collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140257 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #960 on: October 18, 2020, 04:35:22 PM »
So, by my reckoning Doug was a good owner because he sold to Randy who must have been a good owner because he sold to Xia who must have been a good owner because he sold to NSWE.

With the exception (so far) of our current group, who called any of them good owners?

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #961 on: October 18, 2020, 04:40:11 PM »
Giving Xia credit for Edens and Swaris is like giving a drowning man credit for allowing somebody to give him the kiss of life.

He still had to make the sale to them. He got that bit right however it came about. Lerner in that sense got that bit very wrong and he had all kinds of “professionals” helping him out. Who was that bloke he used who couldn’t believe the vision of Xia and advocated Lerner sell to him?

So is it that much different to how Man City fans might view Thaksin Shinawatra who somehow sold to the richest family in the galaxy before popping into a Thai prison?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #962 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
The only thing any seller of a football club cares about is "has the buyer got the funds to complete the deal?" Anybody thinking that they care about passing the club onto a suitable custodian is a little bit naive.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #963 on: October 18, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
The only thing any seller of a football club cares about is "has the buyer got the funds to complete the deal?" Anybody thinking that they care about passing the club onto a suitable custodian is a little bit naive.

Dr Tony is the exception. Aston Villa, at the time, was a very attractive business opportunity.

I bet he had dozens of offers to consider.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #964 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »

Dr Tony is the exception. Aston Villa, at the time, was a very attractive business opportunity.

I bet he had dozens of offers to consider.

You think so? When he sold the club it was on it's last legs, hugely in debt, loads out the tax man with still a lot of value contracts on the books on players who weren't worth it. There was no guarantee at all things would turn out the way they did.

Offline TheMalandro

« Reply #965 on: October 18, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »
Come on TV! It was tongue in cheek.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #966 on: October 18, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »

I agree and it's not like Lerner was even involved much in the sale process given Hollis was appointed chairman purely to sell the club given his business and I presume far east links which is how they came across Xia. He was a de facto administrator without us going into admin.

Would love to know how Xia came onto the radar but given Hollis is still on boards of directors at various insitutions I imagine he dosen't want to do any interviews until in his retirement.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #967 on: October 18, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »

sorry mate. Clearly went over my head :)

Offline TheMalandro

« Reply #968 on: October 18, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

sorry mate. Clearly went over my head :)

Or I'm not very funny!

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #969 on: October 18, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
Well, I think that's true in part. I'd be inclined to believe Doug wouldn't have sold the club to Xia, for example. But in the current scheme of things - 100% ownership of the club with someone who has no prior ties - then it's got to be treated as a business decision, and as you'd said there's going to be no consideration behind selling the club other than getting the best price the person can for it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #970 on: October 19, 2020, 01:34:58 PM »
Well, I think that's true in part. I'd be inclined to believe Doug wouldn't have sold the club to Xia, for example. But in the current scheme of things - 100% ownership of the club with someone who has no prior ties - then it's got to be treated as a business decision, and as you'd said there's going to be no consideration behind selling the club other than getting the best price the person can for it.

Of course Doug would have sold to Xia, why wouldn't he?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #971 on: October 19, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
Doug would have sold to anyone, but you can also guarantee that if he'd been in any fit state, he would have been holding press conferences in 2018 to say he wouldn't have sold to Xia.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #972 on: October 19, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »

There were a few offers in summer 2006 weren't they? Hicks and Gillett who later took Liverpool to within a day of administration were certainly in talks and can remember that consortium who wanted Sven Goran Eriksson as manager.

He thought Lerner would be the best option and in the early seasons it was very much the right choice. In any case it's not like Ellis was ringing up people trying to flog us, think we appointed Rothschild to conduct the sale.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #973 on: October 19, 2020, 01:40:27 PM »

There were a few offers in summer 2006 weren't they? Hicks and Gillett who later took Liverpool to within a day of administration were certainly in talks and can remember that consortium who wanted Sven Goran Eriksson as manager.

He thought Lerner would be the best option and in the early seasons it was very much the right choice. In any case it's not like Ellis was ringing up people trying to flog us, think we appointed Rothschild to conduct the sale.

How much of that was down to Lerner being willing to pander to his ego and name him president emeritus?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #974 on: October 19, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
Not much i'd imagine, Lerner had the money so Ellis sold to him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal