collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91298 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Ahmed Elmohamady
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »
Optimists say he'll be an excellent addition.

Pessimists say it's a waste of money.

As that amount of money is £1m, I don't think the latter should get too worried. In the mad world of football, it's hardly risk of the century, is it?

it's this sort of post that does my head in

we can't just keep filling the squad with bang average players no what they cost,
 they will still be on big money and on contracts and will just add to the general lowering of the bar that's been going on for years now

Hull fans don't want him why should we be happy with lesser clubs cast offs,
the whole things becoming rediculous

You are totally ignoring context.

For example - sign a 1m player as a squad addition, but then go on to make more clearly higher quality signings, then that is fine.

The problem is when, say, you sign a piss cheap midfielder and then they play 100 (I mean 'a lot' here, so no need for anyone to say they've googled and it's actually 50)  games for you and look crap in almost all of them (ie Westwood) and you don't sign anyone else.

I agree with this but it backs up my point that he's not the sort of signing you make when tyou have 3-4 players in his position already because he's the sort of player you sign to cover for a year or 2 whilst Green and Bree get settled and build up some experience but we have De Laet, Hutton and Adomah who can do that already.

Was thinking about it earlier Paul - De Laet hasn't featured yet so there still must be fitness concerns, a team have put a bid in for Hutton, Bacuna is on international duty so will need some and Bree is still young and a bit raw.  On reflection, we might just need that extra cover at RB, especially early in the season.

Bacuna will be back very soon and you're not counting Richards (I understand why though) but if Hutton going is possible then I'd be more open to him coming in.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:12 AM »
So, Bruce is an idiot for signing a player he's had at two previous clubs, both of which he got promoted, who he obviously knows and trusts.

WHo knows what will happen to the players we currently have? We've possibly got a number of them lined up to go and instead of selling them first and people complaining that we're left with unsuitable cover, we're preparing and getting someone in.

As for up front, currently we have Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack and the kids and Agbonlahor. The first three, if they are committed, training well and performing to their potential should be more than enough to lead the line with support from Grelaish, Adomah, the kids, etc.

Don't panic.

That's 3 enormous 'ifs' where McCormack and Hogan are concerned.

Yes, but the reality is that they are both proven at this level. Reports so far suggest things are going well re attitude and training....

And the actual real reality is that they've both been dire for us, and the pre-season friendlies aren't doubg anything to dispel that.

And pre-season friendlies with multiple changes and substitutions mean absolute fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

McCormack wasn't well last year, so here's hoping he's in a better place. As for Hogan, he had less than four months playing with us.

However, let's agree to differ. It's like an old record, I'm optimistic, you're pessimistic. Over the last few years you've been closer to right than I have.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
When considering the validity of pre-season performance, I always think back to the Yawnthorns in 95.

A week before the start of the season, a full strength side containing all the new signings lost 1-0 to a really shit Albion team, and looked abject. This of course was on the back of staying up on the last day the previous season, so hopes were not high.

The next performance from that team was finnising the champions off by half time, and they went on to win the league cup and finished 4th.

Offline peter w

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
So, Bruce is an idiot for signing a player he's had at two previous clubs, both of which he got promoted, who he obviously knows and trusts.

WHo knows what will happen to the players we currently have? We've possibly got a number of them lined up to go and instead of selling them first and people complaining that we're left with unsuitable cover, we're preparing and getting someone in.

As for up front, currently we have Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack and the kids and Agbonlahor. The first three, if they are committed, training well and performing to their potential should be more than enough to lead the line with support from Grelaish, Adomah, the kids, etc.

Don't panic.

That's 3 enormous 'ifs' where McCormack and Hogan are concerned.

Yes, but the reality is that they are both proven at this level. Reports so far suggest things are going well re attitude and training....

And the actual real reality is that they've both been dire for us, and the pre-season friendlies aren't doubg anything to dispel that.

How can you make out that Hogan has been dire? It's like buying Gary Lineker and asking him to chase the ball into the corners and nothing more.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:01:03 AM by peter w »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »
Hogan thrived in a 4 5 1 at Brentford with them playing actual football and using his movement. He is a good player. 

McCormack has always done better with a target man type partner. They are not suited to play together at all. Selling McCormack and buying Crouch with the way Bruce wants to play would be our best business of the summer.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
When considering the validity of pre-season performance, I always think back to the Yawnthorns in 95.

A week before the start of the season, a full strength side containing all the new signings lost 1-0 to a really shit Albion team, and looked abject. This of course was on the back of staying up on the last day the previous season, so hopes were not high.

The next performance from that team was finnising the champions off by half time, and they went on to win the league cup and finished 4th.

95 wowzers. Sad twats came on the pitch at the Brummie Road End too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »
Hogan thrived in a 4 5 1 at Brentford with them playing actual football and using his movement. He is a good player. 

McCormack has always done better with a target man type partner. They are not suited to play together at all. Selling McCormack and buying Crouch with the way Bruce wants to play would be our best business of the summer.

On hogan, as I said in another thread, it is notable that he was successful in a 451. He has a real lack of physical presence, so I assume they were playing A LOT of on the ground football as well as on the break?

I wonder whether teams playing against villa will just refuse to offer the space in behind for him to run into so regularly?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
Brentford played good passing football when I saw them last season. Basically the opposite of the rubbish we serve up.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
I'm ok with it

But if he keeps green and grealish out of the team I'll be disappointed. I've assumed he's a wing back and right wing cover

Offline peter w

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
Exactly. You play a good passing game and Hogan will finish the moves off. You lump the ball to a kid on the right wing and put all your hopes on him or lump into the corners for Hogan to run onto you get what we saw at Shrewsbury and Walsall.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
Brentford played good passing football when I saw them last season. Basically the opposite of the rubbish we serve up.

It saddens me that I think you're right. I like SB the man but not SB the manager who will grind us (the supporters) into the ground. I just hope somehow we grind enough Championship teams into the ground to get into the play-offs.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »

Dean Smith would be my next choice of manager without doubt

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

I'm not sure if he's done that much there. He may have done, it's just hard to know as they played attractive, passing football from a mid-table Championship position before he arrived too.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »

No chance, we're far too big a job. He'd be swallowed whole by it.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

If our players can't pass the ball what good would Dean Smith do ?

Jesus wept. Are people seriously suggesting Bruce tells them to give the ball away and play like a bunch of spanners ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal