 21, 2020, 06:09:37 PM »
He was the first manager to bring anti football to villa during my time. The games were torture to watch. I can't forget seeing him punch the air after a home draw against stoke.

Whilst I don't disagree, Gregory and O'Neill came close. The difference was that they tended to win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal